Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Larger Coil Should I Get for Etrac?

rluna

So, I'm looking for a bigger coil with more depth. I've narrowed
it down to these two:

* NEL BIG 15x17 http://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/pr...nel-big?id=284

* NEL Attack 15 x 15 DD http://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/pr...-attack?id=308

Spent two hours searching and reading and there isn't much of anything
said about these two coils for the Etrac after about 2016.

I have the ultimate 13 and I do love that coil but I am
looking to get more depth as we have really done a number
on the area parks down to about 9 or 10 inches.

My buddy who has the CTX with the 17" coil not only hits
some deeper coins but even the ones that he gets at 10 or 11
inches that my etrac can get a signal with.......the signal with
my etrac is much more faint and might be something that if
I went over may not even dig.

But like I said there isn't much of any, current reviews/info on these two coils
for the etrac.

Is anyone using either of these coils? If so could you share your thoughts and opinons
on them.

Thanks Much
Randy

There’s the Coiltek WOT 15” coil as well Randy, I don’t know if that’s a consideration or not. Also IF you’re running Auto+3, it’s smooth and all but I’m personally getting considerably better performance from a manual setting on my Explorer2 and the Ultimate. Whatever you decide, I think you’re headed in the right direction....DEEPER!:thumbup:

IDXMonster said:
There’s the Coiltek WOT 15” coil as well Randy, I don’t know if that’s a consideration or not. Also IF you’re running Auto+3, it’s smooth and all but I’m personally getting considerably better performance from a manual setting on my Explorer2 and the Ultimate. Whatever you decide, I think you’re headed in the right direction....DEEPER!:thumbup:

Occasionally I'll run manual but man it is so noisy. Even in areas that are not real trashy I'll switch to manual and
It's like it instantly became trashy...lol
Do you think the 15" wot is deeper than the ultimate 13?

5900_XL-1 said:
I love the Detech 10x12 myself.
I wouldn't think that the 10x12 would be deeper than the Ultimate 13

It isn't but the 10X12 seperates better.-----I've owned/used both those coils & like them both, they both are very effective hunters.-----Del
rluna said:
IDXMonster said:

Occasionally I'll run manual but man it is so noisy. Even in areas that are not real trashy I'll switch to manual and
It's like it instantly became trashy...lol
Do you think the 15" wot is deeper than the ultimate 13?

5900_XL-1 said:
I love the Detech 10x12 myself.
I wouldn't think that the 10x12 would be deeper than the Ultimate 13

I hear you about the noise in manual! It has its place, but it’s certainly not EVERY place. I think the WOT would be deeper than a 13” Detech just due to a larger field being generated. That’s a “somewhat educated” guess. I don’t know if you want to spend money on a somewhat educated guess...:)

I went ahead and ordered the Nel Attack....I'm exited to compare it to the Ultimate 13

https://www.colonialmetaldetectors.com/nel-attack-coil-minelab-fbs.html

Congrats on the new coil purchase Randy.-----Let us know the comparison results you get on those two coils please.--------Del------
rluna said:
I went ahead and ordered the Nel Attack....I'm exited to compare it to the Ultimate 13

https://www.colonialmetaldetectors.com/nel-attack-coil-minelab-fbs.html

Thanks! I'll post back on here......It may take a few weeks

Good man! Hopefully Wisconsin gives us a little more time to work with this fall. We certainly deserve it! :yo:

D&P-OR said:
Congrats on the new coil purchase Randy.-----Let us know the comparison results you get on those two coils please.--------Del------

Ok Del, here's my comparison between the 13" Ultimate VS Nel Attack:

(1) The Attack does not separate nearly as good as the Ultimate...but it doesn't have too because this
certainly isn't the type of coil your going to use in trashy or even minimally trashy areas.

(2) The Attack also does not Id nearly as good. The numbers are way more jumpy is how I would describe it.
And also the depth is off by about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. If it shows 8 inches it's actually around 6 - 6 1/2"

(4) The Depth is really good. I did go to an area that I knew had deep silver and dug the deepest silver I have ever
dug at 12" It was a mercury dime. 2" above my 10" pin pointer as shown in picture.

Maybe I could have heard the signal with the Ultimate but it would not have been a strong signal and probably iffy.
What impressed me with the Attack is that it was a good signal....not iffy.
That coin could have been down another inch and I still would have got it.
Keep in mind, this area was very clean. You could walk 10 - 20 feet and not hear a peep.

(3) The sound also is still really good. Similar to the Ultimate.

So what is my conclusion.
The Attack is very good for what it does and that is find deep coins in cleaned out areas.
This is why I bought the Attack in the first place and is what I was looking for.

The way I see it is, if its not a cleaned out area the big coil isn't going to work that well any way.
That's where the Ultimate or my 5x8 comes in. Or even the stock coil on the Etrac.

So if your looking for more depth in those cleaned out areas. 12 -13 inch coins. Maybe even 14" on a quarter.
I don't think you will be disappointed with the Attack. For me, its a great addition to my arsenal.
Keep in mind that this review is for the Attack on the Etrac. The Attack is not going to be the same on a different
detector. I'm not saying worse or better, just not the same.

