Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why is it always the last one dug that’s the biggy?

Ronstar

First off Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there……

jkline and I hit the AdLawn again today and the competition as usual was pins and needles. We started a bit before 9am and went different directions. Went quite awhile finding nothing but trash but then finally dug a 42S wheat so I text Jeff. Oh sure, he just found a 1920 WLH!!! Then I pulled another one of those copper cannon fuses and finally a clad dime. Ok, this sucks so the old lawn maybe is finally getting bare? I lost track of Jeff so moved over to the other side of the Ad Bldg. He comes around and shows me the ‘20 Walking Lady. Says he needs to get home so starts his way across the lawn, technically his last coin of the day I suppose.

I continue on in the area where we both found silvers earlier. Decided to try Boost Program on the F75 and began to notice it seems to hit harder on most everything. Dug a clad dime we both missed earlier (1965) grumble…. Then dug a gold colored ladies ring, I couldnt make out any hallmarks but it was pretty well caked in dirt too. Next up was a 1921S wheat near where I got the 42 Merc/46 Rosie stuck to each other and then a 56D wheat. Its getting pretty tiring so move over to where Jeff had his multiple silver finds a couple weeks back and get a strong quarter or a bit above signal and dug 11 pennies in two holes side by side. One 59 and the rest were 60-64s. Ok, done. Started to swing and walk towards the truck and just as I was thinking to shut it off and just go I get a solid 85-86 (half dollar) and start thinking probably more canslaw as thats happened several times here but this is pinpointing at 10-11” which is a bit deep for canslaw. I get a measured 9” down and hit clay. Garrett is buzzing telling me whatever it is is still just a little bit further. Well, up pops a larger size coin just locked into that clay solid and made quite the coin ball. What little bit of dirt that broke off I could see the letters/word “Columbia”. Oh sure, last coin for the day and some drug lord lost his good luck piece.

Get home and put everything into bowl with a splash of Dawn liquid and hot water. Go off and take a shower and come back. Excited to see if any of the jewelry is real and nope its all junk. Get the coins cleaned up and the Columbian is still caked but its coming off. I keep scrubbing with the toothbrush and I see “United States of America” on top and “Columbian Half Dollar” on the bottom. ??????????, ? Turn it to the obverse and now can see 1893 on the bottom and “Worlds Columbian Exposition Chicago” around the edge. It took a good minute to sink in that this was a coin, a US coin. I cant find it in the Redbook under Half Dollars so went on the net. Its a Commemorative coin so back to the RedBook and there it was, and it says the first Commemorative coin ever issued! I just stood there looking at it…… I almost passed on it as canslaw. Its always the last coin of the day as proven twice today.
Sorry for being long but its an event to remember and I learned about a coin I didnt know about!!!

Attachments

• B7855D25-C559-4A0F-B97B-BFD309FF085A.jpeg
    B7855D25-C559-4A0F-B97B-BFD309FF085A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 134
  • 6E0168DA-B7E1-47CC-8C3F-9A89A4C48874.jpeg
    6E0168DA-B7E1-47CC-8C3F-9A89A4C48874.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 136
  • A46245C7-400C-482D-AC4D-44486FCB1AA8.jpeg
    A46245C7-400C-482D-AC4D-44486FCB1AA8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
They are a neat coin!! Congratulations!!

Decided to try Boost Program on the F75 and began to notice it seems to hit harder on most everything
Excellent find with the commemorative coin!
I almost always run boost (BP). I've found the F75 likes a fast sweep in most modes, faster than I like to sweep, and that in BP it reacts better to a more easy sweep speed; that is also to my elbow's preference. F75 ergonomics are great, but my elbow says it is still possible to over do it.

Yes!! 90% silver!!! I’ve not run boost that much as manual indicates its more for lifting the coil a bit in higher grass etc. When I got the 21 wheat it sounded more like a higher hit but it wasnt and it sounded shallower than it actually was. It may be boost needs to be run more frequently now. Text a deputy friend here who runs an older Tesoro and he has one too (hasnt answered where he found his). Still sitting here a bit shocked….

That's an incredible find! Huge congrats to you.

Nice find I found the Ct one with the charter Oak on it neat finds!
Mark

I cant find any guidelines on how one would generically grade this (RedBook has general guidelines on the basic steps). Hairlines, jaw features, eyes, etc on front in very good shape. Ship details, and the lat/lon lines on the two hemispheres are visible. Does anyone have a resource for this?

Attachments

• CC51ED93-F254-4824-95B4-0704D57959B8.jpeg
    CC51ED93-F254-4824-95B4-0704D57959B8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • 6B441A36-1239-4EAE-A31A-B6FF5E37F20C.jpeg
    6B441A36-1239-4EAE-A31A-B6FF5E37F20C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64
I should have said RedBook has NO guidelines on how to grade this coin. Im taking the 1903 IH and this coin to a coin guy in a nearby city and see if in his opinion either are worth getting graded. Sometimes the old guy will state his opinion as being “between this and that” and then its my decision after that. These two coins appear to my layman’s eye to have probably been mint date or next year drops.
C’mon mint shape 1909 VLD or 1916D coins…..

That's a neat find. Rather unusual. One of my hunting buddies found one a few years ago and I remember him thinking it should have more value, being so different and all, then it had. Regardless, it is still an unusual find. Oh, I like boost a lot on the 75 and run it much more then de. HH jim tn

Coin expert in Spokane, WA looked at it and was quite impressed as to the details, but not anywhere near MS grade. Estimated value $25. I took the IH as well and it probably would make EF40 grade if “gang green” removed. He said use naval jelly and super light touch with Q tips until green removed. Nog sure about the jelly treatment personally so probably leave it alone. Estimated value $10