Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

which response and why?

McDean

curious what everyone uses primarily and why... I use normal because everything else just sounds like a trainwreck to me and it seems more like a blade coming straight down :ninja: except for pitchhold but I think it uses up some of the processing power causing lag...

Thoughts?
comments?
Theory?

HH Dean

I am new to detecting and currently using normal and only 2 tones.

Here's my theory/logic for coin hunting:

Have you ever found a coin or other small object? I'm sure you have. How did you pick it out of the pile of dirt or sand that you just dug up? You many have got lucky and saw the object and picked it right off the top of the pile. If not, you might have used a secondary pinpoint device to find the object quickly. If you had to find it by hand, how do you do it? I think most people split the dirt in half and test one pile and then the other to eliminate the pile that had no tone and keeps the other. It's only logical to keep splitting the pile of dirt in half until you have narrowed it down to a handful that contains the object you are looking for. Even then you sometimes have to keep splitting the handful of dirt in half until you narrow it down enough to find that little object.

So......

I look at the entire ground the same way. I have to keep splitting it in half until I find what I am looking for.

On the E-Trac I have 35 FE levels and 50 CO levels on the screen which totals up to 1750 possible grid coordinates. That is a lot of possibilities. How can I split that in half and in crease my odds of finding what I am looking for?

I need a way to narrow down the 1750 possibilities into a more manageable pile of dirt.

The 2 tone Ferrous setting does that for me. In TTF mode everything from FE 1 to 17 gives me a high tone and everything from 18 to 35 FE gives me a low tone. I have, in essence, split the ground in half by splitting the screen in half. Now I have eliminated 900 low tone possibilities and kept the 850 high tones for further inspection. Sure, more experienced hunters may be able to pick out some foreign coin out of the lower numbers, or the anomaly that tells them that there is a good US coin amongst that bad tone area. I am not that hunter. I have to increase my odds as much as possible and play the percentages.

So now my pile of dirt has 850 possibilities. Of those, I need to narrow it down some more to increase my odds even further. How about using the E-Trac emulator and documenting all of the valid signals for US coins? Seems like a logical thing to do since that's what I am looking for.

OK, done. Now I have narrowed the 850 possibilities down to about 110. That's a good split of the pile. If I'm a little more liberal in my ranges maybe it's only 200 that will yield what I want.

So that's my logic. The normal two tones helps me split the dirt from 1750, down to 850, down to 200. Time to dig and start splitting the dirt even further.....

Coolhandluke... for someone new to the Etrac, that's a very logical and intelligent way of looking at it. I may have to give TTF another try and I have the perfect place to check it out. I will be using "normal" audio of course. I think "smooth" and "long" response will have their place perhaps if targets are few and far between...

in iron I have used long on my explorer. I think on etrac is smooth. What I learned using smooth- that its very painful and sucking energy from the brain very fast, after 3 hours detecting you can feel its to much, but its look like with smooth you can pick up a bit better between iron, but its not much worth. in situation where you can hear only iron better to use other detector like Tejon or something similar and do job faster and not with pain.
etrac -explorer have limits what they can see or cant, near iron. for this situation now I have another detector to comply with my explorer. its much more easy and logical. good luck Stasys

......have tried Smooth, Long & Pitch hold......mine now stays on Normal now.
I find it gives a nice crisp and sharp response to targets.

Gaz.

I also like the sharp tone of Normal on targets.

I am used to it and although I will use the long occaisionaly I dont like to change the response much as It will make me think I am over a larger target because I am used to the Normal response. I do change the setting occasionally but am getting where I need the response to stay the same for me to have constant sound recognition to base off of with other changes.

I