Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

whites should offer a class

rewmarshall

i think whites should offer a class like minelab does with there high end units wouldnt that be cool i would go, like mabey a three day thing they are the maker of the best most complicated detector you would think they would do somthing like that but i got to say whites has treated me good allready but it would shure be nice expecialy for guys like me who dont have anyone locally to learn some of this stuff i read and try it read and try it

Larry and I gave a seminar last year. I believe all that came had a good time and learned from the experience. I know that many more people who said they needed the help did not come to the seminar.

What training are you talking about that Minelab gives? I was never offered any training.

As he said he has no one locally. This I can understand. Not everyone is lucky to have a dealer. I don't have one easy to get to unless I want to go to the BIG city. People say they would like personal training but can't get enough people together to make it worth an instructor traveling to teach it or they can't travel far enough to get to us.

We are lucky to have Whites people monitoring the forums and giving us help and answering our questions. As far as I know there are no engineers monitoring the Minelab forum.

I don't think there is anyone offering 3 day free training.

Any chance of another seminar this winter?

Only so much can be done in a classroom. At the last seminar we gave we were able to also hunt one on one with any guys who wanted. You can't do that very well in the winter here in Illinois.

Unless you live close it really gets to be a hassle. After travel time, fuel, motel, seminar fee, it's more than guys can manage. That is why most guys use the forum.

the 2 dealer in my area don't use the v3i and i really only know one other user that even has one and she is also a novice at the v3i and the minelab training they give a 3 day course in Arizona for there high end unit like the 4500 5000 but i think its only once or twice a year don't know i read it on there site once long ago but anyway enough with that i did not know someone out there did training i would love to come to your course if you do another one it might be worth taking the time off and coming to IL were i live there are no detecting clubs but from time to time you meet up with a few folks that are detecting but o well allot of folks i meet are don't have a clue and i try to help them but the v3i it is a bit complicated and some hands on training would shure speed up the learning ya know
i go almost everyday so i read what i can here and go out and try it the next day i was getting pretty frustrated for a minute but in the last 2 days it starting to work really well not as god as i hoped but i know its going to take some time i think whites is the best company out there hands down i cant say enough good things about the people at whites and thanks to all that take the time out of there life's to right the posts that help guys like me learn this stuff

Minelab didn't offer training. Gerry a Minelab dealer offered the training if you bought a $5500 dollar Minelab. As he mentioned most dealers didn't. Nothing special with that.

It would be nice, but tough to organize. So many people across the whole country. You've got good people here and on the White's forum to help with your questions. Most of it needs to be learned yourself though due to different conditions across the land. Nothing beats time in the field and paying attention to detail for a positive learning curve. I think the video's some are making showing the detector reacting to setting changes are a big help to give others a view of how the V responds is priceless. Thank you all for your efforts in that area!!! Good job!

Schultzie,
you are right about organizing. For guys who are close to us in Illinois it is no problem. One on One training is easy to do. There are plenty of places for two people to hunt. Getting a group together is near impossible unless you want all your training from a chair.

Our seminar was conducted at a club hunt. That way we had a a building for the seminar and large site to hunt that could provide deep and old targets. By the way all that participated got some old ones. An important part of the seminar was the ability to get out and hunt with us and apply what they learned.

The guys also took part in two planned hunts, one of which was a silver hunt. This was only possible as part of the club activities.

here is the link so i dont look like a flake rob something like this would be cool thats all im saying http://www.minelab.com/events-1?article=34897 ive allready found silver with my v3i and an old suspender buckle that has a patient date of 1869 ill get her figured

People have asked for seminars on the rest of their line for more than 15 years to no avail . . . . the classes they offer are for their gold detectors which cost more than a couple of V3i's combined :stars: The problem is that the in-house expertise at Minelab is very much focused on that end of the market which is not where the bulk of their sales are (number wise although maybe not dollar wise) in the US outside of the gold regions.

There are some dealers and users that have put together training sessions with specific models or brands and they have been well received . . . . . Whites does offer a great deal in terms of DVD,s and well written manuals . . . . Garrett sets the standard however with their on-line video library on their detectors - if you want to see a very useful tool, stop by the Garrett website.

Andy Sabisch

Garrett is good but I think White's set the standard and others are playing catch up with them on the videos and on-line information. White's has all of the training videos, commercials, TV series, Treasure hunting America and even customers You Tube videos on their website.

I think a on line seminar would be a great idea, in fact if one was put together with White's and some of the more knowledgeable users, I think I would even pay if some thing like this was put together, fourms are a fine way for information but some thing I can see broken down in one setting would be great. Just a Idea

[attachment 222345 Untitled-1.jpg]If you ever owned a Minelab or frequented their forums you would see that to this day the guys are still trying to figure out how the features like the auto settings work. They still are debating auto sensitivity. Minelab doesn't explain the features. I know I use one. At least Whites keeps no operational secrets.

Could you explain how an on line seminar would be setup? I mean the mechanics of it. It is raining today and I have a lot of time. How much would you be willing to pay? Larry and I offered an in person seminar, but I don't see how an on line seminar would work.

I am ready for suggestions.

Rob

I think that if you look at the forum on the V3i, you see the same confusion so to speak on what certain settings do and how to use various combinations in the field exist here as well as on other brand forums. The Minelab's can be made into "turn-on-and-go" units fairly easily . . . . . it's when users of any brand try to get under the hood and feel they need to understand what a feature does electronically is where things get muddy.

Personally, if any detector I use finds what I am looking for, I really do not care what is going on inside . . . but many users see that as being part of their "becoming one" with their detector.

Whites may not keep any operational secrets but I seriously doubt that their programming behind the scene is publicly available much the way Minelab keeps the secrets associated with FBS and BBS or even the GPX technology and other manufacturers do with their programming or circuit designs.

Andy

I think what most guys are after as far as training goes is... How to combine the features provided in the V in a way they can figure out their soil and how to make it perform to its peak for them. I know that statement says a lot and covers a broad spectrum.

Example: Trying to understand what setting, or combination of settings, will give you greatest performance/depth in your soil? How do those settings impact the unit in another type of soil? OR, what combination of settings will quiet noisy mineralization chatter without killing the heck out of your performance? How do you minimize iron chatter/smear in an iron infested site so you can hear subtle "high" tones of silver?

Those type questions. I often wondered if I am setting one parameter thinking I am improving performance but am I killing it somewhere else. I believe this unit can do just about anything with all the adjustments available to the user... but nobody knows how to use them... and/or figure them out. Its a science at best.

This is about as close to an on-line training seminar as it gets...... and it is free. It is up to the user to do the fine tuning for THEIR ground, targets, hunting style and swing speed. Basic set-up is pretty easy with a test garden and spending a couple of hours to see what works best for YOU in YOUR ground. We can't help you with that because we don't know your ground and style. There are only a half dozen adjustments that really affects the depth, everything else are personal preferences. It is not really that hard to learn the V3i. I think the DFX was harder to master than the V3i.

The right customer for the V3i is someone who WANTS the unlimited adjustability and the ability to develop a custom made detector just for him/her. If this is not your primary reason to buy the V3i then maybe the VX3 or even the MXT Pro would be a better choice for you. Although the V3i works very well right out of the box for most users, the V3i IS the most advanced metal detector ever made. To get the most from it, plan on spending some time with it.