Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's D2 coil

NeverHuntedOut

Here's a pic of the new D2 coil compared to the 8" Excelerator, Eclipse 950 and DD 1400. I don't see why anyone would want to use the 950 if the D2 is deeper and just as light with a bigger sweep area.

coils.jpg

Okie,

Does the 10" have a solid coil cover option? I think it might. Nancy had trouble with the open coil 10' excelerator dragging in the high grass. Do me a favor and measure the coil and post how wide it is. Good luck with the coil. Rob

I look for the D2 to replace the 950 over time as a stock coil just as I think the double O, SEF type coils will replace the DD coils. Keep in mind though that the DD, OO and concentric coils have their places and uses. In mild to medium ground, the 950 will go deeper that the D2. The 950 will also give better target ID and tone with the wider pattern of the concentric in all types of ground.

Larry, wouldn't you think that if they did replace the 950 with the 10 D2 that they will tune the machine for as good a target ID or even better. Just a thought.

I should have explained that if you keep the target in the knife edge pattern of the DD, OO, you will still ID OK, but the larger area of the conical coil will give you a better "initial hit" target ID, audible and visual, due to the longer exposure time to the target. It gives the detector more time to analyze the information received. Where you might get a good blip with the DD and go back to better hear the target, you will get a better "round" sound with the conical. For most "tone" hunters, the conical coil is preferred. Higher end detectors, like the DFX can be adjusted somewhat to compensate for the shorter "target window" by adjusting the recovery speed and swing speed adjustments without having to alter the actual swing speed of your hunting style.

With the newer and higher speed microprocessors available today, that is going to become less of a concern. That is why I think the new style OO coils will replace the DD used now. We are seeing it now in several Minelab machine and I look for White's to follow suit.

My biggest problem with the 950 is its inability to separate even in mild trash. Yes, there are some contortionist's moves you can make to help, but why when you can easily use a DD coil. Truth is, most coins aren't deeper than 7" and those that are will still be reachable with a 10" DD to at least 9" or even 10". The ground here is moderate to bad and with the 8" Excelerator I'm able to dig coins in the 7" to 8" range with a fairly "diggable" signal. I think the 10" will be about perfect if the performance is there. You're right, the 950 might give a better TID, but IMHO that's only in perfect conditions (i.e. no trash and few targets). With my MXT the DD coils will give me a good enough "blip" the first pass that I will investigate with a second slower swing to determine what the target really is. Yes, it might slow you down, but I'm not in a race. lol.

I agree with you 100% Okie. I have been using the Excelerator 10" since it came out well over a year ago, a great coil.

Tests that I have seen show that the 10"d2 coil will target deeper in mineralized or partially mineralized soil and the 9.50 standard coil will hit deeper in standard soil conditions.