Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why Are You Into Detecting? Is It All About The Bling? Then You're Cheating Yourself Out Of It's Truest Treasures & Greatest Rewards, & Will Never Fee

Critterhunter

This thing has been kicking around in my mind for a while now, and I thought I'd finally sit down and put into words why this hobby means so much to me, in the hopes that others one day will find the greatest enjoyment and rewards it has to offer, that took me a while to discover for myself with time and maturity to "season" my perspective, so to speak...

Early on, for a good part of the first half of my detecting "career", what mattered to me most was what I could find and how quickly I could find it. Friends, being out in nature, history...All these things were of secondary nature to me and only useful to achieve my objectives of finding that elusive old coin or big fat gold ring I had been after. Everything else other than what ended up in my pouch was pretty much not at the top of my priority list.

It took me some years in this hobby, along with maturity as I got a bit older, to really realize just what it had to offer to me that was much more rewarding in the long run, giving me far greater satisfaction as to all it had to offer. So, in the hopes that I help a few new to this great pass time "come up to speed" a little quicker, where it took me far longer to open my eyes, I've got a few stories to relate to you...

I'll start with an old acquaintance of mine that I've known for years. This friend I always looked forward to seeing and enjoying his company. With every visit with each other we'd talk and share past memories we experienced, but are good enough friends that we can let long periods of time pass without feeling the need to say a word, lost deep in our thoughts of of our own and just "knowing" that a word doesn't need said in contemplating where we've been, and where we are now in perspective traveling through life in each other's company to dwell on things.

My friend always welcomes me with opening arms, and yes, just like me, we both look a little order since we first met. A little rougher around the edges, with signs of wear or battle scars in our passing through life. Not the young and innocent types we once were, but grateful we know now what we didn't know back then.

This friend, while I can visit him on any given day and time, I especially reserve for days I need the peace, solace, and understanding he offers, where I can unwind and forget life's problems for a few hours, as we enjoy each others company and lose the world for a few hours. Not that we need the bonding, but often he's known to offer me up a few gifts for paying him a visit. I'm always thankful to him, but by far more so for the visit he always invites me in to without feeling imposed upon.

Sometimes I bring a friend of mine to visit him, so that he too can find what I have, and enjoy the experience of good friends and good company, leaving with a peace you just can't find in a pill or a bottle of your favorite liquor. I want others to enjoy what I get out of the visit to this old friend, and soak in the peace and tranquility he might offer to them, as he does to me, and perhaps they too will build a long standing relationship with each other.

This friend, and not the only important part of this hobby by far with more to follow in concept in the next post...In case you haven't guessed already, is not a friend but rather a site. This site is always welcoming to me, far secluded from the rush of the world, surrounded by woods, and offering me sanctuary when I need it most, to clear my mind and lose life's problems and challenges for a few hours, where I can put on those headphones and lose the world.

The perspectives of our "friendship" go far beyond what I can relate in words, but as one small example of our "relationship", this old friend of mine offers me gifts rather grudgingly, and in return I try to return the favor in kind, by removing trash both on the ground and on the surface, that I feel is a blight on this "friend's" good name in some ways.

Yes, I have far more productive places I could hunt, having pounded this site for all it's worth over eons, but to be honest I'd much rather spend a whole day of solitude in it's peaceful company, rather than go somewhere else and find much more yet have to deal with the reminders around me of life's intrusions.

Besides, this old "friend" of mine has other gifts to offer, such as the deer "he" allows to roam his property, the turkey that grace it's presence early in a morning's visit, or the smells of the nature in which "he" lives in his surroundings, and most importantly the fine sense of peace of mind that many times I can't find anywhere else. You can't put a price on that, no matter how much silver or gold you dig up.

I look at this site as a fine whiskey which I only pull out on special needed occasions, when I just need that relief that no amount of anything else will offer. Like a fine whiskey shared among friends to relax and enjoy each others company in deep thoughts and conversation, so does this site offer that to me. And, just like a fine whiskey, I don't guzzle down all it has to offer in one day, and "use it up" as quick as possible.

I never go there with the intent of taking it all, but rather it's the journey and not the destination, so I've never had the intent to strip mind the place, or in analogy take advantage of my good friend. It's a gentle more "let's share this moment" type of experience, where I don't want to rush the visit, nor do I want to use it up as quickly as possible so I can move on.

In 20 years or so I've not worked it hard. Yes, worked it, but not like I was robbing a bank. I want to savor every "sip of that whiskey". I want that bottle on the shelf for another 20 years to come, to be there on days I need it, when the world has me rattled. I want our relationship to live on without things getting old and dry for both of us, by revealing to each other all we had to offer as quickly as we could. I want us to be "friends" for a very long time.

And one day, should that friend not be able to offer me "gifts" anymore due to his present condition in life, I won't be dumping that him looking for more productive waters. Waters elsewhere may be more productive, but are they as calm, warm, and inviting? I think not, no matter what else I find some day...