Next year I would like to get the Nel Big and do some comparing :)

That’s awesome Randy, NOW....it’s time to go search ALL those cleaner areas you thought were “cleaned out”. This is what some guys are realizing after beating their heads against the wall looking for more sites with any kind of production. There ARE coins there. Nobody else was able to reach them!
I’m stoked to see the X-1 in the pic....one of three “must haves” for the serious hunter, along with the RNB and BIG coils! Good to hear the Attack is a great performer also, ANY edge these days is indeed an edge we need! Keep crankin’ over there!:super:

Your right about the "three must haves" Del. I do have the RNB battery. I suppose I could
use the regular batteries but I would have to keep three charged ones with me for the 6 plus hour
hunts I do on occasion. I would definitely have to have two of them for sure. The probe is another,
"would not want to hunt without" accessory. I think a probe is something that should come built in to every detector
that is $500 or more. It makes hunting with a pinpointer seem primitive...lol I use my pinpointer as an accessory to
the probe when I want to really narrow down on a deep silver after using the probe so I dont scratch it getting out of
the bottom of the hole. Happy Hunting Buddy!

I have the NEL Tornado, NEL Storm and NEL Attack coils.
The NEL Tornado is my main coil I use for all areas as it separates extremely well for the size and has great depth.
Until my arm pain got bad again I was using the NEL Storm this summer and was really impressed with its depth and separation as
I was using it in junky parks as well and would nail something deep almost every where I went.
This summer in Auto+3 I got a couple true 12 inch deep Indian head pennies with it and a few very deep quarters and dimes including a very deep 1900
quarter out of our large pounded park downtown (circa 1877).

The NEL Attack is very deep but I felt I could manage swinging the Storm coil better for those coins at fringe depth.

Dave

rluna said:
D&P-OR said:

Ok Del, here's my comparison between the 13" Ultimate VS Nel Attack:

(1) The Attack does not separate nearly as good as the Ultimate...but it doesn't have too because this
certainly isn't the type of coil your going to use in trashy or even minimally trashy areas.

(2) The Attack also does not Id nearly as good. The numbers are way more jumpy is how I would describe it.
And also the depth is off by about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. If it shows 8 inches it's actually around 6 - 6 1/2"

(4) The Depth is really good. I did go to an area that I knew had deep silver and dug the deepest silver I have ever
dug at 12" It was a mercury dime. 2" above my 10" pin pointer as shown in picture.

Maybe I could have heard the signal with the Ultimate but it would not have been a strong signal and probably iffy.
What impressed me with the Attack is that it was a good signal....not iffy.
That coin could have been down another inch and I still would have got it.
Keep in mind, this area was very clean. You could walk 10 - 20 feet and not hear a peep.

(3) The sound also is still really good. Similar to the Ultimate.

So what is my conclusion.
The Attack is very good for what it does and that is find deep coins in cleaned out areas.
This is why I bought the Attack in the first place and is what I was looking for.

The way I see it is, if its not a cleaned out area the big coil isn't going to work that well any way.
That's where the Ultimate or my 5x8 comes in. Or even the stock coil on the Etrac.

So if your looking for more depth in those cleaned out areas. 12 -13 inch coins. Maybe even 14" on a quarter.
I don't think you will be disappointed with the Attack. For me, its a great addition to my arsenal.
Keep in mind that this review is for the Attack on the Etrac. The Attack is not going to be the same on a different
detector. I'm not saying worse or better, just not the same.

Next year I would like to get the Nel Big and do some comparing :)

A bigger coil doesn't add depth so much as it enhances the signal.

Xdigger said:

Hmmm? So....The larger coil does something to the signal that causes the deeper coin
to be seen where it wouldn't be seen on a smaller coil.

I think were both saying the same thing.

Your calling it an "Enhanced Signal"
Most everyone else calls it "Added Depth"....lol

rluna said:
Xdigger said:

Hmmm? So....The larger coil does something to the signal that causes the deeper coin
to be seen where it wouldn't be seen on a smaller coil.

I think were both saying the same thing.

Your calling it an "Enhanced Signal"
Most everyone else calls it "Added Depth"....lol

Try an air test.

The bigger the coil, the more masking you will get. It is a trade-off in maximum sizing for depth and unmasking. I consider 13 inches the max depth in detection and separation. I also read that from a forum sometime in the past. I still contend that the Detech 10x12 is superior. jmho

Xdigger said:
Try an air test.

If there were two machines where an air test wouldn't do
much for accurately checking what ever your trying to test
by doing an air test, it would be the Etrac or the Ctx.

For whatever reason, the Minelab Etrac and Ctx can not
grab that signal through the air very well at all.

The only way you are accurately going to check signals
(for what ever reason you are checking them for) is to do
your testing with coins that are in the ground.
Not planted coins but coins that have actually been there.

Maybe finding a 11 - 12 inch coin with the big coil and then
checking it with the smaller coil.

Without having done this test I would think that the smaller
coil is either not going to hear it or the signal would be weaker.

I do know that with the bigger coil the signals that I retrieve at 9-10" are louder.