Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's QXT....Why so unpopular?

I thought I'd be a little more clear as to exactly what I don't like about the QXT. I do wish there were more than 8 zones, or at least a way fine tune each one with perhaps a VDI # setting for the start and end of each. Lacking that, at least a way to assign high tones to specific number ranges would be nice. Again, lacking all that I would be happy with a simple VDI # displayed on the screen would be very helpful. I can live without this feature when coin hunting but it would make splitting hairs on rings and other lower conductivity targets like pulltabs much easier. The Sovereign GT is much the same in that most coins get lumped into the 180 VDI number, but as with the QXT there are ways to tell the differences in coins from both the audio and VDI, though I'm still learning that on the GT. Where the GT really shines is in the much higher resolution of targets below the 180 VDI #. It's large number range makes it possible to avoid a lot of junk targets, such as pulltabs falling within a specific number range (about 84% of them fall between 153-165), and still be able to (in theory) find a larger percentage of rings that do not. That's based on some statistical graphs a friend and I compiled with random test samples of round/square tabs and over 100 rings of all types.

There is an advantage to the QXT grouping targets in a larger area (like coins) over many other machines with higher resolution, being able to tell by VDI what type of coin it is. The main plus is that a really deep coin will still respond with a COIN response on the VDI. VDI (& in many cases audio) drift on machines with higher resolution can often cause you to question the target's worth. The audio is the telling factor as to if it really is a coin rather than a trash object. Whites are generaly known for the excellent/long audio response and the little telling traits of the audio that help to grade targets. I never did care for the short "beep and dig" type of response many machines give. While the Explorer gives excellent target information via it's multitones, the response is short and I find that harder to investigate. The GT has multitones like the Explorer but the audio response if more drawn out over the target, offering me more data like most Whites to pick through.

What I'd really like to do is reprogram the QXT's software to display a VDI #. I would guess this would be possible as I would think the software probably arrives at a target value and then decides which number range it falls into to then display that zone.

A variable tone assignment via the VDI would also be helpful. Being able to assign a high, low, or all metal (mixed mode) response to each of the 8 zones is a very powerful tool, but it would be nice to fine tune it in this fashion. After owning or using most of the machines on the market over the years tone ID is something I simply can not live without. It allows me to hunt with no discrimination and listen for any highs mixed in with the lows. That's the one feature I thought would have made the 6000 pro xl a perfect 10. I found myself having to watch the meter constantly while hunting in any kind of trash in order to see exactly what it was sounding off to. There's also a lag in the analog meter, much like the lag in detectors that are loaded with software, that makes response times slugish between targets.

Mainly for me I do prefer a computerized detector with an LCD display, but I don't care for machines that are so loaded with software that the audio and VDI seems almost detached from the coil's response. I like to hear and "feel" what the coil is passing over with as little intrusion from the electronics as possible. The QXT offers just enough software to tweak it out, yet still gives me the feel of the wheels touching the road, so to speak. I thought the Tesoro line would be much to my liking for that reason, but again I couldn't live without a tone ID or VDI response when I owned and used a Bandido II Umax for a while. The depth was good but, lacking tone ID, I found that I had to use discrimination and that cost me a good bit of depth.

If the QXT had VDI numbers, a variable notching system (or at least a variable tone assignment), and larger coils available in the 11 to 14" range it would be all I could ask for in a coin shooter. Since it doesn't have those features I'm forced to continue to search for the "perfect" machine for me. I'm hoping the GT will fill all those gaps in for me. It has variable tones based on conductivity, a variable notch and discrimination, a VDI meter to split hairs (yet seems much more functional in practice than the Explorer's dual number system), and of course a wide assortment of coils to fit my paticular needs. The only drawback I can thus far see with this machine is it's construction and weight. Far less user friendly than a Whites, but at least I can hip mount a GT...Unlike an Explorer.

Now for the most important test of all. Place a rusty nail about a foot from that silver dime and swing the GT over and do the same with the QXT. You may never pick the GT up again when in an area with nails, and steel bottle caps about.

The QXT has the fastest recovery time of any machine I've owned, that's for sure. I can sniper a silver dime touching a nail with a perfect coin VDI and audio. It's that quick, even with the 9.5" coil. So much so in fact that when I tried the 5.3" coil I didn't find it did anything. You can't get any quicker response time when two targets are touching each other. The only useful feature of the 5.3" is the ability to hear targets in a little more detail. It's easier to hear the two holes (Yes, I said the two holes) in a pulltab as you sweep over it with the 5.3". So, if I was primarily hunting for shallow gold rings or around metal objects I'd prefer the 5.3", but it won't seperate targets any better than the 9.5" on the QXT IMHO.

The GT has a very slow recovery speed, but it offers something the QXT or most other machines don't thanks to it's IRON MASK ON feature. In my air tests with IRON MASK ON (which I always use with it) I can lay a nail directly over a silver dime and the machine will still give a perfect COIN ID and audio tone. That's very impressive. It doesn't seem to average the target on the VDI like most machines do, in that they will place the target ID somewhere halfway between iron and silver and produce bad audio as well, or even completely discriminate out the target if you have any kind of iron discrimination going on. I also found that I could notch out non-ferous targets like say a pulltab and then place that tab over the dime and still hear it, though not with a perfect coin ID...a little lower in numbers but still sounding real good.

They both have their use. If I was hunting a coin with iron around it (but not with it in the hole) I'd prefer the QXT. I'd also prefer the QXT in non-iron trash when trying to find a coin nearby just due to it's quick recovery. However, if it was a coin with iron or non-ferous trash on top of it or nearby I'd prefer the GT as it's IRON MASK feature really does give a perfect audio/VDI response to the coin, and there is very little if no averaging of the coin with a non-iron object over it. With the Explorers I'ved owned the Iron Mask feature seemed more of a name than an actual function to me. I didn't see this kind of ability when conducting tests with it. I was simply amazed at the GT giving a perfect ID/tone to a silver dime with the nail right on top of it.

