Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites BHID or BHID 300?

roseon3rd

Ok, which is the better of the two in salt water? I have seen and found several of the BHID machines with the black coils for sale in the 400.00 + range. I haven't found a used BHID 300 so I'm considering buying a new one for several hundred dollars more. That being said, which one will be my best bet for salt water say waist to chest deep?
As always, Thanks for the help!

Curt aka roseon3rd

The 12" coil seems to be the coil of choice for the BHID, not only for more coverage and depth, but I believe the 12" is buoyancy neutral, or at least, less buoyant than the 950. If you can get a really good buy on an older BHID, you can send it to White's and they can change the coil to the 12" for less than $200 I believe.

If you're looking to get in the water I wouldn't recommend the BHID. Get the Dual Field or the PI Pro. However, if you do go with the BHID then I would definately consider the 12" coil. Just my opinion. Good luck!

If you decide to go with a used detector, either the White's PI or the BHID, make sure you get one with the red rubber gasket and not the Black gasket. The black gasket was the first one used on White's water machines. They were found to deteriorate after time leading to leaks. This is the gasket that seals the two halves of the control box.

This is going to go against the grain here, but bigger is not necessary better.

If your in a area that has tough mineralized ground, including in the water, you will be better served by using the smaller coil, not the 12" one. The 12" one see's considerable more ground than the black 9.5" one. That also relates to more ground related interference problems.

The smaller coil will perform better for you in trashy areas, most certainly while hunting in the water, and the pinpointing will be better.

This is not to say the 12" is a bad choice, but to inform you the the smaller 9.5" isn't bad either. :)

Mr. Bill

Ok, thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Is the only problem with the BHID the fact that the coil tends to float? I've gone back and read most of the post I can find on the older BHID and it appears the only real problem I can see is that the coil floats. I've also read the fixes such as: sand filled sock, water filled plastic pipe, etc. But here's my only concern: will it hunt under water, say at chest deep, without falsing every time the waves come in? I can deal with the floating coil but I've had both the Surf Master II Plus and the Tiger Shark and both of these falsed alot in the surf which limited my search area.

Thanks,
Curt aka roseon3rd

My BHID does not false at all in the wave action. It is not the deepest detecting machine but it is not bad and I find it to be pretty much hassle free at the beach.