Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will a Vaquero pick up a mediorite better than my Ace 250?

Dimesworth

As some of you already know, I live here in the North country - Minnesota. The only thing that I can hunt in the winter are mediorites; I obtain permission to hunt farmers rockpiles. The Ace 250 is carried in my old jeep almost all winter because I feel it is my least expensive detector. Maybe I'm screwing up. Might be missing some mediorites - what do you people think?

I know the Vaquero is deeper and has Ground Balance. Not sure about the Ace 250. So you might be missing a few deep ones.

I realize the 250 is preset but the soil here in Minnesota is pretty mild. I noticed on one occurance where the 250 nulled out in the middle of a couple of rocks. The machine was set on jewlery - most of the time it is set on all metal but the key probably got bumped. After I changed it, I didn't get any sound. I noticed that I spelled meteorite with a "d" after I had posted. Oh well, that's what happens when you only have a sixth grade education. Anyway, I carried one of those rocks back to my jeep about a mile away. Got home and tried my other detectors on it and got what the little boy shot at - nothing. Sometimes I tear the rock piles down and sometimes I don't. But you're right Desert Rat, the Vaquero is deeper and I'm thinking I could probably pick something up in the small piles with out the work of tearing them apart. Thanks guys for your time- it probably wasn't a very bright question. Dimesworth. P.S. Haven't found any meteorites yet but I keep trying. I think rockpiles might be a good place to look.

Hi Dimesworth I don't know a thing about metiorites, I just wanted to tell ya how much I enjoy reading your posts. Just because you only have a 6th. grade education don't cut yourself short - my Grandfather had about the same education & although he didn't know how to read & write so well, he was one of the smartest people that I ever knew. I always say that there are "booksmart" people and that there are "lifesmart" people. And there is no such thing as a dumb question either. HH! Steve.

6th grade...
Yup.

That's the way it goes here on the internet.

You just never know.

Probably spent 6yrs in post graduate school to learn a 'couple extra things' before presenting a post-doctoral thesis on propagation of sub-atomic particle waves emanating from a linear accelerator.:biggrin:

...While we're at school, I think it might be a good idea to take the metal detectors in question over to their lab and ask to try them out on the kind of meteorites you hope to find. Good idea searching the rockpiles! no need for lots of depth, there... and someone already did the digging!

Maybe I'll take that back... I once spent half a day walking alongside a stoneboat tossing rocks in it. Wasn't much fun to start, and was definitely a sore task after only 4 hours!

Good luck at finding meteorites... that would be fun.:cheers:
rmptr

Howdy, rmptr. I was trying to find out your real name on your post but failed. Will have to have my grandaughter show me how to do that when she get back from the East coast. But I know one thing; if that's your picture on the post, then you're a dead ringer for Zorro. Used to ride with him back in the old days - just kidding. I want to thank you for all the super hype you said about me in your post. Actually, I did finish high school and pushed a few months at the local junior college so that I could survey and shoot grades for my father who was in the field tiling trade.
As I gaze out the window it's snowing here in Minnesota again. Was starting to melt off pretty good, and now this. I would rather be out testing my new Tesoro that I purchased a couple of weeks ago, but I like talking to you guys and gals too. Well, thanks for all the flattery and hang in there. Remember, "Keep your horses tail up, your gun powder dry, and never squat with your suspenders on". I stole that from somebody, can't remember who. Dimesworth

Hello Dime,

Well, it's short for my given indian name... Recovers Many Pull Tab Relics...:biggrin:

Naw, it's not MY picture... I was the one who always had to hold the camera while El Zorro got to do the fun stuff.
And he wouldn't even give me any speaking lines!:sad:

Aha! A rod & chain man....
The Tabdog has also surveyed all that appeared before him... now he's diggin all the good stuff up!

He got a fine sample of leaverite that he posted here a while back.:clapping:
I think I'd rather go after the meteorites...

HH

IMO:

The Education system is a joke these days. People/Companies rely too much on what people know from a book and what the Degree is, not knowing anything about the person, and how they really are. Being the Director of Engineering for a software company, I always looked for traits other than book smarts and then teach them what they wanted to learn. I find that it make a better more family like work environment.

My grandfather only had a 8th grade education and basically became a mechanical engineer without the title. My mother dropped out in '62 to have me and ended up working for the Federal Government. And retired with a very good pay scale.

Its not what you know, but where you are your heart want to go. Dimeswork, don't cut your self short and hold your head high :)

I have an iron / nickel meteorite that weighs 1.64 Grams, or 25.2 Grains. It is triangular with the flats about 1/4 inch. Neither my ACE 250 (stock coil) OR GTP 1350 (also stock coil) will pick it up. I also have a Master Hunter 5 that is about 20 years old, and a Tesoro Tiger Shark, the Garrett will pick it up with the 8" coil at 3", and the Tiger with the 8" coil 4". BTW neither of thease will pick it up unless they are in all metal. Set them for disc, and dial in zero, and you get NOTHING....
Joe

Dimesworth, I can't see why the 250 won't find metallic meteorites OK
as long as your mode is all metal. Any discrimination will not see them.
Remember that most meteorites are carbonaceous chondrites, or
carbon containing stoney types with usually no metals, though some
can also have metal within (usually iron). But you still must use all
metal mode, with any detector. I agree too, that those rockpiles could
lead to some good finds. I'd say that you perhaps should use as big a
coil that's available, depending on the rockpile's depth.
Good Luck!
..W

Dimesworth, I can't see why the 250 won't find metallic meteorites OK
as long as your mode is all metal. Any discrimination will not see them.
Remember that most meteorites are carbonaceous chondrites, or
carbon containing stoney types with usually no metals, though some
can also have metal within (usually iron). But you still must use all
metal mode, with any detector. I agree too, that those rockpiles could
lead to some good finds. I'd say that you perhaps should use as big a
coil that's available, depending on the rockpile's depth.
Good Luck!
..W