I recently purchased, and am awaiting arrival on, one of Critterhunter's personal QXT pro's. I am pretty new to detecting so I have no preconceptions or opinions on it from past experience. I simply researched and decided it might work out well for me so I'm going to give it a serious try. I will get back to you down the line after I have used it long enough to form an opinion on actual field experiences. Not that all informed and experienced opinions are not totally valid but I just thought some of you may be interested to hear how it turns out for me. I am going to use Critterhunter's advice on tips/tricks as a baseline to start and go from there. Stay tuned .

A few other tips:

In that old field guide I say use ground tracking if you can. I never use it. When you load the coin program most features will be set the way you want, including tracking turned off. Tracking can smooth over a deep coin, causing it to disappear more with every sweep over the target. Keep it off.

Don't linger over the target! One thing that drives me crazy with cops I see on TV using a metal detector to find bullets is they point the thing or hold it over a target expecting a good reading that way. The coil must always be kept in constant motion. Stop or go too slow and target quality will suffer. The QXT will put up with a very slow to very fast sweep but I find a medium to fast sweep speed to be best while searching and then a fast short sweep over deep targets to clean up the audio/vdi response.

It was actually an impulse buy because the price was so low and I had money burning a hole in my pocket. But with all the discussion on this thread got me to thinking that maybe I missed something. So I'll go around with it for a 4th time. (Its not like I haven't gone around that many times and more with other models). My detecting needs have changed as well as I've got other units to cover those.

Wish me luck.

HH
Mike

Mike Hillis said:
It was actually an impulse buy because the price was so low and I had money burning a hole in my pocket. But with all the discussion on this thread got me to thinking that maybe I missed something. So I'll go around with it for a 4th time. (Its not like I haven't gone around that many times and more with other models). My detecting needs have changed as well as I've got other units to cover those.

Wish me luck.

HH
Mike
Mike, my lad----I'm wishin you every success in the world with that QXT!!-----I see that you picked one up---and at a very good price, I might ad!--------Also, in case any one is interested-----Mike is a VERY experienced dirt fisher & with various detectors.----Let us know how the QXT works out for you in your ground & what you think of it Mike. :thumbup:------------Del

Having used the QII (now converted to a QXT Pro) for over a year now, there are many things I like, and some things that downright annoy me about the machine...
First let me start by saying I agree that this machine was not marketed for what it was...A low cost mid-grade machine with excellent depth and target separation...
As stated earlier, I feel the dealers pushed the XLT and MXT as they cost more and had more features to show off...I also feel dealers just did not fully understand this machine...
It is NOT your tipical turn on and go machine...Getting a good PROPER ground balance is critical to this machines success. Critterhunter had it right...do not just follow the on screen prompting....If you GB over a target that is being DISCed out, your BG is NOT set correctly...You MUST pull that trigger and find a spot with no metal or mineralization...I often throw the trigger forward and go to AM mode to find this spot as well...I have had to pump the coil as many as 25 times to get a proper sounding GB.
As far as depth...The only detectors I have found to be deeper are those that can accept a 10"+ coil, or the multi-frequency machines (V3i, Minelabs, etc.)...I have hit clad dimes at 14" with this machine...
Sweep speed DOES depend on ground mineralization...It just takes some time to learn the proper speed that will make the signagraph respond correctly...
Also as stated earlier, a GOOD set of headphones is critical, as your ears and what you hear are more important than what the screen is telling you with this machine. After a while, I can tell what a target is by sound alone. I only use the screen to further confirm this.
Your right in that there are few QXT Pro machines left in working order, and they HAVE fallen into the hands of those who appreciate them. The QXT Pro and the 5.3 bullseye coil are killer for any type of hunting...
As far as what I do not like about the QXT Pro...No variable DISC, Only 8 segments, all coins lumped into one segment (except nickels), the fact that old pop off bottle caps ring and sound like quarters and drive me freekin nuts...
I normally hunt in mixed mode also...
I will not let go of mine until I can afford and find something better (still looking)...

HH,

Monte's reputation precedes him wherever he goes. Met some guys here in CA who used to hunt with Monte in the Pac. NW, and heard nothing but nice things about how he takes his time to help un-ravel detector mysteries, from his 40+ yrs. experience, to anyone who asks. We ought to pool together and buy Monte a medal or something, eh? :)

Monte is definitely a man I would love to meet...Very few left who are willing to put the time and effort into helping others the way he does...
Monte's oppinions are pretty much considered gospel on the forums, as he has many years of experience with different machines, repairs, modifications, etc.

I am all in for the Monte Medal...He definitely deserves one...:clapping: :thumbup:

HH,

New QXT user here. I like it so far, just need to learn the machine more. Anyone use this machine on the beach with any success that would care to share any custom settings or have any tips on using it on the beach.. also, any custom settings for coins, jewelry, ect

thanks,
Jeff

I'd give the Jewelry & Beach program a try.
And if pulling to many trash tweaking while searching.
But most gold falls into the foil/tab range so I'd be careful using a high level disc.
Happy Hunting

jeffmtnman said:
New QXT user here. I like it so far, just need to learn the machine more. Anyone use this machine on the beach with any success that would care to share any custom settings or have any tips on using it on the beach.. also, any custom settings for coins, jewelry, ect

thanks,
Jeff

Though this thread is older...It still can have value.

If you do not get the responses you want perhaps asking in a new thread would produce more response.