Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why all the earth sound iron in all metal?

BetaGod

Hello guys, today i tried my nox 600! I search in high mineralized ground.. if i set no sound for ferrous target is all ok.. but if i set "all metal sound" everywhere sounds like iron.. the ground sound like iron! I tried to balanced auto and manual but is the same..

there is a reason? I like to ears all signals.. ferrous and no ferrous.. but if the ground sound all iron i can't!!

Try auto balance but not raising and lowering the coil, instead sweep the coil over the ground as if you are hunting. Otherwise lower the sensitivity or try single frequency.

Jackpine Savage said:
Try auto balance but not raising and lowering the coil, instead sweep the coil over the ground as if you are hunting. Otherwise lower the sensitivity or try single frequency.
I tried but is the same! If i lower sensitivity to 17/18 is ok but i will lost deep! I can try a single frequence but i bought the nox for the multi :huh:

trojdor said:
What number did your ground balance to?
i think 13/14

BetaGod --

It is possible that the site you are hunting just has alot of small iron bits/pieces in the ground, and it's the iron you are hearing. Have you tried more than one location? I wonder if you might find a different site and try it there -- and see if you get the same results...

Steve

Things id try......... run 0 threshold....... increase your recovery speed which will shorten your target response...... unless you are relic hunting im not sure that AM on this machine does anything more than make addition nose like you said at some sites. the Nox recovers so fast if there is a target near iron you will hear the non-ferrous tone... to open and you hear a non-ferrous tone coming off iron. Sensitivity is the biggest factor affecting your noise....... if you get to much noise you arent getting the depth anyway so reduce the sensitivity. Like Steve said..... auto GB if 0 default isnt working. 50 tones...... may be to many...... i notice those constant mineral tones seemed to be more in the ferrous range with 50 tones. Mind numbing. With the 800 we can adjust some of the tones as well which can reduce the noise as well.

You won't lose depth by lowering the sensitivity!!! Lower it until the machine is stable. Make sure you noise cancel first. Good luck!

Dean

sgoss66 said:
BetaGod --

It is possible that the site you are hunting just has alot of small iron bits/pieces in the ground, and it's the iron you are hearing. Have you tried more than one location? I wonder if you might find a different site and try it there -- and see if you get the same results...

Steve
I tried in 2 different site and it sounds iron everywhere!

dewcon4414 said:
Things id try......... run 0 threshold....... increase your recovery speed which will shorten your target response...... unless you are relic hunting im not sure that AM on this machine does anything more than make addition nose like you said at some sites. the Nox recovers so fast if there is a target near iron you will hear the non-ferrous tone... to open and you hear a non-ferrous tone coming off iron. Sensitivity is the biggest factor affecting your noise....... if you get to much noise you arent getting the depth anyway so reduce the sensitivity. Like Steve said..... auto GB if 0 default isnt working. 50 tones...... may be to many...... i notice those constant mineral tones seemed to be more in the ferrous range with 50 tones. Mind numbing. With the 800 we can adjust some of the tones as well which can reduce the noise as well.
I run with 0 threshold and tried with 2 and 3 recovery but is the same! What do you mean for "AM"? I tried with GB 0, auto and manual but is the same! I will try to decrease the sensitivity!

dbado1 said:
You won't lose depth by lowering the sensitivity!!! Lower it until the machine is stable. Make sure you noise cancel first. Good luck!

Dean
why I wont lose depth by lowering the sensitivity??

BetaGod -- interesting. There just may be a TON of iron in your dirt...small iron that the machine is seeing. I wouldn't worry about it; it's not "hurting" anything to have those iron tones sounding off, as long as your ground balance is correct. If it's HEARING those tones that annoys you, you can always disc the iron, or run the iron range at a lower volume...

As for lowering the sensitivity, obviously if you lower it FAR enough, you will start to lose some depth. What Dean was saying is, this machine, more than many others, seems VERY forgiving, in terms of not losing much depth when you lower sensitivity -- even when you lower it fairly substantially. Even running in the teens for a sensitivity setting, the Equinox isn't losing much. He is just trying to stress for you not to worry about it too much if you have to lower sensitivity even into the teens, to achieve a "pleasant" hunt with a "stable" machine. It will still be quite deep...

Steve

BetaGod ....What everyone else said ...Your running the machine way to hot.

2 ...3 reci very in your case my be to LOW. Move it to 5.... if that settles it try 4. Sensitivity. ... 20 this seems to be a very good starting point.

Pretty simple if your getting to much noise depth don't mean anything anyway because you won't hear the signal.. Even if you lower the sensitivity you won't know if you missed something because you won't know you lost depth anyway

sgoss66 said:
BetaGod -- interesting. There just may be a TON of iron in your dirt...small iron that the machine is seeing. I wouldn't worry about it; it's not "hurting" anything to have those iron tones sounding off, as long as your ground balance is correct. If it's HEARING those tones that annoys you, you can always disc the iron, or run the iron range at a lower volume...

As for lowering the sensitivity, obviously if you lower it FAR enough, you will start to lose some depth. What Dean was saying is, this machine, more than many others, seems VERY forgiving, in terms of not losing much depth when you lower sensitivity -- even when you lower it fairly substantially. Even running in the teens for a sensitivity setting, the Equinox isn't losing much. He is just trying to stress for you not to worry about it too much if you have to lower sensitivity even into the teens, to achieve a "pleasant" hunt with a "stable" machine. It will still be quite deep...

Steve

Exactly! Well said , Steve.

Dean

BetaGod said:
Steve

Although it could simply be you're running your sens too high, I'm starting to suspect the possibility you may not realize that there IS iron everywhere...at least everywhere people have been.
The longer they've been there, the more iron there is.

Are those iron signals repeatable?
If so, try digging some of those iron signals to see if they're real.

BTW, how long have you been metal detecting? It might help us tailor our responses...

trojdor said:
Steve

Although it could simply be you're running your sens too high, I'm starting to suspect the possibility you may not realize that there IS iron everywhere...at least everywhere people have been.
The longer they've been there, the more iron there is.

Are those iron signals repeatable?
If so, try digging some of those iron signals to see if they're real.

BTW, how long have you been metal detecting? It might help us tailor our responses...
There is not iron everywhere! The signal is not repetable and i tried to see iron with my GPX 5000 and there is not any iron!

I'm not new on metal detecting :) I had ctx 3030, gpx 5000 and nox 600 too.. and i tried around 20 different machine!!

Make sure the threshold volume is down to a low audible tone. If the threshold volume is too high, you may be mistaking it as a ground noise.

BetaGod said:
There is not iron everywhere! The signal is not repetable and i tried to see iron with my GPX 5000 and there is not any iron!

I'm not new on metal detecting :) I had ctx 3030, gpx 5000 and nox 600 too.. and i tried around 20 different machine!!

No need to get excited...they were just necessary questions meant to eliminate the obvious. (Not intended as insults.)
Kind of like checking first to make sure your car isn't out of fuel when it won't start.

Now that you've clarified the circumstances, the majority of the earlier responses are probably correct...you're more than likely running sensitivity too hot.
Simply try turning down the sens to see if it eliminates the noise.

I can simulate exactly the same symptoms by cranking up my sensitivity. That doesn't guarantee it's the same problem, but it's a good guess.
Good Luck,
:)
mike