Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

whites coils for mxt

destructo

wondering if the large 12 inch coil is worth having. i have a 4x6 shooter coil and am looking at a used mxt with d2 coil and 9.5 inch coil. Or i can buy new with either the 9.5 or 12 inch coil and 150$ whites cash for another coil. Maybe 6x10.

i hunt public places that are a little trashy and freshwater beach a few times a year. Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated. D

The 12" concentric coil is good for fields that have not been inhabited or just really clean areas. I cannot think of many PROS for the 12" stock coil, I have one and never use it. It would cover more SURFACE ground per sweep than SOME coils, but the shape of the signal from a large DD coil has even better coverage AT DEPTH.(see pic#2) At depth, a concentric coil only covers a tiny point so even if you step just 2" or 3" you could miss a dime at the max depth for the coil. Most lawns and within city limits will have iron and trash that will beckon a different coil so you don't null or mask.

This image shows the signal shape of concentric coils vs DD coils. As you can see, the concentric coil(12" and 950 stock) will have 3 targets in the signal at the same time, making that barber all but impossible to see.
___CONCENTRIC COIL_____________DD COIL____
http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/uploads/2/4/7/2/2472162/4074187.jpg
This image shows the COVERAGE front to back and demonstrates how thin the signal is side to side of a DD coil.
__Concentric_______DD(front to back)____DD(sideview)
http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/uploads/2/4/7/2/2472162/5980892.jpg
Another scenario, this is what a lot of parks would look like.....
http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/uploads/2/4/7/2/2472162/95455.jpg?538x157
Source: http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/2/post/2009/09/shes-right-you-really-dont-need-an-additional-searchcoil.html

I have used the 12" & found it to be hard to hunt with, I use the 6x10 for the most part. In areas where there is a lot of trash the 4x6 is great, in the event I hunt a large lot with little trash I go to the D2 10" coil & find that it is easier to use as well as better at pin pointing with than the 12" coil. Once I go over the lot with the D2 I will hit it again with the 6x10.

i am a newbie to MXT and digital but not detecting. where the 950 i have is so easy to pinpoint, like said in another post BY THE ENGINEER OF THE UNIT- the MXT was designed around the 6x10DD. and several gurus i know swear by the DD, including who sold me the machine, who also repairs and mods and is nationally respected. . my other choice would be the 5.3 and i soon be looking around for one, when i get better with the MXT. thats what another guru who has used one since its inception uses, and takes his time and picks.

Short and sweet. I wouldn't want the big 12" coil nor do I have it. HH, Nancy

I sold the 12" that came with my MXT now I have the 5.3 and 8X6 SEF. I just purchased the 6X10 DD and a 12X10 SEF. I want to test them out in the desert here and once I find what works best in my soil I will be keeps the best and sell the others. I just want one big and one small coil. I am thinking about finding a nice flat area of desert then going over it with the larger coil one at a time and marking the finds only. Recording details for each marked spot then going over it with the smaller coils one at a time. Once I have my results dig every thing then try another spot do the same procedure but start with coil I went with second. I am thinking a 10 x10 patch. I want to look for depth, target id and pinpointing. Crisp signals all those good things. I noticed a recent post with nearly the same coils so I am wondering about results over different ground. I am sure someone else on different ground could come up with totally opposite results. Should be interesting. The 6X10 DD got hung up in bad weather so it will be next week before I see it. I was hoping for tomorrow with it.

RedRockNv, that sounds like a good idea. All the talk about comparisons can blur reality. One thing I have noticed though, each coil style will have an advantage(and cons) over another style. If you were to compare ONLY coils within the 10" size range, an eliptical, concentric, DD and SEF style each have pros and cons. I don't think everybody has the time or energy to exhaust all of their coil options when searching out a given spot but I do believe that no matter what coil you settle on there will always be a different style coil that can find stuff missed by the previous coils. But thats also what makes the hobby so fun because you can bring your custom setup to a hunted out area and still find good stuff. The one specific coil style that has had WAY more usage than all the others would be concentric coils. Thats why I try to use a different style since "HUNTED OUT" mostly just means it has been hunted out with CONCENTRIC coils in the 70's and 80's. Any other coil style will again produce some good targets in these areas, especially if you are persistent in trashy areas with a specialized coil.

I have been using the D2 and love it. Depth, weight, seperation, pinpointing, I really like everything about it. I use it in fields, parks, etc.

so right on the hunted out stuff Aaron. my own little backyard. tons of iron and steel from mechanics who lived here. my tesoros spit and sputter over the iron, all have concentrics. yea i found clad and other stuff. the compass xp runs silent and picked stuff out. concentric again. NOW the MXT and 6x10 has opened up a new window. even the 950. the Compass rivals in depth, but the Mxt is showing me what it is with fairly accurate ID. oh the washers mimic coins, but thats ok- if it hits a copper or brass washer at these depths thats cool.that means it will pick a coin out, and has! this yard had farmfield dirt brought in too. so anything is possible in this ground. i am digging iron too to remove it anyhow, and the id is also accurate.

i have a budget thats tight, but next splurge may be a D2 and/or 5.3. eventually all of them! and a backup detector that uses them too--maybe shoot for a MXTpro and mxt for the backup-- that that sounds nice..... if the wife reads this i'm in trouble...lol!

