Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites tdi depth while prospecting for gold

Should have mentioned that I was using the White's Super Pulse 220 coil for the comparison, regardless of coil we can see the improvements. I will enjoy checking different coils and sizes to see which one works best.
Well worth the time and effort. Max the performance of the machine, use headphones and do your research, whatever it takes to get the result. I feel confident I have done my part, now just need a bit of luck..
All the best, Karelian

Whites mono based on the Eclipse 9.5 housing, good stable coil. Good all rounder and performs well on the beach and goldfields. The size makes it ideal and it is a bit better on the small targets compared to the 12" mono from Whites.
All the best, Karelian

Getting back to the specific subject of what depth a Tdi user can expect on gold. Using a Tdi Pro, ground balanced in heavily mineralized ground, gain at 5, pulse delay at 10, frequency in the middle and conductivity in ALL. Here are the results using a variety of coils on a variety of targets with these tests conducted on the actual Australian goldfield. Target were buried in the ground, sideways so as not to disturb the soil above and on the surface, only the 1 grain ingot was buried from the surface and one 0,5 gram gold coin. Realistic results under real world conditions. This is an old test but it is worthy of note. Just getting back to the original question asked at the beginning of the thread. Good luck with your Tdi SL Waterdog, a decent machine, very light and user friendly and excellent value.
All the best, Karelian

Jim in Idaho, I would have gone with the plastic off a milk jug, but had already ordered the carbon fibre sheet before I read your suggestion. Here are the images of the final product, no more changes to be made. No danger of using this battery pack in my MXT or XL Pro, it is quite distinct.. All the best, Karelian

Gave the Tdi SL a good run with the new 16 volt pack, no issues with heat or reliability. No problems of any kind except the holes I dig tend to be a bit deeper.. Karelian.

Since depth is the subject matter, it must be pointed out that the 'Welcome Stranger' nugget was found at a depth of 3 inches..... Take a deep breath and click on the image to get a close up of that monster.
Before anyone asks, no I don't work for Australian Tourism.... All the best, Karelian.

karelian said:
Getting back to the specific subject of what depth a Tdi user can expect on gold. Using a Tdi Pro, ground balanced in heavily mineralized ground, gain at 5, pulse delay at 10, frequency in the middle and conductivity in ALL. Here are the results using a variety of coils on a variety of targets with these tests conducted on the actual Australian goldfield. Target were buried in the ground, sideways so as not to disturb the soil above and on the surface, only the 1 grain ingot was buried from the surface and one 0,5 gram gold coin. Realistic results under real world conditions. This is an old test but it is worthy of note. Just getting back to the original question asked at the beginning of the thread. Good luck with your Tdi SL Waterdog, a decent machine, very light and user friendly and excellent value.
All the best, Karelian

On some of your other posts you tested the Detech 8" mono as edging out the Sadie. But I don't see it on your chart.

Yes the Detech 8" mono equalled and was slightly superior to the Sadie depending on target. That was an air test using a Tdi Pro. A quick ground test in moderately mineralized soil indicated the same thing. No proper testing has been conducted since I did the big coil comparisons some time ago so no additions will be made to that chart. If I do further testing it will be in the same locations and circumstances as the older tests but I'm not inclined to revisit the effort at the moment. The Detech 8" mono is at least as good and perhaps a bit better than the Sadie, that I can say given my limited time using it. Certainly a very solid coil, stable and balances well on the machine, no issues. For a week in the goldfields I'll be using the Tdi Pro with the Detech 15 x 10 mono, Detech 8" mono and the Sadie. The Tdi SL will be a backup machine. I'll have a better idea of preferences after that time. What I mean by preferences is that I'll have a opportunity to directly compare the two in real world circumstances. Given the closeness in sensitivity it will be interesting to see how they manage in highly mineralized soils. I'm familiar with the Sadie but this will be my first prospecting trip with both it and the Detech. The stability of the coil, how it manages ground noise etc may be the deciding factors, not just depth. Karelian

The newer models of the SL, including the Special Edition, have the second mod done at the factory. This mod removes diodes 20 and 21, and capacitor C56, and installs a jumper on D20. It increases the sensitivity across the board. They do not include the sweep speed mod, however.
Jim

The Sadie is a good compromise. You can't talk about depth without specifying the size of the target.On a bigger target, the bigger coils excel. But, they may not see a tiny target 2" below the surface. It's all about compromising. Also, what I said about the 16v battery pack applies to the larger coils as far as improvement goes. In my testing, I saw little improvement for the smaller coils...like the DF7.5, the Sadie, and the MJ5x9. Big improvement with the 12".DF. Air tests don't mean alot, but my SL can see a 1 grain...that's grain, not gram, nugget at 3" in an air test, using the 12"DF. However, because of terrain issues, I prefer to use the Sadie.
Jim
What is the DF mean? And what brand? I have the SL and have the two coils. I am trying to get the nugget finder 14X9.

Too bad Whites won't do these proven mods at the factory ---better to whither slowly on the vine than admit someone else improved their machine.
I agree. With them closing down, they really need to get the ball rolling and make a decent new detector. If they have to charge 3k for the darn machine. But i just think there machine is really one of the best on the market.

Hey everyone. Jim, are you able to do the upgrades? I was reading your advice and wanted to know if it was a possibility? I would really like to get me a bigger battery as well.