Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why all the 800 hate?

Seems like a lot of people hate the 800. I love mine. Maybe I am missing out by keeping with it? I used the EX2 for a long time. When the Nox 800 came out I bought as soon as I could. Been using it since. Before anyone says it leaks. I only submerged the control box of mine a few times and briefly at that. All other times it was just the coil and shaft in the water. Besides the issue of leaking what did you not like in the 800 that you like in another machine? Just curious. TIA

Lot of haters out there LOL
They hated the release
they hated the build
they blaugh blaugh blaugh blaugh blaugh blaugh blaugh
I was an early adaptor and have thoroughly enjoyed the first true simultaneous multi frequency detector and have slaughtered hunted out site after site with it.
That statement should bring out the haters!
HH Jeff

Seems like a lot of people hate the 800. I love mine. Maybe I am missing out by keeping with it? I used the EX2 for a long time. When the Nox 800 came out I bought as soon as I could. Been using it since. Before anyone says it leaks. I only submerged the control box of mine a few times and briefly at that. All other times it was just the coil and shaft in the water. Besides the issue of leaking what did you not like in the 800 that you like in another machine? Just curious. TIA
WHAAAAAT ? Everybody I know loves the 800. With the exception of some build quality issues probably the best machine to come along in a decade or better. Multi-IQ changed metal detecting. I know several guys, 1 who parked the Manticore and 2 the 900 and went back to the 800. I am considering the same. I'm sure some water hunters would say different and rightfully so but for turf hunting the 800 has been great for me. My 2 cents

You might be confusing distaste for the corporate shenanigans of Minelab for 800 hate. Their marketing strategy and lack of customer appreciation coupled with the refusal to deny they have some quality control issues has left a bad image in a lot of peoples minds. When my etrac and CTX became un-servicable I could have bought back into the Minelab line if I had the same detecting opportunites I had 10 years ago , but other companies have caught or surpassed what Minelab has to offer and there's no sense in paying twice the cost for much the same thing with today's diminishing returns. Minelab is no longer unique any where except in their own opinions.

WHAAAAAT ? Everybody I know loves the 800. With the exception of some build quality issues probably the best machine to come along in a decade or better. Multi-IQ changed metal detecting. I know several guys, 1 who parked the Manticore and 2 the 900 and went back to the 800. I am considering the same. I'm sure some water hunters would say different and rightfully so but for turf hunting the 800 has been great for me. My 2 cents
Mark, the individuals that reverted back to the 800, what are their reason(s)? I loved the 800 but sold it. I now operate the 900. I only have one good hunt with the 900
(I been out due to foot surgery) but from what I have witnessed, I’m going to stick with it.

You might be confusing distaste for the corporate shenanigans of Minelab for 800 hate. Their marketing strategy and lack of customer appreciation coupled with the refusal to deny they have some quality control issues has left a bad image in a lot of peoples minds. When my etrac and CTX became un-servicable I could have bought back into the Minelab line if I had the same detecting opportunites I had 10 years ago , but other companies have caught or surpassed what Minelab has to offer and there's no sense in paying twice the cost for much the same thing with today's diminishing returns. Minelab is no longer unique any where except in their own opinions.
That makes sense. I agree on this. When I got the Explorer 2 on release June 2003 for my birthday nothing came close in top of the line machines. Now Minelab is being threatened if not beaten by Deus, Nokia, and others. Price is ok overall for the Equinox and I would pay full price again but overall their prices are on the high side. Especially the gold machines….

Mark, the individuals that reverted back to the 800, what are their reason(s)? I loved the 800 but sold it. I now operate the 900. I only have one good hunt with the 900
(I been out due to foot surgery) but from what I have witnessed, I’m going to stick with it.
Jimmy good morning. Hope you heal up quick. The falsing, jumpy numbers are just part of it. My one buddy lives about an hour north of me, we got the 900s in mid Dec. He said he just doesn't care for it. He likes the 800 better. He's only been in the hobby 3 or 4 years and using an 800 all that time. I understand the comfort zone. Had the 900 out maybe a dozen times and didn't do very well with it.
The other guy has been swinging Minelabs for over 20 years, A deep park silver hunter. He used an Explorer, got a CTX when it came out and an Equinox 800 when they came out and had one of the first Manticores. Not all too impressed by it he bought a 900. Used it 8 or 10 times and sold it. He went back to the 800. Last I talked to him he still had the Manticore.
Me I got an 800 when they came out in Feb. of 18 and used it till the release of the 900 last Dec. I try to get out at least 100 times a year. So far I have 50 + hunts with the 900 and found some pretty cool stuff.
BUT and this is referring to the above mentioned guys, here in Pa. dirt the 900 or the Manticore do not seem to be hitting deep targets. I just commented on this on another forum. In my test garden the 900 hit the coins better than the 800 and my first silver of the year in mild top soil hit a 9 in. dime. But since I have yet to dig a coin over 6in. deep. Everything seems to be in the 2 to 4 in. range. A few deeper. I haven't given up on the 900 yet, there are a few other dislikes but thats another conversation.
Don't let my experiences discourage you, where you are at you may see completely different results. I have seen some very good reports on the 900, I think more so than the Manticore. That machine has more than a few scratching their heads. Good luck and I hope you can get back at it soon. Mark

