Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's D2 coil review (used on MXT)

NeverHuntedOut

First I want to start off by saying that I'm in no way a "professional" metal detectorist. I have used the MXT for several years and feel that I know the unit very well. I have used various coils with it and have done my best to learn each of their quirks. This review is part objective and part subjective and I'll do my best to tell you which is which. Now to the review...

This coil is light! When I first started I thought I was going to swing it off the end of the rod. It looks like it would be heavier than it is. I dug several clad pennies and dimes. None more than 5" down. The first thing I noticed is that the pinpointing is right on. I can seriously say this is the best pinpointing coil I have ever used from White's. In fact, it pinpoints better than my 8" Excelerator coil. The only time it didn't pinpoint correctly was on a completely verticle clad dime at 5". In my experience, verticle coins tend to throw pinpointing off. It was close, but in the side of the hole. Normally you have to X DD coils when pinpointing. Not this one. The center of the coil is the spot on center when pinpointing. I must say it was quite a joy to pinpoint with.

The first site I went to was a never detected house demolition. The coil did well in the moderate trash, but its size was working against it in the heavy trash. I was able to pull two silver dimes at 4" and a bus token in the moderate trash. I was unable to find any coins below 3" in the heavy trash areas. It did OK, but I would normally have switched to a smaller coil in the heavy trash.

The second site I went to was where an old school used to be. I had hunted the site heavily earlier this year using several large and small coils. I had found several old coins and jewelry. The purpose of going there was to see if I had missed anything whether it be deep or not. I started out along the fence line. After a little while I got a nice penny hit. At first I thought it was just because I got to close to the chain link fence, but that wasn't it. In fact, what I noticed was that I could get within 4" of the fence before the detector even sounded off on the fence. This was with my gain maxed out on the MXT! I would never have been able to get that close with my other coils. The penny pinpointed at 4" down. I dug a 1940D wheat. Nice! Apparently I did miss something. It's my opinion that I didn't find the wheat before because I was never able to get that close to the fence before. I decided to move out into the wide open grassy area. After awhile I got another penny hit at about 5". It was a 1909 wheat! My second one. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any coins deeper than 5" at this site. I never had before either.

So what do I think of the coil? I think it's a very nice coil! Very light, pinpoints great and gets closer to metal objects like fences than my other coils. So what do I not like? The open design gets caught on tall grass and sticks. Not as bad as the spider type coils, but still annoying. Hopefully White's will come out with a solid coil cover for it. As with other coils, deep iron still fooled my detector from time to time. Other that that, there's not a whole lot bad I can say about it.

I was really hoping to find some deep coins with it, but the sites I was at just didn't seem to have any. Does it go deep? Yes. I dug several objects that were coin sized at 7" to 8" deep. Would I recommend this coil as a replacement for larger coils? Not necessarily. It would depend on the type of hunting you're doing. It definitely found deep iron. If you're in need of a DD coil or want to replace a bad Eclipse 950, I would definitely look into getting this coil.

I don't think I will getting the D2 coil anytime soon, but I do appreciate the time you took to write your review. Good job. HH Dennis in Idaho

OK Okie ,

It's light and pin points good. I expected that.

The coil did well in the moderate trash, but its size was working against it in the heavy trash. So how do you think it compares to the 6x10 for separation?

Would I recommend this coil as a replacement for larger coils? Not necessarily. So how does it compare to your 12" concentric and 1400? Rob

Believe it or not, I've never owned the 6x10. I mostly compared it to the 8" Excelerator DD coil I have and from talking with friends who own both, the 8" seems a better coil than the 6x10. Compared to the 8" I would say it was on par. Not bad for being a slightly larger coil.

I sold my Super 12. The Super 12 was a good coil, but being a concentric spider coil, it really didn't fit my needs. The Super 12 pinpointed well and went deep, but to be honest, the D2 seems to go as deep on iron. I won't know about coins until I can get it over some deeper ones. Same for the 1400. Deepest coin I dug with the 8x14 was a dime at 7". However, I will say that the 1400 gave a great signal on that dime.

This weekend I plan on getting out again and hitting some different sites to find some deeper coins. Consider this review imcomplete until then.

I've got the 8" Excelerator and it has been a very good coil for me . I have stated before that it is at least as deep as my 9.5 and maybe a little deeper. It easily out does the 6x10. Remember, this is in my ground in Illinois. For me, the 10" Excelerator no doubt out does the 8" for depth. I really proved it to myself when I found coins in my daughters yard that I had hunted with the 8", 9.5 and 6x10. I know the 10D2 and my 10" are different coils but I was told the two operated about the same from two of the experts that used both coils.

Maybe you haven't gone over any deep coins and then maybe our ground is that much different. I'll be able to test my 10" in Texas next month. HH Rob

No doubt the 8" is as deep as the stock 950 coil. I've said that as well. The two sites I was at just don't seem to have deep coins. The oldest coin I dug at the school site was a 1909 wheat at 5". That's about as deep as any of them have been. The clad there was much shallower. I'm just going to have to try some other spots that I know the coins sink a little deeper.

I took a chance and bought me a D2 today and should have it by next thursday. I think this will be a nice happy medium between my stock 950 coil and my 12.5" excellerator

I've read on several other forums where it goes a bit deeper than the 6X10, but not enough to justify getting one if you already have a 6X10.
BB

I don't know Bill, who are you talking about ? I've read several of the articles and I think if its the guy I think it is he as very mild soil. I don't have the 10D2 I've got the 10" excelerator but I see an 1" to 1 1/2" over the 6x10 here in Illinois. Monte seemed to really give the D2 great reviews in several forums. Jeff Foster also gave it a thumbs up. I don't have it so I won't say... Rob

I have two of the D[sup]2[/sup]'s and I think I started this parade........:rofl:......... I don't have a 6x10 anymore because I sold them when I tried the EX 10". I sold them because the EX 10 was deeper by at least a full inch or better and the D[sup]2[/sup] is every bit as good on depth and better everywhere else. At least on highly mineralized ground.

Well, not personally having one to try, I'm not going to argue the point. As mentioned, the results depend on the soil also. I've had good luck with the 6X10 here in Idaho so I don't see myself adding another coil in the near future although have given some thought to the 8" Excelerator DD. It does seem like a large share of us are using anything other than the 9.5" stock coil tho.
HH
BB

I've got the 8" also but prefer the 10". Rob