That D2 is one coil I mean to try in the not to distant future. I have only heard good things about it. The D2 or 6x10 should be stock with the MXT (IMO) and is (6X10) on the SST which seems like a MXT variant to me but don't quote me there. The 6X10 is a real nice light coil as well. I have one due today for my Pro and the 12X10 SEF this week hopefully so I can try them side by side. Wish I had the D2 so I could compare all three at once. Oh! A perfect world. I sold by last 6X10 when I sold the MXT. Been kicking my self as I knew I would be getting a Pro when I could and would be wanting that 6X10.

Pretty pictures but in no way reflecting reality. Test your coil response patterns yourself or pick up a copy of The MXT Edge by Jeff Foster.

The marketing whiz kids came up with this knife blade stuff and it is getting passed around the internet as gospel. Any simple testing proves it is not so. The pattern on a concentric is like a soccer ball cut in half, the pattern on a DD is like a football cut in half lengthwise.

That said my vote for the MXT is 6" x 10" DD or 10" round DD.

I was checking out The MXT Edge and noticed the field is much wider than the pictures show no knife blade there. I would think it would be hard to beat the coil it was designed around but that was a long while ago. Steve have you tried the SEF coils and if so what do you think?

I have used the MXT since prototype days and have been collecting tidbits about it at http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/whites-electronics-mxt-metal-detector.htm

One tidbit is this from Dave Johnson, lead design engineer:

"Back in the late 1990's and very early 20th century, the MXT was developed around the 10x6 elliptical DD. When you're used to that searchcoil, stick a 950 on and the 950 feels downright clumsy with its muddy response and bad masking characteristics. Downright insufferable. The 950 searchcoil geometry was designed for completely different platforms."

As far as the SEF goes not used them myself though I have a good friend that holds them in high regard.

My testing has shown the 8x6 SEF to be slightly superior to the 6x10 DD. With a silver dime at the limit of detection in highly mineralized soil, the SEF hits a little harder and IDs better.

The DD coils do seem to be better, generally, in my Oregon soil. However, the concentrics have to come out when there is powerline interference.

Steve is right also about detection diagrams posted here. They do not reflect reality. Jeff Foster's field measurments look correct. All one has to do is test the coil for themselves on a real target to determine the detection pattern.

George

One thing about the DD is how well you can hear a target moving in the coils field as you wiggle the coil even slightly (1 or 2 " side to side) you can easily see the shape of the field for yourself.

One thing is for sure, with a 12" concentric coil it cannot look at one target at a time if there is a second target even 5 inches to the side. What kind of separation is that!? With two targets in the signal area it cannot ID correctly and may very well mask completely. When I switched to D2, I am able to find good targets within an INCH of a large piece of iron or foil. I can view each target one at a time and know that there is trash plus a good sounding target next to it. Any concentric coil is all but BLIND to these targets. The diagrams shown above are not actual photographs of an invisible signal, they even have squared edges! :rolleyes:

I just got the 6X10 I bought and my Pro loves it. I have always like the 6X10 but now I have a whole new appreciation for it. When I first got to the park I put the 6X10 on grabbed the tool belt put the headphones on and turned the Pro on. The coil was about 2 feet off the ground. I checked voltage and settings. C/J tracking set to ground, the rest at the presets. I set threshold just a little lower than usual but still audible. I lowered the coil to the ground. No change in tone. So I lifted it again no change. Nothing. I though crap a bad coil. I checked the DX-1 it was set to coil. So I grabbed a coin and threw in on the ground and swung the coil over it and got a perfect nickel response. Maybe just luck and it started in perfect balance. I don't know maybe the Pro just loved the coil. I was impressed. Find a target consistent response wiggle back until it disappeared then slide up until I heard the target and it was exactly in front of the tip of the coil. After about a half dozen targets I was sticking the probe right on top of the target no pinpointer needed. I think I am back in love.

I live where there is highly minerilized ground but every once in a while i hit a wide open place where i can put on the 300 mm and it goes deep(sand in river beds mostly) just saying dont get rid of it if you have a use for it every now and then. BTW it is a heavy coil and hurts my arm after not to long so i keep switching arms but will find 22's at 12 " deep .

steve herschbach said:
Pretty pictures but in no way reflecting reality. Test your coil response patterns yourself or pick up a copy of The MXT Edge by Jeff Foster.

The marketing whiz kids came up with this knife blade stuff and it is getting passed around the internet as gospel. Any simple testing proves it is not so. The pattern on a concentric is like a soccer ball cut in half, the pattern on a DD is like a football cut in half lengthwise.

That said my vote for the MXT is 6" x 10" DD or 10" round DD.

This can be tested out for yourself by doing an air test and any coin. Below is the results on a Vaquero with 5.75" Concentric and Wide Scan (DD) coils. The second pattern is for a White's IDX Pro with 5.3 (6 1/2") coil. In the air test it's pretty easy but it's a little time consuming but finding what the pattern looks like for a coin in ground is much, much harder. The pattern is where a dime is first detected.