Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which White's..MXT Pro, other New machine..or PRO XL...or.....

Mike(NC)

Some other used White's machine. I have several different detectors, but one of my favorites is the older White's PRO XL. But to be honest I have not even picked up an MXT or it's newer brother, the Pro. I know it is hard to go wrong with White's. The detector is not going to be for myself; but for a long time good friend. John has never done any MD'ing and will be using it for various tasks to include some old ranches he knows of in Texas. So he will be out for the normal coins and cool doo dads, but also for the relics and who knows where MD'ing will lead him. John wants a good dependable and versatile detector. When I was explaining some of the various models over the phone...visual ID came up. I explained all the various targets that mimic each other, some which are keepers and some that ID exactly the same go in the trash. John understands that , but thinks the fun factor of an "ID" machine is best for him and his wife. So there is the short of it. Any help will be greatly appreciated....Mike

Hi Mike... I've never had the privelege of using the Pro XL so I can't say anything good or bad but I have the MXT-300 and the MXT Pro and I like the visual ID. I've found that it's the thrill of the hunt. If the ID shows a ring, Then it creates abit more excitement for my wife and I and if it digs a ring, well then, it's a great day. If it digs anything else, it's still a great day 'cause we're spending time outdoors, enjoying each others company, getting some much needed exercise and we both enjoy MDing no matter what we dig. You really never know what you've got 'til you see it with your own eyes. I'm trying to get to know the sounds 'cause it semms that different objects/metal have slightly different tones and then I look at my ID. I love my whites machines... In the beginning, I thought I was gonna be overwhelmed learning the machine but I learned a lot from the great people of this forum and reading and going out and using it. I added additional coils and the DX-1 probe and Sunray Pro Gold headphones. HH Jack from NH

Thanks Jack...Yes, I have had some tone ID machines and that is a nice feature for sure. The Pro XL has an analog meter. Some think of it as 'old technology', but they are excellent detectors. I watched a video on the MXT Pro and it looks like an excellent machine as well. Thanks for your input...MIke

If you like Analog, the XL is a very nice machine. There is one for sale on the classifieds now.

Thanks Larry...This is the same Mike that has been emailing you about a couple different machines to include that Pro XL for my buddy John. I'm going to try and call him tonight and see when he's coming back from deer hunting. Thanks again for all your help...Mike

Well I been the TID route, and have gone back to the good old beep and dig! I had to find out the hard way.But since going to the older model beep and dig detectors my finds in jewelry dept.have gone up....I can't help but wonder how much good stuff I ignored or missed with TID detectors..i would love to get my hands on a XL, they are getting top dollar right now as used detectors. TID is nice but the no bells and whistle detectors pay off I have found IMHO

There is a huge risk when you rely on TID. But as long as you understand that and dig what you know should be dug...TID can still be fun. Thanks for your comments...Mike

I guess I don't understand how a White's TID detector would make your jewelry finds drop unless you just ignored some of the lower VDI's. Some other brands of detectors are known to do not so well with the lower conductors, but not White's, you could just cover the TID and you have a beep and dig machine but I found the TID a big asset with low conductors. I found these with a DFX and V3.

[attachment 209744 Persistence.jpg]

There is a huge risk when you rely solely on TID to decide whether your target is trash or not. But as long as you understand that and dig what you know should be dug...TID can still be fun and also find all the gold rings and other low conductivity targets that your beep & dig machine does. You just cannot let the meter dictate that you do not dig a target because it could be a pulltab or a piece of foil...as we all know what else falls into that 'junk' category. Thanks for your comments...Mike

And nice finds there! Them meters are fun and accurate. A digger just has to understand that the small scrap wad of foil ID's the same as an expensive gold and diamond engagement ring. So many junk / good targets mimic each other right up the TID scale. I think Woodchuck knows that but let the TID make some decisions for him; whereas with his beep & dig...the only decision was to dig because it could be anything. I've been influenced by TID as well, especially after getting a bit tired..and lazy; but I did know what I could be leaving behind in the ground...Mike

Tone ID is one of the most misunderstood options comparing a machine with or without it. It is all how you have it set and what you are wanting to pay attention to. The "older" analog tech has strengths with audio (hearing current ramp ups and fall offs) and glancing to see where your adjustments all are....if you think of them as "old school" you will go into them with a prejudice that will short change how good they are. (The small box ones have modern weight and ergonomics also.) It takes all of 30 seconds for me to get all "warm and fuzzy" when picking up my analog again. Most situations produce this affect with me.....it's the "other situations"" that has me running the newest top machine most of the time. However, you will never see me feeling "short changed" when I make the "educated" choice to hunt with my top end analog, and in these situations....all comers (and my friends who use them ALL agree). It is just to learn your choice well....and milk it for all it's worth...that's called living well.

Both choices have upsides.

In the end.....I will never revert back to analog as my primary. (Same as, I will never have a muscle car, as my primary driver....too many comforts will be missed and too many "curves" not being able to be taken.) It is not an either/or thing and am so glad my analog does not require a garage for maintenance! I want a couple of my past cars so bad..........................................:hot: Scott

My buddy John bought a MXT Pro from Richard at Backwoods Detectors last night. Sounds like he got a great deal on it from Richard to boot:super: After he gets some learning curve and finds under his belt, I wouldn't be surprised to see John over here on the MXT forum both bragging on some finds and looking for program advice. Thanks again...Mike

Hello everyone!
I've been wandering the same thing, I'm partial to detectors that have "Tones" like my old Mark-1
and my New X-Terra 705......But I'm also Very Fond of my "Almost Brand New" 6000 XL Pro sitting in the closet that
I never used. Have the Tone kit for it also just in case I want to install it....I sold one Xl Pro and traded
the other that I had for the X-Terra and now I only have the one XL Pro left beside my Newly acquired IDX Pro.
I been looking at the MXT Pro myself as I see it has tones and from what the videos show it seems like another Great whites Machine.
I have also been looking at the V3i also with all the multi frequency and and sweep speed adjustments
and tones as well... Plus whites excellent service if you should ever need it..
I was wandering would I be wise in letting my LAST XL Pro go to help fund for a newer whites? Is there
any Real advantage that maybe someone could possibly help clear up when comparing my Older analog to
the newer digital Whites detectors...The last time I sold all my XL Pro's to fund another brands
new Model I end up regretting it.....I would hate to sell my last 6000 XL and regret it also!....There getting
harder to find and more expensive as the years pass it seems...What do you guy's Think?

IMG_3597.jpg

My IDX Pro To be sent to Mr. Bill for All His Mods

IDXProNew3.jpg

You stated that you regretted selling that XL PRO if you let go
of this unit you may regret it worst.
This classic is a unit lots of the guys would like to own.
I don't have one myself but would like to get my hands on one.
I have the 5900 Whites and the IDX PRO with Mr Bills mode
plus the MXT ,XLT all thats missing is the XL PRO
I think you'd be wise to hold on to it and get your other
units when you can swing it.

Thanks Joe!
I know in my heart you are right!......I'm going to send it off to get
the tone mod installed...... Then the IDX Pro afterwards....
Duggr