In the next post, I'll relate the other true treasure to me in this hobby, which if you are missing then you'll never feel "rich", no matter how heavy your pouch gets with gold or silver...

And, in this next post, I'll try to relay the other true treasure in this hobby, and the richness of what it's provided to me, far beyond what I could have ever imagined I would find on any given day...

I want to tell you about my friends. People, several of which, I met long ago....About 20 years or so now with many in my tight group of local fellow hunters, who have provided to me far beyond what I could ever imagine as "great finds" in sites they'd take me to, and the flip side of that coin being where I'd take them.

Several of these people have become very close, best friends so to speak, relationships in my life. They are what I live for in many respects, and these days I don't much even care to hunt alone, as compared to when they can make it, because somehow something is "lost" no matter what I may "find" if I can't share the experience with them. They are what makes this hobby "worth it" to me these days. They are the ones who I can share with, mess with, and in return for my intrusions on their lives, they give me the same in return.

We have been joined in friendship by what for all intensive purposes you might think is a hobby with very frivolous impacts on life in the big picture of things, but I can attest to you that they, found to me through this hobby, are far more of an impact on my life than what I find at the bottom of the next hole in the ground I dig. To me at least, we are linked together, far beyond us swinging a detector in each other's company...Far beyond words.

They have become to me that silver readed edge that makes your heart stop when you see it sticking out of the dirt. They give me that rush of that, or far more importantly the sense of comfort and satisfaction of wanting to "lose the world", that nothing else in life has. They make it easier to cope with life's challenges, and in return just maybe, in some small way, I do that for them in the stupid jokes and mindless fluff of conversation I might return in return...Just to forget about your problems at work, the unruly kids they may have, or the wife's telling them that they aren't living up to expectations they perceived.

Yes, I'm not going to try to make a case for saying I mean as much to them as they do to me in all perspectives, but I'll at least say that I try to be as much to them as they have been to me, in the larger impact of distractions to make life more tolerable. If I'm not as that important to them, then I owe them all there is, because it's a one way street of impact on my part. They have made life bearable for me, at times when I didn't think I could bear anymore. They gave me peace, they gave and give me reason to look forward. They give me what life is meant to be about, and that's not any amount of "bling" you end up with at the bottom of your pouch on any given day.

These friendships have gone far beyond detecting. I've given them homemade wine, and they've given me various gifts in return. We'll meet up for breakfast or just call each other to vent on life. Yes, some in our small circle among us, have evolved far beyond what is just beyond detecting, much more so then I can relate in words at this moment. We are "friends", not just "detecting buddies".

Sure, most of our lives in relation to each other probably revolves around the subject of detecting, but only because that is the kernel of gravity that first brought us together, and I guarantee you should I need help, or them otherwise, we would be there for each other. We are now not "detecting friends." That was only the start, not the final equation in our make up to each other. I can't imagine life without a few of them now. They are to me what a best friend is, and I hope in some small way I am to them...

In closing, I'd like to offer these final words on how this hobby can change your life, and I'll emphasise that by saying in more ways then one...That recently somebody emailed me, who knew I was local to him based on the content of a obscure post in a distant part of the net, and he asked me if I'd be willing to show him the ropes of this new hobby to him, and that he also wondered if I had a local group of hunters who would accept him under their wings, so to speak, to bring him along in those respects.

Well, I had said sure, and as we conversed in Emails, not having yet talked on the phone, I told him that he could call me any time he wished, as I had gone to school for a certain technical trade and was still looking for a job in it due to the nature of our present economy. Long story short, by making that off handed remark in an Email to somebody I never met before or talked on the phone to, he responded back that he grew up with a friend who now owns a business in that particular field I was seeking a job in.

Next thing you know it's been several months now. I have a great boss, a great potential career as I learn the trade and technical aspects of it that you could never learn with schooling alone, and more importantly I've now got a new friend within our circle of local hunters, who I'm grateful that somehow God opened a window to when a door was closed, in respective of more ways than one.

Yes, life can change on a dime, and I'll say this...If it wasn't for this hobby, I'd still be waiting for that "change". Yes, there are far more important things in life than what you dig. These days, I get just as much satisfaction out of watching somebody dig a good find, than I do digging it myself. It's all about the journey and sharing that travel, then it is about who ends up with what on any given day.

I've had some complain to me that I take my time to much, sweeping from various angles over a target to soak up it's traits, and remark that I just need to dig and move on. Well, it's not have making tracks, it's above the scenery along the way, and who you share it with. To me, that's the far more important thing. It's about being in the moment and joy of life, and not so much where it ends. That will come with proper choices, and though I'm no where near it yet, at least these days I give more thought as to who I'm stepping on to get there...

