Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's QXT....Why so unpopular?

What does everyone think of the Quantums? Why do you believe they were so unpopular? How do you feel that they would stack up against the XLT or the XL Pro?

I've never owned one but from all appearances it seems as though it just became redundant. I always thought that the QXT replaced the Silver Eagle which in my opinion was nothing more than a digitized 600 DiPro. The QXT got covered up by the MXT. I think that it just simply got over shadowed and couldn't find its place. Looks like a great machine though.

:cool: I have wondered about this also. I think it has something to do with the "Q" in the name. That is kind of a turnoff for me. Also the Quantums won't do anything differently than a machine with knobs. It's just that one is digital and the other is manual. I think Whites probably introduced these as "affordable" digital units for those who can't afford a DFX or XLT or MXT. Just my thoughts. Good question though. Happy Hunting from RDF:cool::whites::detecting:

It was a totally different machine than anything Whites has ever offered and I don't think people really ever understood them. I like my QXT pro well enough, but I really like my M6 better, and I think thats what happened to them Quantums. Other Whites were just easier to use and understand.

Greg

On your search engine type in qxt tips and click on JB's - Whites Quantum II & QXT Hints & Tips and then click on Thomas Hills hint and tips. Thomas wrote the most complete info I have seen for this machine. I have owned two of them since 1997, and did I buy one because I couldn't afford an XLT, well I own two CZ's that cost more than XLT's. Side by side comparisons with my QXT set up my way has outperformed XLT, MXT, DFX, and other great machines. I have never seen a deeper Single frequency machine.

As the past huntmaster of a large club, I once set up a Depth test garden at one of our club hunts. I cut 1" PVC pipe in sections in 1 inch increments from 3" all the to 12" , taped a quarter to the bottom of each, filled it with dirt, burried them in clean ground about 3 feet apart. Several machines went no deeper than 6 inchs, many not that deep, high end id machines quit around 8-9 inches, one CZ got 11, The only machine there tat could hit the 12 inch quarter in all directions was my QXT. True story, kidding.

One quirk about me is I am not to impressed by ID machines in general. They all can give misinformation, and any real accuracy really tapers off at depths beyoud about 4 inches. The Qxt is great TriTone ID machine, very tweakable, uses all the coils, and a great bargin in the used market.

This is Tom, the guy who wrote the QXT Tips on JB's page. I feel the reason why the QXT never gained popularity was because many people thought that the XLT being more expensive and more adjustable automaticly meant it was a better machine and would go deeper. Not to mention a dealer might make more on a more expensive machine than the QXT. The QXT offers many features not found on these machines, first being it's flowing sizing display. You can instantly tell the target size by watching this.

In my experience the QXT goes deeper than it and any other single frequency machine I've laid hands on using the same size coil. If, however, you are using a machine like say a 6000 pro xl with the hot shot 12" coil then it will beat the QXT in depth. This coil is said to be really good, adding 2 or 3" of more depth, but I never could get it to work on the QXT I had at the time. It should work with them and any other Whites with the same frequency but I've never heard of anybody using one on a QXT. I tried two and neither worked with the machine I had at the time. They got unstable after a few minutes, but the depth was impressive up until then.

When it comes to silver/copper coins, mostly what I am seeking, the low frequency of the QXT will go deeper and hit harder on these targets than say an MXT with the same size coil, but a larger coil might give the MXT the advantage. I am not a fan of higher frequency machines like the MXT. While they hit harder on gold, they don't hit as hard on the silver/copper and also have a harder time handling the ground minerals than a low frequency machine. The lack of any coils for the QXT in the 12 to 14" range for coin shooting is why I recently bought a Sovereign GT. This machine goes deep like the Explorer but can handle a large assortment of larger coils to max it's depth out on coin targets. For various reasons I didn't want to go back to an Explorer again.

The QXT has a faster recovery speed than anything I've used as well, much more so than the XLT and other machines (Explorer, DFX, etc) that are slowed down by the top heavy software. If you get good with it you can pick out high tones among a bunch of lows and sniper out the coins in nails and other trash with ease. For that reason it's also my favorite machine for hunting in trash. It's so fast that I saw no advantage to the 5.3" coil over the 9.5" for this. Now, that 3.5" one that used to be made might be a fanastic combo with the QXT and offer even better seperation than the 9.5".

The 8 zones on the QXT does have some advantage over machines with a higher resolution (such as the XLT or say an Explorer) in that the ID won't "float around" and cause you to question a target's worth like they can. A very deep coin on the QXT will for the most part read "COIN" by giving it a very fast short sweep over the target. On other machines that feature higher resolution the coin might drift up and down in it's VDI response, causing you to think it's trash.

