Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why would I want to buy an old Explorer these days?

Sven

With all the new modern digital screen ID, multi-fuction, endless adjustment features that are hyped up as the greatest machines yet.

The closest I have gotten to owning such like detector was a Minelab Sov. XS and Elite about 20 years ago. Didn't keep them long.

Dude, you asked this question on the NOX forum but no matter.

Just think a minute - you can buy a top of the line detector for a small price these days.
That technology is Terrific it just takes a little patience to learn what to adjust and what the sounds are telling you.

Tony

OOPS, no wonder why I couldn't find my post to check for replies. So I reposted a duplicate.

Why would I want to buy an old Explorer these days?”

Because you can find coins most other detectorists miss once you master the machine.
Newer machines doesn’t always equate to better machines!

In a nutshell I'd sooner run a explorer and come home with a pouch full of coins instead of a pouch full of junk..The newer machines just have the most worthless feedback information as to what's in the ground when compared to the explorers.. I guess if you don't mind digging junk you'll never know.lol

With all the new modern digital screen ID, multi-fuction, endless adjustment features that are hyped up as the greatest machines yet.

The closest I have gotten to owning such like detector was a Minelab Sov. XS and Elite about 20 years ago. Didn't keep them long.
I believe their still the best detector out there

Gotta remember, just because something new is out, doesn't make it better, kinda like cars, manufactures don't want you to get to attached, they always want you to buy buy buy. Hard to beat FBS tech. Had several Explorers, Safari, Ive also owned my share of Fisher, Garrett, White's machine, but have to say, I spend more time digging then swinging with any one of the explorers I've owned or my current E-trac then all the other machines. Don't get me wrong, plenty of good MD's out there, everyone's area, soil, needs are different, but the FBS machines never seem to disappoint.
There's some old timers out there that put some expensive machines to shame with an old Explorer, once you learn that machine, hard to let one go.

It's a silverkiller and the tones are very distinct. Once you get a little experience with the "Smartfind " feature , you will probably find it gives more clues than the numbers do . I also like my Nox 600 and use it a lot but I will keep using my Explorer SE until it or I bite the dust . If it does I will sell the accessories and stay with the Nox and my Whites M6 . These three detectors are my all time favorites .

I agree with coin pirate and dirt doctor, the Explorer is killer with its tones and screens.
I miss them plenty. I haven’t sold it or the coils and man it does have plenty of coils to buy for it.
My problem is hearing those tones. My hearing is a problem.
Tony

i would not swap my explorer 2 for any of the new machines you cant beat the explorer
I suppose you’re a field person being that you live in UK. Exp II with large coil goes deep For sure. Hurt my arm after about ten years with it. The sounds were terrific, high pitch worbble sound for deep silver was awesome but my hearing changed and I couldn’t hear that any longer. Get a swing strap and best of luck to you.
Tony

I suppose you’re a field person being that you live in UK. Exp II with large coil goes deep For sure. Hurt my arm after about ten years with it. The sounds were terrific, high pitch worbble sound for deep silver was awesome but my hearing changed and I couldn’t hear that any longer. Get a swing strap and best of luck to you.
Tony
i live on the coast only hunt on beaches i bought a ten pound strimmer harness off of amazon takes care of the weight problem a im now in my 60s lol

Love the Explorers. My oll xs is still going.
Would love to find a nice Explorer 2.
I just picked up a Coiltek 6" coil
Hopefully that'll cut the weight a bit.
Deepest machine I've ever run next to my Sovereign GT. I picked up the Legend which I'm really liking.
And the Manticore hoping the magic is still there.
Though so far it's not doing what the oll Explorer does.

Love the Explorers. My oll xs is still going.
Would love to find a nice Explorer 2.
I just picked up a Coiltek 6" coil
Hopefully that'll cut the weight a bit.
Deepest machine I've ever run next to my Sovereign GT. I picked up the Legend which I'm really liking.
And the Manticore hoping the magic is still there.
Though so far it's not doing what the oll Explorer does.
What is the Explorer doing that the manticore can’t?

Break my arm. 😃
Actually I couldn't say.
Had a few weeks now.
Due to recovering from ripping out both shoulders.
Can only piddle around in the yard over known targets. Much to learn I must.

I guess I'm a little let down by the 2D screen.
I wish they would have made it switchable like the the Explorer to full screen with wider definition.
At the least bigger with maybe a target ID at the top of screen. Not mostly target ID number and a small portion of the screen for the 2D.
I literally have to put my bifocals on to see the painting clearly. Same reason I didn't like the deus.
One of the best features of the Explorers to me.
Is the ability to completely blank the screen.
Scan say an earring and accepting it.
Then searching for just that target.
Came in handy numerous times over the years.
From what I've read and seen. The Manticore can possibly do the same. But the process is quite long and to this oll locked in brain. To difficult at this stage of my knowledge with it.
I don't like no matter how tight I make the shaft clamps. Bumping the coil it swivels sideways.
Then I have to keep straightening it.
That really is frustrating.
I'm thinking maybe a little sandpaper scuffing up the shafts. It may stay straight.
Sadly. I'm actually liking the Legend more at this point.
Yes I'm still hoping the oll magic is there in the Manticore.

I guess I'm a little let down by the 2D screen.
I wish they would have made it switchable like the the Explorer to full screen with wider definition.
At the least bigger with maybe a target ID at the top of screen. Not mostly target ID number and a small portion of the screen for the 2D.
I literally have to put my bifocals on to see the painting clearly. Same reason I didn't like the deus.
One of the best features of the Explorers to me.
Is the ability to completely blank the screen.
Scan say an earring and accepting it.
Then searching for just that target.
Came in handy numerous times over the years.
From what I've read and seen. The Manticore can possibly do the same. But the process is quite long and to this oll locked in brain. To difficult at this stage of my knowledge with it.
I don't like no matter how tight I make the shaft clamps. Bumping the coil it swivels sideways.
Then I have to keep straightening it.
That really is frustrating.
I'm thinking maybe a little sandpaper scuffing up the shafts. It may stay straight.
Sadly. I'm actually liking the Legend more at this point.
Yes I'm still hoping the oll magic is there in the Manticore.
"I don't like no matter how tight I make the shaft clamps. Bumping the coil it swivels sideways.
Then I have to keep straightening it."

Try extending the mid rod all the way, and then the lower rod to your preference. I had that problem and it fixed mine. It has to be the smaller lower rod turning and the shorter it is, the less torque it has when swinging. The upper won't slip first.