Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why Is Metal Detecting Addicting

Russ88

As I have come more acquainted on what is happening in my life from detecting, and what I read from different posts from other detectorists, I come to realize that Metal Detecting has various levels of addiction. For some it is a matter of getting out when they get can. For others it is how they can maneuver they schedule to make metal detecting happen as much as possible. Buying detectors is another matter. Most detectorists I notice have multiple detectors. I know of someone that has owned and tried 27 different detectors! (over a period years of course). Admittedly trying a new detector is exciting, but why is it a hobby that owning and trying more and more detectors become such a passion for some? How does this hobby effect a person's life to various degrees? I would like to know what others think about this. I am sure other readers would like to hear your responses as well. So please let us know!

As for me I try to get out about 2-4 times a week if I can. I own two detectors but I plan to sell one of them soon. But I am planning to buy a water detector down the road so I will be back to owning two. Usually I detect (to places very close by) on the average of about 45 minutes -1 1/2 hours per session. Sometimes longer when I detect with my buddy, or on a weekend I may do a two hour session.

Russ88

Yeahhhhhh.....welcome to DA (detectorists anonymous). It's a problem. Work gets in the way,the wife wants to talk to you,the kids wanna eat.....it's a bitch. If it's not pouring rain and I can dig a hole I go out EVERY DAY. Other people could only DREAM of being so lucky as to find a passion as great as this one. It boils down to two things for me. The excitement of DISCOVERY and the "indoor" work I do to heighten the chances of me finding OLD COINS. I am somewhat successful because I put in a lot of time. It's also a gamblers mentality..."the next one could be the big one!" And even if it is,we don't stop,treasure hunters NEVER stop. As Mel Fisher would say,"today's the day"! And some days it is....

I guess it is no different then any other hobby or passion. Golfers are buy and try many different clubs, fishermen have more then 1 fishing rods, hunters and gun people have more then.1 gun, I qualify on at least three of the above examples. I guess you a cannot have too many detectors, guns or fishing rods. Can I enjoy an afternoon fishing with a cane pole? Yes I can but I also enjoy using a spinning reel, casting reel or ultra light depending on what fishing I may be doing. Same with detectors I can enjoy an afternoon with the single tone Vaqeuro, but I also love using the Deus, Safari, CTX and MX Sport. If my hobbies became a financial or burden otherwise to my family then I could still enjoy any of them with a lot less equipment.

I think metal detecting is very relaxing. I love going out to detect forests and fields, lawns, schools, parks and paths etc. I'll have to be more careful about ticks and mosquitoes this year because of all the diseases they carry, but I'm not going to let that stop me from detecting. I like the exercise and usually loose some weight during the detecting season. I also like to compare finds with friends whenever we can get together. I've just got the E-Trac for now but would love to get a machine that I can use in the water. Perhaps the best reason to get out metal detecting as often as possible is because, with all the money I've invested in equipment, my wife would beat me if I didn't get out there and use it. :stretcher:

i was thinking the same thing.....its a rush, yet also relaxing as stated above, and interesting, i love history.....so its all those things that are so enjoyable all at once. when i got the etrac i fell in love with detecting again, and i spent so much time doing it that it contributed to my wife leaving me. after my divorce i have hardly detected at all, maybe 5 or 10 times in the last two years. thats irony for ya.

i just went out the other day for a while, wasnt even sure if the detector would turn on, but it worked perfectly and i had a wonderful relaxing time even though i didnt find anything. the "language" of the etrac was nice to hear again....it just came right back to me.

Who, Me, Addicted ?
All I can say is that I've been detecting for 30 years (once a week, usually Saturdays) and its always an adventure but mostly a way to decompress from the week
Everyone needs a distraction from the pressures of everyday life and metal detecting is great way to slip away, if even for a few hours. And let's not forget about
all the great memories we accumulate along the way. Happy hunting:)

Any one can can 'do-it' ....and if you're lucky...others think you're an 'Expert' (rather than a probable addict !)

For me, the best part is the smell of the grass,...... and what the next swing may bring.

Many happy hours in good company......being away from the rat-race

Some of my 'best' finds made me feel sad, especially those items which the original owner surely would have 'cherished'......Matt...

thats interesting that you say that, ive thought about that too.....even if not cherished, still disappointed.