On the other hand, it's not as easy to split hairs on targets with the QXT. You have to learn the audio and how the ID responds in order to split hairs on targets with it. For instance, even though everything from copper pennies to silver dollars is lumped into the COIN zone, you can tell by the audio, the ID's response, and the width of the target what it's going to be 99% of the time.

The QXT also offers the ability to "run all out" without worries, in that it offers just enough control to set it up to go as deep as possible at a location without the tweaking and wondering that a machine like the XLT, DFX, or Explorer does. Mess up one seemingly trivial setting on these machines and it can cost you a good bit of performance at a site. I like the peace of mind from knowing that I've got it maxed out with just a few simple adjustments.

This may be wrong but the rumor always was that some Fisher guys went over to Whites years ago and had a hand in the QXT. At the time the CZ line was the standard for depth on the market. At least this jives with how I always thought about the QXT...The Depth of a Fisher with the discrimination, audio harmonics, and good/light construction of a Whites. Best of both worlds.

I still have a QXT Pro and prefer it in trash while coin shooting or for scouting wooded locations. The GT is heavy, but at least I can hip mount it...unlike an Explorer. It's also a slow swing detector so I can't scout out a new location nearly as fast as I can with the QXT. The GT's iron mask feature does offer some interesting advantages when hunting in iron to find coins, but it also has a very slow recovery speed and can't compete with the QXT on shallow coins mixed in with non-iron trash. If the coin was laying in iron I'd probably prefer the GT to find it, though, but only if the iron was right on top of the coin. Now, when it comes to depth the GT with it's 10" stock coil will pop coins at some amazing depth, a bit more than the QXT on copper/nickle coins. I'm still waiting for it to find my first silver at a depth deeper than the QXT, though. Still, I can always go to a 12" or larger coil to get even deeper. That option doesn't exist for the QXT. I plan to use the QXT as my scouting machine and first hunt machine. After I've worked it over the the QXT I'll see if the GT can find anything deeper or mixed in with iron that the QXT missed.

Some makes and models fall into that Love/Hate category, and such is the case with the Quantum's.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD said:
What does everyone think of the Quantums?
I thought they balanced well, like most White's, and I thought the quality of workmanship was there, like most White's, but I found them to be "[u[]i]different[/u][/i]" from most White's and just not for me.

When I had my first chance to work with both the Quantum XT (later renamed QXT Pro) and the Quantum II prototype I was sort of excited because these were not your then-typical moderate-to-fast motion detectors like the XLT or the 5900/6000 series. They were in the same physical package as the XLT I was using, with a "wide-body" display, and they shared the same search coils as I used on my XLT and Classic III and Classic ID I had at the time. The IDX came out about the same time as the Quantum series and since the Classic ID and IDX had 8 TID segments and the Quantum XT I got had 8 TID segments, I was compelled to work with them and see which of the two I liked the most.

The IDX, and Classic III SL, Classic ID, and the later-renamed IDX Pro won out over the Quantum series. Why you might ask? I'll tell you. They did what [size=large]I[/size] needed them to do.

I didn't want or need a new top-end/top-dollar detector as I had that with the XLT. No, the XLT wasn't perfect, but I don't rely on a single detector to do it all and do it all well. The XLT was my 'cruising" unit and I had the Classic III SL w/4" coil minted for quick work of the nastiest of iron-trashed sites, and a Classic ID w/6

Monte, just like the good old days when you and I would bump heads on the QXT versus the Classic ID line. :biggrin: I'll start off soft by first pointing out what I agree on. What don't I like about the QXT? First, it's inability to use variable discrimination and a variable notch. Yes, you do have 8 zones, all of which can be independently turned on or off, and each of which that can be assigned a high or low tone. That's VERY powerful in certain respects (especialy the ability to turn a high/low tone on for each area). There are numerous other tools at hand such as the audio and VDI's response that will tell you what the target is most likely to be, but the ability to bump a notch or disc knob into just the right spot is something I always wanted, and it's something that I now have on the Sovereign GT. I could live without all of this if they would have just included a VDI # of the target. I mainly hunt with nothing edited out anyway so I don't mind not having a variable disc/notch, but I sure would love to see the VDI # for splitting hairs on targets in a more easy fashion.

I will disagree about the sweep speed. The QXT has the most forgiving sweep speed on any machine I ever used. It can go from ultra slow to ultra fast. I prefer a medium to fast sweep speed when hunting. The only place it needs a specific speed is on really deep targets. You need to do fast short sweeps to pull the proper ID out of it. master this and you'll see this machine getting deeper than most machines on the market.

