Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which pinpointer?

Thegreat26

hi there. I know that this thread is common but i need help fast. Basically i thought that i would never need a pinpointer but after digging 18in in hard soil for recovering a large piece of lead i realised that it would be much easier if i had a pinpointer. The s1 is nice but messy, the pistolprobe is big, and the garret pro pointer looks nice. Which is better and why. Thanx in advance

#1 S1
#2 Garrett Pro
#3 Uniprobe built in headphones
#4 Pistol Probe

The S-1 add a little weight, but it run off the curcuity of the Sovereign so it is like a 1 inch coil as it disc like your Sovereign and it just a flip of a switch to change from coil to the probe.
For the money the Garrett pro is a very nice pinpointer and don't have the depth of the S-1 but cost less and it does not disc so it will see anything that is metal.
The Uni Probe is probably the deepest with the probe smaller in diameter but it too will pick up anything that is metal and these are built in some of the best headphones out there, so even though cost more you get a great set of headphones also.
The Pistol probe is big as you see plus it looks too much like a weapon a you may scare many in public places with the looks of it. I also found the audio was too high pitched for me to hear when it seen a target.

for me

1 Pocket uniprobe(if you can find one) similar to Uniprobe but has small control box instead of headphones, proximity id as the closer you get the louder it beeps, deep, no discrimination, wire tends to fail close to conector
2 S1 - Can only be used on the sovereign, has discrimination same as detector settings, In rain if box gets wet it goes crazy
3 Garrett Pro - no disc, gives proximity id same as in 1
4 pistolprobe - detects from tip to too far up shaft, cumbersome, little or no idea of proximity, cheap plasticy feel
5 the rest

I have not tried the uniprobe in headphones version

I don't need anything more attached to my detector to add more weight ....I would rather carry my pointer .....I also hope that I pinpoint well enough using my detector to be able to come somewhat close to my target before testing it with my handheld pointer ...... I got a Pistol Probe as part of a package with my detector ....I saw the shape of it , and all the controls on it, and how cheaply it looked to be made, and knew right away it was not for me .... My buddy has a Garrett Pro Pointer and I used that for a day ....It not only beeps, but also vibrates to tell you how close you are to your target ....It gets as much depth as you need , but not nearly as much as the uneeded depth as the Pistol Probe ..... I want my pointer to tell me that I am close ...I dont need a pointer to beep when I am 4-5 inches away from a target ...That to me is more of hinderance than a help ... The Garrett is more compact, better made, and the battery lasts forever in it, plus it comes with a nice holder which attaches to your belt .....Great product ....Jim

thank you all. I think i ve decided. The garret would be fine. The only reason i m not choosing s1 is not because its not the best but because i want to be able to use my probe also for my explorer. The only thing that concerns me is that i have to buy it from ebay

the name is not an issue. The warranty is.

You cannot beat the Pocket Uniprobe. They don't make them anymore you'll have to find one used but I haven't found any pinpointer that compares. It does not hit from the side like the Garrett's does. It only signals from the tip and will usually give you 4 inches on a coin... when I use mine and get interference from the multi frequencies of the FBS or BBS Minelabs I just flip the stereo/mono switch on the headphones and all is well.

I imagine the Pistol Probe works just as well but it is a large unit... it's long and looks a little like a gun which I suppose can be a good thing.

I have and sometimes use the Garrett's pinpointer too but mostly as a backup now. The Garrett's does not play well with an F75. When the Garretts is off the coil will interact with the F75 coil because they are tuned closely, turn the probe on and it is no longer a problem... weird but true. If you wear the Garretts on your left hip and have it off it will make the F75 LTD "wow" at the end of each left sweep.

J

jbow, i found that the pistolprobe is just not in the same league as the pocket uniprobe, its big and cumbersome and has a cheap plasticy feel(made in china too)but thats not the worst, it detects almost all the way up the thick shaft, not too important when your rumaging through the dirt/sand outside the hole but when your in the hole looking for the lost target it is most annoying as the target could be in any part of the wall of the hole. I just don't like it to the point i got rid of it and now have 2 pocket uniprobes, (found an almost new one on a forum an snapped it up sharpish for a spare)
I hang a small earplug inside one of the sunrays cups from the supplied jack to hear it(not plugged into the ear) and it works a lot better than listening to the main speaker, (onlookers can't hear it either)

I hang a small earplug inside one of the sunrays cups from the supplied jack to hear it(not plugged into the ear) and it works a lot better than listening to the main speaker, (onlookers can't hear it either)

That is a great idea! I'll have to try that, there is nothing that rivals the pocket uniprobe IMO. I have an S-1 inline probe but I never use it anymore because the PUP is so much better.

J

For most looking for a pinpointer to use with just the Sovereign the S-1 would be hard to beat.Second choice especially with economics concerns and multiple detectors the Garrett Pro pinpointer.Third Whites Bullseye ll good ergonomics one of the best for surface targets.Even though the Pistol Probe is made in China and has a cheap feel this pinpointer is the best for deep and multiple targets,does require getting use to.My opinion of the Uni pro I noticed the extra weight of the headphones and didn't like the performance,did notice the price though.