Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which coil for Sov GT wet beach hunts?

Bill - De

I've got a GT with an 8" Tornado coil that I want to change out to something better. Thought about getting an Ultimate 13" for the Sov, but am told it is not waterproof, and they can go bad, even from using in wet grass. And I had thought they were submersible. :shrug:

So what are my choices for good depth and pinpointing, that is waterproof. I may install the Sov control box in a drybod, and chest mount it, as I am likely to wander into the surf with this machine. What do you use?

My preference is the Detech SEF 10X12. I have also used the Detech Ultimate 13" on the beach. It is water resistant is what I have been told. I unscrewed the nut from where the coil wire goes in the coil and filled everything with shoe goo. Just added a layer of protection. I have gotten it wet with no problem but have not submerged it more than a few inches. Both the 10X12 and the 13 will have you digging some deep holes in the wet sand. The 10" Tornado is also a water proof coil and it gives very good depth also.

I use the X-cal for most of my beach work and it has the 10" coil. It gets plenty deep for this old man.

I have used my gt with 10in coil and 14in wot ..both get good depth,the wot occasionally gets super depth but for surf hunting the 8 or 10 are your best bet and many guys prefer the 8in over the10in as depth is simular and the 8in has less resistance to the moving water... ideally the excal would be the way to go,but there is some sort of clamshell case that the control box can be installed in but you cant make adjustments unless you open the case.. and of course those delaware and maryland waves have tendency to sneak up on a guy and knock him on his can before he even knows what's happened.... 8 or 10in coil should get all the depth you need if your machine is set up right for conditions.... good luck.. yes ive also heard that the 13 in coil is not submersible. ...

Ive tested my 13 against the standard 10". The 13 is without a doubt the best coil for dry sand hunting, great depth sensistivity to small targets and covers a lot of ground fast. Weight wise about the same as the 10 and i find it more balanced. Now......... near the water the advantage starts moving to the 10" the closer you get to the water. It can run more sensitivity than the 13 and is more stable. Ive never had an issue with the 13 IN THE WATER. I do however always use teflon tape under the coil cable nut on all my water machines. Personally id just pick up a standard coil. You arent going to find any smaller gold with that 8" but you will cover a lot more sand.

The Ultimate 13 is a killer in the wet beach sand, especially if you "reverse hunt". It is light enough to use for long periods without a Detecting Buddy type sling and it pinpoints well. The tones are spot on. Mine is definitely waterproof to at least 2 feet ( I have a waterproofed GT with a hard wired Ultimate 13). I rarely use a WOT coil anymore on my backup Sov GT, the Ultimate 13 is easier to use as it requires much less coil control effort.

I usually travel with a Sov GT/ 8 inch Tornado/ Ultimate 13 and leave the Tornado 10 inch at home.

If you get a coil larger than 10 inches, you may want to use it in all metal for a while to tame the coil control issue. In all metal you can hear the detector straining before the threshold blows up, in discriminate you only hear the false (the final blow up). I make myself do this, especially if I switch out the coils during a hunt. I can throw the 8 inch all over the place and it rarely complains, not so with the larger coils.

HH

Thanks for all that info... I am juts beginning to learn this GT, even though I bought it some time ago. I am very interested in how you made the GT control box watertight. I have seen a few photos of them after being done, but also read complaints that the controls are inaccessible after installation, due to tight space.

I do have a 13" Ultimate coming my way, which I was only going to use on dry/wet sand, due to not being waterproof, but I have read as many reports that it is, than not. When I get it (tomorrow), I may check the tightness of the straing relief/nut, and may use some Lexcel sealant around the base of the cable. Lexcel sealant is an elastomeric sealant that does not harden, but also does not disolve or seperate from the surface, as do the silicone sealants

Again, thanksssssssssss

I have and used the 13 ULT on my Excalibur in OC MD on the wetsand into very shallow water and it's fine. I believe it to be water proof for I have used in deep waters in the Bay, the issue is it's a super sensitive coil and the saltwater sets it off, so It only worked into about one foot then started falsing, the deeper I went the worse it got. But the coil worked fine at the Ocean into very shallow water with no issues. I think I did a demo to Bouthyhoundpa when we went hunting one time in OCMD 2014. A CTX Hunter with a stock coil had just gridded the drysand near the towel line. I went right over his gridding and pulled several coins he missed, and not because of coverage but because the CTX could not hear them, all very deep. So what Sonnar28 above said is very true, It's a Killer deep coil on the GT or Excalibur...for wetsand, very shallow water, and drysand.. I hunt only in PP with the Excalibur and then toggle to Discriminate to check after a few scoops. I believe it to be inch's deeper then the WOT....

I water proofed my Sovereign XS2 many years ago by putting it in the water proof bag, then a backpack, hunting OC.. it was fine unless like you said I needed to adjust the settings.

I responded to this question on another forum, but I wanted to second what OBN said. I surf hunt to knee deep and the 13" ultimate kicks butt. It has more chatter than the SEF 12 x 10 in the wash but I think it is deeper in the wet sand. I never had a problem with water hurting the coil.

I believe the salinity of the water has a lot to do with it. Here in N/E Fl. Some days I will get falsing with my 10x12 SEF. and other days it runs a lot smoother and that also goes with my 13" Ultimate coil, Wot coil too. Try tasting the water but don't drink it LOL! Some days their is more salt in the water then other days. Something to look at. I'm sure that's one reason coils false.

Ronnie L

rl48off said:
I believe the salinity of the water has a lot to do with it. Here in N/E Fl. Some days I will get falsing with my 10x12 SEF. and other days it runs a lot smoother and that also goes with my 13" Ultimate coil, Wot coil too. Try tasting the water but don't drink it LOL! Some days their is more salt in the water then other days. Something to look at. I'm sure that's one reason coils false.

Ronnie L

Yep, the 13 is ramped up so it's more sensitive to the salt and surroundings ..