There existed an older version of the QXT that's software had problems with ground balancing in certain locations. If zone 7 reads "COINS" then you have the newer version of software. Older QXT's and even the QII (same machine but with more limited software) can be sent in to Whites and they will upgrade them to the most current QXT software. The QXT Pro is the same machine as the QXT in all respects. However, I think they must have added components with less noise because I find this unit can be turned up to 18 on the sensitivity at most locations and still remain stable, where as the regular QXT could only be raised to 16 at most locations. I find that the slightly higher sensitivity setting on the QXT Pro gives it just a tad more depth.

Here's how I set up and use the QXT.

Load the coin program as this will set most things where you want them such as SAT speed.

Make sure ground tracking is OFF (0). I don't trust it as it's not as good as the tracking on the 6000 pro xl. Besides, ground tracking on any machine can cost you some depth. Rebalance every ten minutes or so yourself for best depth.

Turn off noise reduction. This will give this machine even more depth. It's only useful feature is to smooth out the little signals you hear a bit if turned ON, but I still find the QXT to be a very smooth detector with it OFF.

Turn ON VCO. This greatly helps in pinpointing. When pinpointing put the coil over the target slowly until you get the loudest response. Now quickly release and then re-trigger the pinpoint switch and hold it. This will detune the detector. Now slowly move the coil around until once again you get the loudest response. Once again release and re-trigger the pinpoint switch and hold it. Now move the coil around slowly again until you get the loudest response. This should put you right over the target. It's the tightest pinpoint I've used on any machine for the most part.

Set volume to what is comfortable for you.

Set sensitivity at the highest level possible without falsing. At most locations this is 16 on the QXT and 18 on the QXT Pro. Always try to raise it a little more. If you get falsing then lower it down a digit and re-try. Always ground balance after you set the sensitivity. Then try raising the sensitivity a little more and see if it's still stable. Sometimes proper ground balancing first will allow you get get a little higher sensitivity without falsing. Just remember to always re-balance the machine after any changes in sensitivity.

Set pinpoint sensitivity at the same number or about two digits lower than what you settled on for search sensitivity. In other words, 16 if search sensitivity is at 18. However, I find I like 16 even if search sensitivity is at 16. If you had to hunt at say 10 in some really mineralized ground (rare) then set pinpoint at 8 or 10.

Don't edit out any zones. Accept them all. Then assign high tones to what targets you are looking for. Train your ear to listen for those and to ignore the lows. This will give you the most depth and also avoid masking. Sweep over a high tone that is mixed in with a low from different directions short and fast. Try to pull a good signal out of it. A deep coin might only first respond as a low signal such as iron as you nick it with the coil. Sweep in very short and fast sweeps over it and try to pull a coin signal out of it. This will produce maximum depth for the ID and audio. If you slow down the audio may go low or the ID drop.

With a medium to fast sweep speed a coin should produce two sizing bars. I'll have more to add later.

No depth and the tone id were only good to maybe 4" on a good day when all the planets lined up properly. After that no id at all. Seems like a good concept but just didn't work. Called Whites and discussed it and they told me it was what it was. I put some time into it trying to get it to perform at least halfway decently. Couldn't do it. Sold it.

A couple of years later, got another one, thinking I just got a lemon. Same thing. I think that the folks who liked them either had a blind love affair with Whites, or, had great dirt conditions that allow any machine to perform to its best potential. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of dirt.

My dissenting voice.

Mike

If you are only getting that kind of depth then you either don't know how to set it up or how to use it properly. In most ground conditions I can easily get around 8 to 8.5" on a silver dime with a perfect audio and visual ID. Even in highly mineralized ground 6" or deeper is real easy. There were early versions of the Quantum that had bad ground balancing software. They simply wouldn't balance right unless the ground was very low in mineralization. I owned one of those machines and let me tell you the difference between performance after I sent it in to have the software upgraded was amazing. I could now hunt areas that I simply couldn't due to all the falsing with the older version of the software.

On the other hand, properly ground balancing the machine is very important. I've seen guys who's idea of balancing is hardly more than just turning it on. What I do is turn the machine on and then instantly pull and release the trigger. Then I'll sweep around until I find a clean spot with no iron, hot rocks, or other objects. Once found I'll put the unit back into ground balance mode and raise and lower the coil with a slow to medium speed. Moving it too slow will trick you as the threshold resets and looks like it's balanced. It's also important to not let the coil completely touch the ground, but rather stop about 1/3rd of an inch before doing so, or at whatever height you normaly hunt with the coil at. It makes no sense to balance it completely flat on the ground unless you are hunting with the coil always touching the ground. Proper ground balance is the foundation to everything else. Screw that up and everything else suffers. I always re-check my balance every ten or twenty minutes in a clean area. Another thing I"ve seen people do is sweep around looking for a clean spot while not realizing they have the discrimination or notch going on a machine. How do you expect to properly balance it when your coil might be over a piece of iron or a pull tab?

