Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why We Find So Little - Big Silver ?

E-Trac-Ohio

I always had the thought that because big silver is so easy to spot when it's dropped on the ground - that maybe ...
a large percentage of the half dollars and dollars that are found with metal detectors - could have been lost when there was snow on the ground ?

If you're talking about places that have been hunted a lot the big silver went pretty early. I started in 1971 and I didn't find a lot of older dimes but I found several walking liberty halfs.

I love ski resorts and sledding hills.

Rich (Utah)

Come to think of it - I've found all my half dollars except one on private property. The only oddball was a 64 Kennedy Half about 6" deep near a curb strip - this one was in a public park. I've found exactly zero in Colorado

Lodge Scent said:
sprchng said:
Also discing out VDIs 97 and up

Very good point Sprchng. Especially if you are using 18 kHz.

12khz as well , big mistake to simply hunt with a slightly quieter machine.
Clad halves and multiple quarters get left also.:thumbdown:

A combination of things.

Fewer minted

Larger,,,won't drop through as small a hole in pocket

When dropped,,,can be heard more easily,,also easier to see to find.

Elcheapo detectos will find decent depths

Sink rate due to footprint --- harder to get deep

Harder due to being thicker,,,when stepped on harder to get shoved in ground on edge

IDs higher than cans generally

Harder to mask vs smaller high conductor

Cannot be suspended as easily on average with blades of grass,,,due to weight,,,hence remaining suspended in on edge or near on edge position less likely,,,so less chance of on edge scenario when under surface of soil

Younger folks like kids, teenagers,,,more likely to have dime and or wuarter vs silver dollar or half.

Yes I agree with all of it. The larger ones were found years ago unless you are on private property and it was not hunted before.