Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Who goes swimming; CTX3030 or Nox800

Chris(SoCenWI)

I recently bought a sand scoop. Water levels are really low up at the lake.

I have both the CTX and Nox. I've heard of water intrusion issues with both, I've never water hunted with either. My main detector is my Explorer XS, but that isn't waterproof.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks,

Chris

Would not trust either but the nox is cheaper to replace , Boy how can you have low water i'm 120 miles north of you and are local lakes are the highest i have see in 50 years, sube

Reactions: cw3
I bought an Excalbur II to dunk in the water.

If I had to choose the nox or ctx. I would dunk the nox, like sube said, cheaper to replace. My ctx is out of warranty, so, I don't dunk it any more. If you dunk the ctx make sure you put something on the usb cover threads. I got water in my ctx through the threads. The cap was tight but water got in. Luckily, I dried it out and its fine.

I do recovery calls all summer in the water. My Excalibur II spent about 20 hours last summer under water. I would not trust the ctx or nox to spend that much time under water.

Based on performance alone I would use the Equinox the others can't touch it. I have used mine in the water for years with no issues, might fail tomorrow who knows.
CWQ is right about the excal. being a dedicated water machine with a great reliability record.
HH Jeff

Based on performance alone I would use the Equinox the others can't touch it. I have used mine in the water for years with no issues, might fail tomorrow who knows.
CWQ is right about the excal. being a dedicated water machine with a great reliability record.
HH Jeff
Will you flesh out the “I would use the Equinox, the others can’t touch it” statement Jeff? The “others” being the OP’s CTX and XS I assume?

at the moment im diving with the nox 800 no worrys

Will you flesh out the “I would use the Equinox, the others can’t touch it” statement Jeff? The “others” being the OP’s CTX and XS I assume?
I knew that post would raise a few hairs LOL The only machines the op stated using in the water were the Equinox and the CTX as the XS didn't qualify. Based on my personal experiences the others including the Excal 2 {another post had to drag in} they can't compete in my fresh water comparisons. We are talking about fresh water in the original post. The others miss a substantial amount of "good" targets.
Just my opinion

I knew that post would raise a few hairs LOL The only machines the op stated using in the water were the Equinox and the CTX as the XS didn't qualify. Based on my personal experiences the others including the Excal 2 {another post had to drag in} they can't compete in my fresh water comparisons. We are talking about fresh water in the original post. The others miss a substantial amount of "good" targets.
Just my opinion
I am finally going to drag out the scoop I bought last year and actually do…some fresh water hunting. I would take the Equinox based on…
1) It’s under warranty
2) My CTX is NOT
3) Equinox is a “thinner build” and potentially easier to maintain a proper swing rate in the water from 2”-3’ in depth

The biggest thing that has to happen is…results. If I am not seeing it, then I’ll go back to what I know. It’s very interesting though that many different people have vastly different experiences, which can be for a plethora of reasons, many of which we CANNOT know. Thanks for the input!

I am finally going to drag out the scoop I bought last year and actually do…some fresh water hunting. I would take the Equinox based on…
1) It’s under warranty
2) My CTX is NOT
3) Equinox is a “thinner build” and potentially easier to maintain a proper swing rate in the water from 2”-3’ in depth

The biggest thing that has to happen is…results. If I am not seeing it, then I’ll go back to what I know. It’s very interesting though that many different people have vastly different experiences, which can be for a plethora of reasons, many of which we CANNOT know. Thanks for the input!
Its a different kind of animal, don't be afraid to dig some iffy signals and pay attention to the target sound not so much the numbers. Targets have a "signature" and that's the Equinox's way of telling you what's under the coil. I should post my last beach hunt it was a deal.

Would not trust either but the nox is cheaper to replace , Boy how can you have low water i'm 120 miles north of you and are local lakes are the highest i have see in 50 years, sube
Sube, The area I'm talking about is in West Central MN. They've had some rain since so maybe I missed the window of opportunity.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm sure the CTX is out of warrenty, NOX probably too.

There are many former resort sites around many of the local lakes that have since been turned into private cabins. Many pictures of swimmers over a hundred years ago. I'm sure coins were lost, but have no idea how deeply old coins get buried in lake sand. Anyone with experience?

Chris

I used to hunt the swimming holes in the mid 70s best tool to have was a 1/4 inch probe .I would push it in the sand till i hit gravel or hardpan this gave me the best indicator of how deep everything was going to be .
This also told me where things were to deep compared to a lake with gravel or hardpan but you still can find recent drops much swallower.
Most of the older targets were on the gravel or hardpan clay and so on .
AS for water levels in the lakes around me there deeper than i have ever saw and it's still raining most lakes here get drawn down over the summer from the potatoe farmers but not this year lakes well be high here for a few years .sube

Last edited:
Reactions: cw3
If I'm hunting water, I don't have the optimism to use either the CTX or the EQ for extended use at any depth.
Instead, I drag out my ancient 1280x, and it continues to prove it's 'waterproof-ness' and effectiveness.

I'm not saying YOU shouldn't use either of the first two....it's just not for me.
(Spent too many years as an engineer, designing for worst-case scenarios.)
mike

I bought an Excalbur II to dunk in the water.

If I had to choose the nox or ctx. I would dunk the nox, like sube said, cheaper to replace. My ctx is out of warranty, so, I don't dunk it any more. If you dunk the ctx make sure you put something on the usb cover threads. I got water in my ctx through the threads. The cap was tight but water got in. Luckily, I dried it out and its fine.

I do recovery calls all summer in the water. My Excalibur II spent about 20 hours last summer under water. I would not trust the ctx or nox to spend that much time under water.
In 2019 I was in very shallow river water and set my Nox 800 in about 14" of water while recovering some targets. Not any deeper. Got home and there was water behind the display. Minelab fixed it free of charge, but I never put my nox control panel in the water ever again.
I now have a CTX3030 and other than the coil, it will never see water and it is under a brand new 3 year warranty. Minelab should have used the terms "water resistant" instead of waterproof.

I recently bought a sand scoop. Water levels are really low up at the lake.

I have both the CTX and Nox. I've heard of water intrusion issues with both, I've never water hunted with either. My main detector is my Explorer XS, but that isn't waterproof.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks,

Chris
I use both in the water.
A little prep is needed on both before submerging.

on 3030 an extra o ring under the usb cover and a bit of ptfe tape on thread. The battery grove and washer must be spotless clean before inserting battery.
if its the newer battery that has additional rubber seal on lip, just check that is fully seated.

on the EQ, a battery top seal in handle is advisable (basically a silicon seal that blocks the vent hole in battery). Also make sure the headphone socket is fully sealed (ptfe tape is good)