Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wi-Stream vs Bluetooth

IDXMonster

In the interest of clearing confusion about the 2, both Equinox models are set up to run Wi-Stream, which is Minelabs proprietary audio transmission system which NO other manufacturer has or makes stuff for, and Bluetooth AptX, which is very common... and headphones, transmitters and parts can be bought about anywhere. Many people ask, “Why all the hoopla? Why would I need the WM-08 then?” It comes down to precision and length of audio lag, or “latency”. What is “latency”? Well...the word “late” is right in the word “latency”, so yes, it refers to how much delay there is from the time the audio circuit produces a sound to the time it reaches your ears. In today’s hunting conditions with areas cluttered with trash to co-located ferrous/non-ferrous, the SPEED of the transmission can make a world of difference. The virtually instantaneous transmission provided by Wi-Stream is of great value to the hunter who wants ALL events regarding the audio to be presented in real time, and this is as good as it gets....and presumably the reason that Minelab developed it in the first place. For those who don’t know(or just have time to blow), the principle physicist behind the Minelab brand was an audio engineer for a long time before getting into metal detection equipment. I’m sure that even though he might not have had a direct hand in the development of Wi-Stream, his research and notes are likely still “in house” for the current engineers to make use of.
For those who want the fastest wireless audio available on their Equinox, the WM-08 is needed. If you are willing to deal with slightly less speed, Bluetooth AptX works well. And both models do indeed support the use of either one.

Good simple explanation - thanks.

I tried the Bluetooth AptX but the lag was really noticeable compared to WM-08. This meant where i 'heard' a target, it was really located slightly behind that point.

Good hunting all

I NEVER use the 800 without the module...used the Bluetooth for the longest until I really compared the 2....

calabash digger said:
I NEVER use the 800 without the module...used the Bluetooth for the longest until I really compared the 2....
X2
The worst part of the roll out was not having an adaptor available up front JMO
HH Jeff

Yep, me too

IDX, Good write up, thanks for starting this discussion.

So is that is the reason for more scratched coins because you are missing that little bit of information? I think so.

Tony

BigTony said:
IDX, Good write up, thanks for starting this discussion.

So is that is the reason for more scratched coins because you are missing that little bit of information? I think so.

Tony

No, its not. The micro-second delay isnt causing pinpoint problems. The EQX just seems to be extremely sensitive to the pinpointing shift effects of angled coins. Its a problem for all DD designed coils.

Jason, I get that -

What do you suggest one do so they don't scratch coins?

Tony

dig wider plugs and use a pinpointer. I typically cut about a 6 inch plug after pinpointing. Most of the time, the target is in the plug, but especially in heavily hunted spots, the angled coins are all that are left. I still dig many coins from the sidewall, and that just wouldnt be possible without a pinpointer probe.

I would add that the faster the Recovery speed, the more the difference in between the two platforms may be noticed. And Tony...since I am always hunting DEEP coins, my plugs tend to be in the 8” wide range, and I never use the pinpoint function on any machine, except the CTX when I want to size something or check the shape. All other times I use the “wiggle back” scheme.

I noticed on the Minelab web site https://www.minelab.com/usa/knowledge-base/key-technologies
it stated that Wi-Stream is < 10 ms lag time. Pretty swift.