Jimmy good morning. Hope you heal up quick. The falsing, jumpy numbers are just part of it. My one buddy lives about an hour north of me, we got the 900s in mid Dec. He said he just doesn't care for it. He likes the 800 better. He's only been in the hobby 3 or 4 years and using an 800 all that time. I understand the comfort zone. Had the 900 out maybe a dozen times and didn't do very well with it.
The other guy has been swinging Minelabs for over 20 years, A deep park silver hunter. He used an Explorer, got a CTX when it came out and an Equinox 800 when they came out and had one of the first Manticores. Not all too impressed by it he bought a 900. Used it 8 or 10 times and sold it. He went back to the 800. Last I talked to him he still had the Manticore.
Me I got an 800 when they came out in Feb. of 18 and used it till the release of the 900 last Dec. I try to get out at least 100 times a year. So far I have 50 + hunts with the 900 and found some pretty cool stuff.
BUT and this is referring to the above mentioned guys, here in Pa. dirt the 900 or the Manticore do not seem to be hitting deep targets. I just commented on this on another forum. In my test garden the 900 hit the coins better than the 800 and my first silver of the year in mild top soil hit a 9 in. dime. But since I have yet to dig a coin over 6in. deep. Everything seems to be in the 2 to 4 in. range. A few deeper. I haven't given up on the 900 yet, there are a few other dislikes but thats another conversation.
Don't let my experiences discourage you, where you are at you may see completely different results. I have seen some very good reports on the 900, I think more so than the Manticore. That machine has more than a few scratching their heads. Good luck and I hope you can get back at it soon. Mark
Thanks Mark I am on the mend. Keep at it with the 900. It’s an equinox with an expanded scale. That’s what we need to get use to. It’s time to learn all over again lol. Best of luck in the field.

Not a hater, but outside of a beach setting, it was not measuring up to Ronstar's F70 or my etrac/ctx.

I spent more than 20 hours lugging around multiple detectors, gridding, taking a methodical approach to it all. I was hoping it would be The One, because of the weight of my other machines.

Long story short-- it was missing some easy silver even my kid's ATPro was hitting, so sold it. Bought a Legend and enjoy the machine. Certainly a less frustrating detector for me and my wife in the areas we hunt, and it let me sell the CTX. Ymmv.

Caveat: it is possible there was a problem with the coil/machine-- Ronstar's hypothesis.

PS-- I also found the 800 to be a trashhound.

For all you guys that love the machine and find great stuff with it-- awesome! But like the .270 Winchester, we just were not a good fit.

I think a lot of the resentment toward the 800 was because of a few testers who ridiculed every other "obsolete" detector and said you were stupid if you didn't have the 800. That made people who were happy with the one they had look for flaws. Also, owners claimed it was the first ever SMF when Fisher, Whites, and Minelab all had them before the 800. I don't see a lot of hate anymore. It seems most people who purchased them liked and did well with them.

Not a hater, but outside of a beach setting, it was not measuring up to Ronstar's F70 or my etrac/ctx.

I spent more than 20 hours lugging around multiple detectors, gridding, taking a methodical approach to it all. I was hoping it would be The One, because of the weight of my other machines.

Long story short-- it was missing some easy silver even my kid's ATPro was hitting, so sold it. Bought a Legend and enjoy the machine. Certainly a less frustrating detector for me and my wife in the areas we hunt, and it let me sell the CTX. Ymmv.

Caveat: it is possible there was a problem with the coil/machine-- Ronstar's hypothesis.

PS-- I also found the 800 to be a trashhound.

For all you guys that love the machine and find great stuff with it-- awesome! But like the .270 Winchester, we just were not a good fit.
Ha ha jkline, good analogy. I'm a .280 REM/ 7mm Express guy. Jack O'Conner did what he could but Jim Carmichael was my guru. Have been considering a Legend as of late. Good luck. Mark

had one a few years back, did good with it. Now i have a legend, not getting rid of it, will be acquiring a manticore soon. Was not crazy about the ears on the coil although i did get stiffeners for it. My hunting doesn't start til end of summer due to how stupid busy i am trying to keep up with wife's property weedeating and mowing. Then Sept thru March is my hunting time

I own the 800 and like it for beach hunting. Even tho I haven't hunted that much with it, I like the weight. I still own a CXT 3030 and like it but was too heavy for me to be out all day with it. Arthritis in the shoulders isnt a good thing. So, the CXT sits on the shelf now days. Thought about putting it in the classifieds. But the 800, I do just fine with it. Slowly getting interested in the manticore. But hearing guys likening their 800 over the 900 and etc kind of makes me think other wise.

I’ve own a 600 and 800 since 2019 the depth is the same as finding targets and minelab said there isn’t any difference there , I’ve used both in the salt water they both leaked 600 replaced once 800 replaced 2 times but I think they have fixed the leaking issue ,both has leaked now , If one does leak I will replace it and keep using the nox I like it . Manticore not much better for the price by my understanding .