I'll say it again, I've used no other machine that got more depth with the same size coil on copper/silver than the QXT. The Explorer would hit harder/deeper on nickle/gold/other metals due to it's higher frequencies, but I've never pulled a deep silver with the Explorer and stock 10" coil that was deeper than I have with the QXT. But, with larger coils I expect to get deeper, and that's why I'm expecting good things with the Sovereign GT and an aftermarket amp or a larger coil than the 10". Perhaps the GT will get some deeper silver with the stock 10" coil as I've read reports of depths other have achieved with it on silver. Despite 3 Explorers and re-working old sites where deeper silver should exist I only felt that it went deeper than the QXT on maybe one or two coins, and not by much. This might have simply been due to the Explorer being able to handle the ground minerals at this site than the QXT.

I've owned 6000 pro xls. Very nice machines but the lack of high tones made it a slug in high trash. You have to constantly watch the display if you aren't using any discrimination. I did find it's ground tracking to be about the best on the market when I used it, but I did not find it to have any better depth than a QXT Pro. In fact, in numerous head-to-heads in the field I've found that the QXT is a bit deeper on coins. Put a 12" Hot Shot coil on that 6000, which doesn't work on a QXT from my experience, and the 6000 would IMHO be one of the deepest silver/copper machines on the market due to it's low frequency like the QXT.

XLTs I never cared for due to the slugish response with the top heavy software. Also thought the ID floated and the depth wasn't as good as a QXT. Same rough reasons (sligish response/ID float) that I don't care for the Explorer, besides it being a total heavy pig to hunt with. It's audio, while very telling in certain respects such as the multitones, is lacking in others (very short with no "meat" to disect compared to the Whites).

The only machine I've been impressed with depthwise in the field head to head with the QXT has been the Etrac. I saw it get at least 2 to 3" more depth on two undug silver dimes. While I could hear the signal with the QXT, it was not near what I would generaly consider a good "iffy" signal. Remember too that the Etrac is using an 11" coil. If only Whites would come out with a 12 to 14" coil for their low frequency machines....I'd figure they'd give most of the machines on the market a run for their money on depth when it comes to silver/copper. At least the Hot Shot is an option for some of us.

seldom seen on the Classifieds because there are some of us who appreciate a good detector that works for us. Like the XLT or XL Pro or IDX Pro, the Quantum XT/QXT Pro's seem to have settled into the hands of those who like them as they don't show up on classifieds very often.

Critterhunter said:
Monte, just like the good old days when you and I would bump heads on the QXT versus the Classic ID line. :biggrin:
Maybe best to appreciate the fact that there is no "perfect" detector, and certainly not for more than one person. ;)

Critterhunter said:
I'll start off soft by first pointing out what I agree on.
Okay ... and there might be more than you thought.

Critterhunter said:
What don't I like about the QXT? First, it's inability to use variable discrimination and a variable notch. Yes, you do have 8 zones, all of which can be independently turned on or off, and each of which that can be assigned a high or low tone. ... the ability to bump a notch or disc knob into just the right spot is something I always wanted
Yes, I forgot about that. The accept/reject audio for each segment as well as tone assignment. If it had variable discrimination .. OR .. a broader set of notch segments to allow the user to "fine tune" them, that would have been better.

Critterhunter said:
I mainly hunt with nothing edited out anyway so I don't mind not having a variable disc/notch, but I sure would love to see the VDI # for splitting hairs on targets in a more easy fashion.
Yes, we agree there as well, and the lack of decent VDI readings (numeric) was possible one of the biggest things I didn't like.

Critterhunter said:
I will disagree about the sweep speed. The QXT has the most forgiving sweep speed on any machine I ever used. It can go from ultra slow to ultra fast. I prefer a medium to fast sweep speed when hunting. The only place it needs a specific speed is on really deep targets. You need to do fast short sweeps to pull the proper ID out of it. master this and you'll see this machine getting deeper than most machines on the market.
I wonder if it is related to ground mineral conditions where you are compared to where I am? I found the Quantum's (mind you I mainly worked with early releases) to NOT be very forgiving.Fine in low mineral, but most of the sites I hunted if I swept too slowly or too quickly I didn't get the kind of performance I wanted.

