Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which coil? 6x10 or 4x6?

SunkenWreck

Which coil is most widely used for high trash areas? I have a yard full of nails, zinc jar lids, you name it. My thinking is, a smaller coil and slower swing speed will help with finding better targets to dig.

I think your thinking is thinking right. The 4X6 is for getting in the trashiest of yards at the expense of losing some depth, but depth should not be of a major concern in that much trash anyway.

I have hunted in areas you would think people make a special trip to dump their bottle caps, pull tabs and aluminum foil. I use the Eclipse Shooter DD. That little critter will navigate through most any of the trash. It gets up real close to metal posts and fences. I have recovered 3 rings amongst the trash at one of my favorite parks. there is a however, and that being is you have to go slow and PATIENCE!! it is well worth it. Any smaller coil will help you through the "garbage." Depth is a trade-off though with a small coil.
Good Luck

You can also use the 5.3 and it has exceptional depth compared to the 4x6. It covers more ground and has near the same level of separation, it is my favorite coil for house hunting.

Thanks, I didn't even think of the 5.3 until you mentioned it. Does the 6x10 have any advantage over the 5.3 other than footprint size?

SunkenWreck said:
Thanks, I didn't even think of the 5.3 until you mentioned it. Does the 6x10 have any advantage over the 5.3 other than footprint size?

The 6x10 has better coverage and depth. But for trashy areas the 5.3 handles the EMI and trash easily. I hunted with mine today and found $3.00 in quarters and a 1950's silver airforce pin that weighs 17grams or so. The yard was full of trash and had buried pipes everywhere. The people where so impressed with me being able to tell them what i was going to pull out of the ground they are going to buy a Whites detector. The 5.3 does it all and I have founds .22 short unfired rounds at 5.5" ringing strong.