Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why would I want to buy an old Explorer these days?

I had the Explorer SE and in my experience, it was every bit as deep as ANY detector today. Yes, it was heavy compared to the new lightweight designs used today on even the $250 models, but it still can rock the deep silver with the best.

I have owned the Equinox 800 & Deus 1 and 2. My main detector today is still my trusty E-Trac. I do have the X-Terra Pro I use for tot lots.

I had the Explorer SE and in my experience, it was every bit as deep as ANY detector today. Yes, it was heavy compared to the new lightweight designs used today on even the $250 models, but it still can rock the deep silver with the best.

I have owned the Equinox 800 & Deus 1 and 2. My main detector today is still my trusty E-Trac. I do have the X-Terra Pro I use for tot lots.
I use my Tesoros in totlots.
Though playing around with my Legend in the front yard. I swung over the galvanized rebared concrete driveway.
And didn't hear a sound.

I feel the Explorers and Etrac series are the best detectors ever made.
A simple upgrade to a unit half the original weight and a little tweaking on recovery speed.
I'd be a very happy camper.

I guess I'm a little let down by the 2D screen.
I wish they would have made it switchable like the the Explorer to full screen with wider definition.
At the least bigger with maybe a target ID at the top of screen. Not mostly target ID number and a small portion of the screen for the 2D.
I literally have to put my bifocals on to see the painting clearly. Same reason I didn't like the deus.
One of the best features of the Explorers to me.
Is the ability to completely blank the screen.
Scan say an earring and accepting it.
Then searching for just that target.
Came in handy numerous times over the years.
From what I've read and seen. The Manticore can possibly do the same. But the process is quite long and to this oll locked in brain. To difficult at this stage of my knowledge with it.
I don't like no matter how tight I make the shaft clamps. Bumping the coil it swivels sideways.
Then I have to keep straightening it.
That really is frustrating.
I'm thinking maybe a little sandpaper scuffing up the shafts. It may stay straight.
Sadly. I'm actually liking the Legend more at this point.
Yes I'm still hoping the oll magic is there in the Manticore.
I did use the Lear function on my ExpII, and it worked. Switching screens also helped big time for me.
What do you mean by a clean Exp II? They are all old and very used. Mine has a pixel or two not working and the shafts need tightening. I have different coils too, very versatile that machine, that isn’t the case with todays machines.
Tony in NJ

I did use the Lear function on my ExpII, and it worked. Switching screens also helped big time for me.
What do you mean by a clean Exp II? They are all old and very used. Mine has a pixel or two not working and the shafts need tightening. I have different coils too, very versatile that machine, that isn’t the case with todays machines.
Tony in NJ
I got lucky when I bought my Explorer used almost new with 4 coils.
I'm sure there's someone out there that has hardly used it. Or even closet new inherited by a family member who just wants money. I'm beyond patient.
It'll come to me eventually.
Or minelab will finally get off their butt and give us what we want.
A light weight upgraded Explorer 99. 😊

As far as loose shafts. I found a piece of Scotch tape at the end of the upper end of either shaft and at the lock point when extended tightened it up nicely. For the factory lower. A full wrap of scotch tape. Has held up for year's.
The new carbon shafts I've bought seem tight enough.
Don't overlap the tape or it will be to tight.
On one shaft. I had to keep triming pieces out.
Ended up with a half inch strip on the bottom.
And 1/4 inch slivers on the sides.
Trial and trim you'll get a nice fit.
Do throughly clean the shaft first.
First time I had a few pieces of sand under the Scotch tape causing it to bind.

Last edited:
I got lucky when I bought my Explorer used almost new with 4 coils.
I'm sure there's someone out there that has hardly used it. Or even closet new inherited by a family member who just wants money. I'm beyond patient.
It'll come to me eventually.
Or minelab will finally get off their butt and give us what we want.
A light weight upgraded Explorer 99. 😊

As far as loose shafts. I found a piece of Scotch tape at the end of the upper end of either shaft and at the lock point when extended tightened it up nicely. For the factory lower. A full wrap of scotch tape. Has held up for year's.
The new carbon shafts I've bought seem tight enough.
Don't overlap the tape or it will be to tight.
On one shaft. I had to keep triming pieces out.
Ended up with a half inch strip on the bottom.
And 1/4 inch slivers on the sides.
Trial and trim you'll get a nice fit.
Do throughly clean the shaft first.
First time I had a few pieces of sand under the Scotch tape causing it to bind.
I might just sand down the control box than dust it off and go out with it to find more gold chains…..Exp II is good and I should respect it instead of sell it
Tony NJ

I might just sand down the control box than dust it off and go out with it to find more gold chains…..Exp II is good and I should respect it instead of sell it
Tony NJ
Explorer 2 is a great machine.
I really don't believe the Etrac has much up on it.
Except waterproof.
Hopefully I'll find one sumday.

Oh boy saw this after getting back after being out for years due to medical.
So years ago I had the Explorer II. Hit spots I had already hit with my Tesoro's and 6000/Di Pro and pulled more finds of course.
Remember times I'd go out and swing the thing for hours and the arm let ya know it. At first I didn't like the flutey sound but got more used to it the more I used it.
Well being down due to medical I thought my detecting days were over and I just gave it and several other detectors away over the years. Only hung onto a few Tesoro's, F-75 and V3i.
Now recovered enough I can get back into the game - I can kick myself for letting the Explorer-II go - big mistake.
I should have kept it. Got some nice finds with it. I remember how my arm felt after hours swinging but remember how well it did for me.
Went with a local detector dealer once with it and worked behind him and was cleaning up after him. He was at times scratching his head but I knew he was working to fast and not overlapping with his coil and not keeping the coil flat on the swing - he was kind of hyper & excited and I had to keep telling him to slow down because I have to keep digging targets he miss and was leaving me further behind. Those were the days when I could go for hours nearly all day just detecting.
If I come across another I'd be tempted...