Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Who's running a NEL THUNDER coil on their E-trac ?

Floodplaindetector runs one. Seems to like it, finds quite a bit with it too.

I have detected with him, he lives in my town or just a little north. He's pretty rabid. I have seen his finds at club meetings. :drool:

Good guy too.

I like the thunder over the Hunter. It is light, deep, and very responsive. I used a 2 tone Ferrous program on it the last hour of my hunt and it was like day and night. I was also using the Noise cancel at 1 and moved over to 2-3 based on emi. The emi just went away. Targets that were masked in the iron using Conductive were unmasked in the 2 tone Fe mode toggling the Noise cancel Just a idea.

nalc472 said:
I like the thunder over the Hunter. It is light, deep, and very responsive. I used a 2 tone Ferrous program on it the last hour of my hunt and it was like day and night. I was also using the Noise cancel at 1 and moved over to 2-3 based on emi. The emi just went away. Targets that were masked in the iron using Conductive were unmasked in the 2 tone Fe mode toggling the Noise cancel Just a idea.

Thanks to all for your various post on the THUNDER enquiry.

Nal, I certainly agree with your assessment, and may I add a comment about SWEEP speed...try sweeping VERY FAST over a few finds, and give us your opinion on the results.

Can you post a copy of your SMART SCREEN with the pattern you were running on the last outing?

I'm interested to see how it relates....two tones Fe and disc'd out iron coverage.......thanks, matt

hey there NALC...sorry for the dumb??s here
i have never run TTF but read a ton on it
so you manually move around your noise cancel??
i have only used it where the Etrac sets it upon the initial turn on sequence(the 60 second bit)
reading the manual, it seems that manually moving it would not help a great deal??
but reading your reply seems to suggest otherwise
and that thunder is a big a$$ coil NALC.....it must be a bear to pinpoint??
so me running the 11 inch stocker on my Etrac, what am i losing in depth to the NEL thunder approx??
thanks for your thoughts//advice in advance

set to 2 tones, Ferrous. Set Noise cancel to 1. If there is EMI move it to 2 and high until it disappears. I have been running the etrac for 3 years and this new idea is the best I have come up with. Eureka moment. It starting not nulling out in iron and giving me good signal tones and readings. Send me a PM with your email and I will send my pattern file. Thunder coil is not wide as the stock 11 coil but 15 high. It will amaze you.

wowww NALC....thats sounds really tremendous!
glad you are killing it....and i would surely love to experiment with your methodologies
i looked up the Thunder coil and i must have seen the wrong one??
it was on KellyCo....a 14.5 inch round one
so i will keep looking for the taller narrower one you described
sounds like you really like it alot; seems amazing to me that the OEM coil would not be the best fit for the Etrac
you would think that their circuits would like their circuits best.....and the response would be in lock step
i did send you my email address in a private email NALC....thank you for your generosity!!

Thunder is a little wider than I thought but is 14.5x10.5 But is weight is only 20.1 oz. It is oval shaped. Cover more ground, better hitting than stock coil, and near same weight as stock coil. It does great with EMI also. I think the Hunter coil is not as good with EMI. If I wanted 2 coils in my arsenal it would be the Tornado and THunder coil for E-trac.

Stock coil weights 1.3125lb or 21.00000oz. Thunder coil weighs less. Greater coverage with less weight. So the machine will not feel off balance.

Link showing Specs of stock coil

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/minelab-11-fbs-pro-coil/

pinpointing on thunder coil come right at the tip of the top of coil. Not in front of the coil like on other NEL and the stock coil. So I wiggle around 90 degrees and dig about 1 inch inside the tip of the coil about a 3 inch plug.

great information Kurt...appreciate your experience and the feedback
so the difference between the THUNDER and the TORNADO is just the size basically??
....ergo depth?

I think the Thunder is more responsive to targets at up to 8 inches. What i mean is it seems to hit hard on targets up to 8 inches. The tornado can achieve 8 inches but does not hit has hard (hear clear signal of the the target with good vdi) Freq shifting as low as possible to me using TTF will hopefully achieve the following:

Low frequency detectors are better at detecting highly conductive metals like silver. The longer waves are also better at penetrating the ground so they can lead to getting greater depth. But it is not as good at finding objects that are small or have low conductivity. This kind of metal detector will typically be in the range of about 5 kHz and below.

Will test the theory on the well pounded sites I have already detected. If I find one sliver it the theory will have been proven. LOL :)

ahhh...i see many silvers in your future Kurt...
what area of the country do you predominantly hunt if you do not mind sharing?....parks?..schools? private houses?
and when you run this theoretical technique, do you go AUTO plus 3 on the sens...or manual up high??

I used to be a Signals Analyst in the Air Force. I gave it some thought and came up what I think is going on with the FBS. I am aware of that type of system of spread spectrum from my AF days.
spread spectum defined:

This is a technique in which a telecommunication signal is transmitted on a bandwidth considerably larger than the frequency content of the original information. Frequency hopping is a basic modulation technique used in spread spectrum signal transmission. here is the link if U want to read about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum

I put it like this. Take a ruler and give it 100 marks on it. Start at 1.5khz and space out 28 signals all the way to 100khz.So say at Noise cancel 1 it is starting transmitting at 1.5kz on the low end. move to setting 2 and the ruler shifts to 4kz at the bottom. Time U get to 11 noise cancel it is to around 35kz on the bottom freq. So it always seems to start at Noise cancel 6 or around 16khz. So if I want to get silver I will start at the Noise cancel 1 to make sure 1.5khz is my starting point and move up only as needed. I do not want to move my "Ruler" of freqs over past say 5hz on setting say 3. Just an idea to think about.

I run in parks, small home lots, large lots, and on the moon if they have coins to get. I will hunt anywhere but water.

Water is what my other detector is for. But sadly we dont have much water here.

I bought a AT Pro for my boy. But I use it more than him. I had it in the river once. Gonna need some water proff head phones for sure if I do much of that. I also picked up a 5x8 coil for it and it does really well on all hunts. My other detector is a upgraded AT Pro to the LTD2. Just a killer machine and has found me many keepers. The good thing about the AT Pro is I can get much closer to large metal than my etrac or F75 when hunting tot lots.

The reason I am following this post as I am wondering if buying another coil for my etrac is needed. I really dont get to hunt with my large coils much. I already have 4 coils for the etrac, was happy with all of them. So far 10 inches is about the depth Im hunting. But could go deeper if I wanted.