Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites tdi depth while prospecting for gold

Yea i asked Serious detector yesterday and they had it listed as a fit the the TDI, but unfortunately it will not fit with the TDI SI. Owell i was almost excited for a min. :)

The original TDI and TDI Pro take a different battery pack than the SL version. A guy calling himself "reidman2u" sells the SL version, with the increased voltage, on Ebay, though he doesn't currently have any listed. You might try contacting him on EBay.
Jim

Ok Jim that would be to cool. Do you mind me asking where are you prospecting? In Idaho? I asked because my sister lives in Idaho Falls.

My part of Idaho (southeastern) is a nugget void....LOL lots of flour in the Snake, but no nuggets. That's why I travel to Nevada, and Wyoming. Even Wyoming is tough, though it does have nuggets. I'm a member too, though I wouldn't join again. I'm not really a "group" guy. All that rah, rah stuff is wasted on me.
Jim

To give the SL model all the performance of the Pro, and maybe even better, you want three mods. First is the 16v battery pack. Those are no longer being sold, so you have to make your own, or find somebody to make you one. I just finished my second, so I have a backup. Second mod is to remove capacitors C20 and C21, which are .47ufd, and replace with .22ufd caps. What that does is increase the allowable sweep speed on tiny nuggets. As sold the SL requires a really slow sweep speed to see the smallest nuggets. Sweep too fast, and you won't detect them. Sweep really slowly, and there they are.That's part of why the SL has such smooth threshold. By changing those caps, you get slightly more variance in the threshold, but a much larger range of sweep speeds without losing the sensitivity to small gold. The third mod is to remove capacitor C56. Also removing diodes D20, and D21, and installing a jumper across two of the three terminals on D21's location on the board.. These last mods also increase the sensitivity. For the squeamish...just removing C56, and leaving the diodes in, will help. Do all these and your SL:will be every bit as good as the PRO, with less weight, and a smoother threshold. One guy I know just pulled 44 cents at a depth of 24" from a beach in Florida. He was using an * X 14 coil. The Whites factory, on the new Special Edition TDI has done the third mod. They removed D20, D21, and C56, and put the jumper on D21's location. I've heard, but don't know for a fact, that all SL's made after 2015 have had the third mod done.Only way to know is to take a look at the circuit board.
Here's a video showing the effect of the second mod...swapping the sweep speed caps:SS mod effects
Jim
I think I may have asked you on another forum but these mods can't be done to an original TDI?

No. There are similarities between the circuits, but they are not identical. The main issue with the originals was the warbley threshold. The issue with the SL was a slow sweep speed for tiny targets, and lack of sensitivity.
Jim

Nice work. That's identical to the one I built a couple of months ago. I installed the battery management board right between the batteries. Works good. I now have two of these....the first was purchased from Reidman. You're going to be surprised at the results of the added voltage. I use a buck converter as a charger. That allows me to set the max voltage on the charge. I generally limit it to 16.0v, rather than the typical max of 16.8v. By doing that, the pack will last longer, and it protects the detector from a possible over-voltage situation. You should also do the two mods that Reg Sniff suggested. Really makes the SL come alive.
Oh yeah....you'll have to find a THIN material for the cover on your new pack. I used a section of plastic milk jug, but a piece of vinyl notebook cover works OK, too.
Jim
Hello Jim in Idaho,,
Do you know anything about the Tesoros Tejon ?
Would doing this battery upgrade be good and safe for the Tejon ? Getting tired of eating AA's.

No. There are similarities between the circuits, but they are not identical. The main issue with the originals was the warbley threshold. The issue with the SL was a slow sweep speed for tiny targets, and lack of sensitivity.
Jim
Ok so depending on the board I may be able to do this upgrade I will check it out.

Hello Jim in Idaho,,
Do you know anything about the Tesoros Tejon ?
Would doing this battery upgrade be good and safe for the Tejon ? Getting tired of eating AA's.
I know absolutely nothing about any of the Tesoros. I don't even know if the Tejon is a PI. Increasing the voltage only benefits pulse-induction machines. Does nothing for VLF detectors. But VLF's can benefit from switching to rechargeable li-ion batteries, but only because they're rechargeable, and you don't have to buy batteries.
Jim

I know absolutely nothing about any of the Tesoros. I don't even know if the Tejon is a PI. Increasing the voltage only benefits pulse-induction machines. Does nothing for VLF detectors. But VLF's can benefit from switching to rechargeable li-ion batteries, but only because they're rechargeable, and you don't have to buy batteries.
Jim
Thanks for the reply Jim.