So, in closing, the whole intent of this thread is not to come off as some kind of "I'm beyond you" type of thing, but rather I'm just trying to speed up for others what I have learned. Smell the roses. Enjoy, share, and soak it all in for what it's worth, for all the RIGHT reasons. After all, if you finally reach where your going, and then somebody asked you how you got there, do you want to lie about it in shame, or do you want to proudly tel that story, of how you tried to bring along others, as they brought you along in life as well.....:thumbup:

As a closing though, in case you missed it, I get far greater satisfaction these days then I did in my "greedy" days. That mindset ruins things, it doesn't improve them, no matter what you find. Hope you find it to be the case as well for you, and if you don't yet, give it time...With maturity you'll get there, because I never thought I would, and am thankful that God has graced me with such thoughts.

Yea, sure have the "green eye" thing in my head here and there, but the difference is I can control it now, where as before it always controlled me. Just human nature to "want" and "envy". We all fight that, and to say otherwise isn't being honest, but if you can win that battle at least some times, then I'm sure somebody up there is smiling upon you, just as you will be smiling upon yourself that you didn't deprive all convictions to get what you wanted in some primal way we are all born with...

Hello, is very little my English and the google translator does not help much, but just tell you one thing: I wish that in the world had more people like you! May your thoughts be as even-handed and mature like you
Thanks for sharing your friends

Critter, maybe some of us just enjoy the solitude while detecting. Not thinking of the arguments that are going on in the neighborhood. What ever we find is just something to take the stress off ones life. My wife calls this the No Return Hobby!

Ever since I was quite young I have loved to Hunt and Fish. Being Outdoors is only part of Hunting and Fishing. There is always the anticipation of the next game animal passing by or the next fish biting. I have had excellent days afield when I did not shoot anything or catch a single fish. The being there and the anticipation and the possibilities made the day excellent. I find the same thing with metal detecting. The next target that the coil passes over has so much possibility. I have had days when I dug up over 13 dollars in coins and days where I dug less than a Dollar. Both days were very good days because I was outdoors and the anticipation of what might be the next target made them so.

I like to think of detecting as a survival skill that could come in handy. Just like Hunting/Fishing/Trapping will and have. Could a person survive off of what we find detecting? That depends, but it sure is something I like to think about when a fellow can leave the house with no money, and pull 10 bucks of clad in a morning, and perhaps a gold or silver item as well. Makes me feel good to know I can go anywhere in the World and find enough to buy something if I needed to, even if its just a cup of coffee. Good clean excersize, physically and mentally.
Mud

I like to think that way too, my friends think I'm crazy but hey I'm the only one with a detector so maybe they are the crazy ones

mudpuppy said:
I like to think of detecting as a survival skill that could come in handy. Just like Hunting/Fishing/Trapping will and have. Could a person survive off of what we find detecting? That depends, but it sure is something I like to think about when a fellow can leave the house with no money, and pull 10 bucks of clad in a morning, and perhaps a gold or silver item as well. Makes me feel good to know I can go anywhere in the World and find enough to buy something if I needed to, even if its just a cup of coffee. Good clean excersize, physically and mentally.
Mud

I found that friend years ago and have have the ability to know exactly what you are refering to in your post. I too can go to other places with a higher return rate monetarily. These acres of solitude in the great upstate New York area have many great seasons and I find myself walking through the woods and sitting on logs and stumps enjoying nature. My mother loved this area . I have a story to tell you which you couldnt make up if you wanted to. My mother passed away in Jan 2012 and in Feb 2012 we hit an unusually warm spell in the Adirondacks. I have never been able to detect in February in this part of the state and I decided that I wanted some peace and quiet so I went to my favorite spot. I was walking through the woods and the temp was in the high 40's. Decided to sit down on a stump and was talking to my mother in my head. I asked her to give me a sign that everything was alright. Not that I was thinking that a bolt of lightning was going to hit me or something crazy like that. I stood up and put my detector on the ground and got a signal. Within 15 seconds of me standing up from that stump I uncovered a standing liberty half with Lady liberty staring at me with the sun behind her and in god we trust glaring at me. I couldn't believe my eyes and to this day I believe that my Mother sent me a sign that I would recognize. It was the only thing that I found that day. I put that coin in a case and labeled it Moms sign Feb 6 2012.

I confess, I tend to be somewhat of a worrywart.:sadwalk:

But not when I'm detecting. With my coil swinging my thoughts are so "UP" I don't have time for the alternative. :clapping:

I get that. fishermen have that peace there on the water, hunters have that sitting in a tree stand. long distance runners get that peace when they are running, gardeners, painters , musicians get it too. i am not in it for the relics or the search or finding old stuff from the past. i am in it for the money. i dont collect coins unless you count the jar i throw them into. I started all that history stuff when i was in 8th grade and got my first unit. Now i got kids to feed and bills to pay. When i am out there swinging i want to hear money beeping at me. I see a ring for its weight and what the gold buyer would give me for it. The real joy i get is bringing home a gallon of milk and some food for the the kids that i bought with coins i dug out of the ground. My lunch at work is usually bought with clad i dug up the day before. MD'ing is like my 2nd job, everyday after work i hit the grass a running for a couple hours to resupply my pocket change. I know the feeling you get and all that. i got a friend that likes finding stuff besides coins. To me though it is about getting extra money that i normally would not have.