Like you, I favor a moderate-to-fast sweep when hunting, until I get into dense trash, especially small iron junk. Then it is slow-sweep time.

I've had a Love/Hate relationship with the MXT which I know isn't your favorite. I liked it but was annoyed by it, mainly the raspy, sputtery audio. However, I like to run detectors 'Hot' and I was comparing it with the smooth operation or silent working XL Pro, XLT and Classic series. I went thru three MXT's before I finally decided it was a good tool FOR ME so I picked up a 4th to keep in my working battery. The XLT and MXT, right now, are my "go to" detectors to cover my needs.

Like you, the Minelab Sovereign's do have some abilities. If I liked hip-mounting I'd probably pick up another one.

The main thing is that over decade or so that we've exchanged opinions about the QXT pro and former Quantums, a lot of people have come into the hobby and then left it ... we're still hanging in there and that's good.

It's always good to be able to agree to disagree.

Happy Hunting,

Monte

If you are only getting that kind of depth then you either don't know how to set it up or how to use it properly.

Critterhunter, you can call me uneducated in metal detector usage because you don't know me. But I'm here to tell you that it doesn't hunt in my ground. The M6 will easily out hunt it. The DFX will easily out hunt it. The concept was good but in actual practice it was a flop. Twice. Thats why its a goner. Its such a goner that my local Whites dealer has been trying to get rid of his (discounted price) for the last three years without success. His is the third unit I've had my hands on, but since I never put that one to the ground I'll not count it.

There are only two machines out of the 36-40 units that I've personlly owned and used (yes that number includes some duplicate models) that I truly can say that absolutely stunk. One was a BH Sharpshooter II. The other was the QXT. At least when I called BH about the SSII, they told me they had an upgrade for it that would remedy it's suckiness. Whites knew what it was, thats why they shrugged their shoulders and said it was what it was.

But, like all things there are exceptions to the rule. Perhaps you and your QXT is the exception. I know Jeff/Middlesex liked his too. But they just didn't do it here in Albuquerque, NM.

HH
Mike

Critterhunter is Thomas Hill the fellow that wrote an excellent article on the QXT years ago and certainly an experienced hunter for this unit...certainly good info...

But I was testing a couple of Fisher "F" series detectors. I'm sure my inexperience and ground conditions didn't have anything to do with it though. Ya think?

Mike Hillis said:
Critterhunter, you can call me uneducated in metal detector usage because you don't know me.

I don't believe I said that. What I did say was that you *specifically* either don't know how to use a QXT or aren't setting it up properly. This has nothing to do with your expertise with metal detectors in general. I can get the kind of performance you are stating out of a $30 Walmart detector. If you couldn't get the machine to perform at anything deeper than 4" then there are only a few options...You aren't setting it up properly or you aren't using it right. A possible third would be a defective machine or the older/bad software. The QXT is a little trickier to set up in some highly mineralized ground than other machines but it will perform well provided you know what you are doing.

Here's how to tell which coin is under the coil on a QXT:

Zinc Penny....Stays in the Zinc zone 75% of the time but may bump into the coin zone.
Copper Penny....Will tend to bounce evenly between the two zones. Note that some indians may occasionaly dip into the roundtab range, yet still give a smooth audio response as if they were a wheat.
Clad Dime...Will tend to stay mostly in the coin zone but drop into the penny zone every 4th or 5th sweep.
Clad Quarter...Stays in the coin zone. Also has a more fuzzy sound to it than the sharper sound of a clad dime.
Silver Dime... Stays in the coin zone and has a slightly sharper/higher pitch than a clad dime.
Silver Quarter...Stays in the coin zone and has a higher pitch than a clad quarter, but not quite as sharp as silver dime.

A bottlecap or screwcap is very easy to tell on this machine. While it may read in the zinc/coin zone it's audio will sound skippy or harsh. You'll get to the point that the audio/vdi response becomes second nature. I can tell what the coin is and if it's silver or not I'd say 90% of the time. What you have to watch for (on any machine for that matter) is areas where dry or highly mineralized ground conditions may cause the coin to drop slightly in response. I've seen silver dimes read as zinc pennies at some specific areas. It's always a good idea to dig a few coins first to know exactly where they are showing up on the scale.

Use a medium to fast short sweep over the target to investigate it. On real deep targets use a very fast short sweep to get the proper audio and VDI. This will get you that extra depth that other machines can't touch. What I normaly do is hunt with a medium sweep speed. If I hear a low or deep/soft target I'll increase my sweep speed to fast and short over it. On average this seems to give a good 2" more depth to the target. You'll still hear it when hunting with a slow to medium sweep speed, but to pull the proper tone/ID out of it you need to do this.