Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's IDX pro better than ETrac in the nails

Hombre

A couple of my buddys came over to play with thier new ETracs in my coin garden they both coild not pick up my iron buffalo nickle that has nails arround it. The little cheapy from white's coud pick out the bufalo though, and from any sweep angle. and with some coil lift above target. then we moved to the deep larger silver halfs and silver dollars, the guy with the stock coin program could not hear the big silver. I' m not trying to bash the E in any way but seems that discing out big silver is a problem in the coins program. My IDX Pro would nail it with 3 inch raising of the coil on the big siver target. So they maybe should do some twinking with stock setting some or this or this ol guy with an obsolete detector tromps them into the ground !

Randy

Perhaps you should try the same test with silver in the iron.After all nickels are kinda on the bottom end of the list of desirable targets for most.And it is very common knowledge that the upper left portion of screen must be opened up for some silver halves and all silver dollars in the preset coins.However I am sure a lot of folks have not done this yet.If you feel your machine is superior to the E-Trac by all means keep on using it:thumbup: After all many of us Minelab "nuts" prefer to hunt behind the older Whites models and the newer ones for that matter;)I hope your buddies don't learn their E-Tracs to fast so some older coins will be left for you:devil:

Let's see if your IDX can find a silver dime buried 8" in mineralized soil next to a crusty bottle cap. Wait a minute...crusty bottlecaps register as a 50 cent - 1 Dollar VDI on the IDX, so you may just dig by accident.....:lmfao:

The E's default coin discrimination pattern limitation with respect to large silver coins has been discussed here many times. Yes, it is a known issue, but it can very easily be corrected by removing a few blackened pixels from the upper-right corner of the default coin pattern. Then you'll be able to find silver dollars a foot in the ground.

I have dug many coins with iron/trash targets in the same hole....if you're looking for coins in iron infested areas, you need to open up your iron masking more.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Guess we're talkin about "nickels" & "silver" but here's my "2 ZINCS" worth!-----When the Etrac first came out, (thru my tests) I immediately seen the need to edit out that upper right horizontal "bar" on the Etrac pre-set coin pattern as it can DEFINITELY affect large silver readings (in some cases).----I posted on it as to that effect & was just as immediately ridiculed by a certain individual as posting "hogwash".----Well, we all know that edit is needed/ true now, don't we?----As far as I'm concerned, that whole pre-set coin program needs to be modified--or better yet, learn the machine & build your own program & settings (to get those DEEP/DIFFICULT silver/copper hits in iron).---Another thing is--that ferrous line needs to be dropped down (opened up) to the 27 level as less than that is going to effect (some) of your deep readings (& in iron).----Does your friends know (or are aware of) this Randy (Hombre)?----Not trying to fuss with you, you are my friend & I'm just trying to make a meaningful post here. You are right in that the IDX Pro (with Mr. Bill mods) is a VERY GOOD machine in iron (especially with the 5.3 Bullseye coil on board).------BUT, I can also tell you, I have in-field tested these 2 machines on an actual hunt in an iron infested site & with flagged targets & the IDX Pro WOULD NOT read on the targets (old coins) that the Etrac hits in the iron.---It's just that the Etrac has to be set up right (that goes for the IDX also).----And yes, I have dug PLENTY of silver (& copper) coins in holes containing multi-nails---including a Morgan dollar at an honest 12"!---Can the IDX do that??----Dunno about your nickels--I don't hunt 'em.---In fact I never have seen the Explorers/Etrac as great mid-range hunters (some may argue this)----BUT silver/copper--(even in iron)---"look out Nellie"--they're MONSTERS!!-----Truth is, for silver hunting & at this point in time, there's just nothing in the world like 'em----BAR NONE!!-----------Del

So is this a declaration that the IDX is the perfect detector?

Gotta be a joke!

This is like being told my buddies brought over their PRO dragsters and I beat them with my stock pinto. I used the IDX PRO and while it's a great detector, for the money, it isn't even close to the E-Trac in depth ability. If the "new E-Trac owners" had no idea what they were doing I could somewhat believe it, but I still believe even a newbie would get better depth.