Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will I Get Thrown In San Quentin Prison..??

fastdraw

I have "Official" legal documentation, that says I can Metal Detect San Francisco Golden Gate Park..!! It comprises of 1017 Acres that goes back to the 1840's. It very near my sister's house.... which is about a four-hour drive. The Problem is.... I'm not allowed to DIG..!! It's just surface hunting. I just keep thinking of the hippie rings, and bracelets, and necklaces of silver and gold of the 1960s and 70s. Plus the old coins of the mid to late 1800's. Here's the question... What would you do..??? Do I hide my digging tool under my Trench Coat.. ?? I don't want to look like a weirdo..!!

Last edited:
I have "Official" legal documentation, that says I can Metal Detect San Francisco Golden Gate Park..!! It comprises of 1017 Acres that goes back to the 1840's. It very near my sister's house.... which is about a four-hour drive. The Problem is.... I'm not allowed to DIG..!! It's just surface hunting. I just keep thinking of the hippie rings, and bracelets, and necklaces of silver and gold of the 1960s and 70s. Plus the old coins of the mid to late 1800's. Here's the question... What would you do..??? Do I hide my digging tool under my Trench Coat.. ?? I don't want to look like a weirdo..!!

I haven't the FOGGIEST idea! :rofl: Good luck with God's blessings by doing all things LEGALLY! Ma

My thought is if you have to spend half your time looking over your shoulder, to me it’s not worth the risk.
I’m sure you are not the only person that has thought about detecting there.
Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

The first big hurdle is obtaining permission and you received it.
Second, it clearly states in the regulations no digging - follow the rules and don’t possess any digger on your person.
There may be no digging so how about “scraping” the surface ? 🤭
A set of good hiking or work boots could scrape a couple of inches off the surface 🤣
In all seriousness that wouldn’t even be fun to detect with those rules. It’s only going to take one tree hugger to call the park ranger / police.
Should you decide to go I hope you find surface treasures!!

I have hunted a few places that said the same thing. You can detect, but don't dig. Hunted the same places for over 40 years. Enforcement saw me and others doing this, but nobody ever bothered me. But, if a cop or ranger happens to be an "anus", they could make trouble for you.

Second, it clearly states in the regulations no digging - follow the rules and don’t possess any digger on your person.
A set of good hiking or work boots could scrape a couple of inches off the surface 🤣
In all seriousness that wouldn’t even be fun to detect with those rules. It’s only going to take one tree hugger to call the park ranger / police.
Should you decide to go I hope you find surface treasures!!
Earthlypotluck, I think I like your advice the best, and I knew somebody out there would think of an alternative that would allow me to scrape down an inch or so. Good thinking.!!

Sounds like a good time to master the “probe” method of target retrieval. A simple flat head screw driver will do the trick. Would be no different than a squirrel going for a nut! 🤣 better yet, how about a drill with one of those spade bits!!

Reactions: tvr
It says you can't dig ... can you use a screw drive to pop things up? It is a time tested technique for use in areas where you don't want to cut plugs in good grass.

Ah ... I should know by now to finish reading all posts first. IowaRelic beat me to it! Except those drill things can leave sizable holes and I would not recommend that.

It says you can't dig ... can you use a screw drive to pop things up? It is a time tested technique for use in areas where you don't want to cut plugs in good grass.

Ah ... I should know by now to finish reading all posts first. IowaRelic beat me to it! Except those drill things can leave sizable holes and I would not recommend that.
Not only would the mini drill auger be a bad idea, you may have a holed coin or two before it’s said and done!

Maybe a flat tip screwdriver is something you could get away with using -only use it if you get strong signal with pinpointer so you know it’s just below the surface and can be popped out without digging. ???

Wow,.!! I had no idea my my Post about getting "written" permission to Metal Detecting 1017 acres in San Francisco Golden Gate Park would create such a fuss. So let me clarify..!! My permission is surface hunting only, and no digging. I'm 60 years old and have no intention, of digging... and I will have NO digging tool on me. But I think earthlypotluck gave me the option I was looking for. With a good pair of boots, under the trees... I can Kick some good dirt..! I won't make the trip till next month... But I'll keep everyone posted. But if the Heavy Fog rolls in that morning.... Who knows.? 😉

We have the same law/rule here in my community. "Metal detecting is o k, but no digging allowed....and if you do recover anything of value it must be turned into the city." The last sentence is a quote from one of our Park Rangers. Oh, and coin popping with a screw driver is considered digging.

We have nothing like Golden Gate Park, however, and enforcement is not a strict compliance law. Good luck, whatever you decide. HH Jim tn

Wow,.!! I had no idea my my Post about getting "written" permission to Metal Detecting 1017 acres in San Francisco Golden Gate Park would create such a fuss. So let me clarify..!! My permission is surface hunting only, and no digging. I'm 60 years old and have no intention, of digging... and I will have NO digging tool on me. But I think earthlypotluck gave me the option I was looking for. With a good pair of boots, under the trees... I can Kick some good dirt..! I won't make the trip till next month... But I'll keep everyone posted. But if the Heavy Fog rolls in that morning.... Who knows.? 😉
Take a dog with you ,, let the dog do the digging,, bailing the dog out of the pokey will be cheaper than bailing yourself out.
I had a little dog once ,, as soon as I went to start digging,, she'd jump in there and dig like crazy.

Should you decide to go I hope you find surface treasures

Take a dog with you ,, let the dog do the digging,, bailing the dog out of the pokey will be cheaper than bailing yourself out.
I had a little dog once ,, as soon as I went to start digging,, she'd jump in there and dig like crazy.
Everytime I was out detecting & a friendly dog was around they joined in the digging. One little, very friendly dog laid in the hole with her feet in the air & wiggling & wouldn't get up & move, so I rubbed her belly, gave a quick kiss on her nose & I did the moving TO another area! Luckily she didn't follow, as I told her to go home--I guess she did! :D Ma

My thought is if you have to spend half your time looking over your shoulder, to me it’s not worth the risk.
I’m sure you are not the only person that has thought about detecting there.
Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

They probably have & left big, messy holes which has closed parks & etc all over the USA to MD'ing & also when GOV workers wanted areas to detect for themselves were forbidden others to do any detecting--Selfishnessof wanting all finds --the GOV LEADERS closed whatever they wanted & kept the finds for Gov museums or for their own treasure chests in their own homes or sold for MONEY! JEALOUSY brings GREEDINES that is SIN to anyone who loves Money, THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL! :sick2: Ma

They probably have & left big, messy holes which has closed parks & etc all over the USA to MD'ing & also when GOV workers wanted areas to detect for themselves were forbidden others to do any detecting--Selfishnessof wanting all finds --the GOV LEADERS closed whatever they wanted & kept the finds for Gov museums or for their own treasure chests in their own homes or sold for MONEY! JEALOUSY brings GREEDINES that is SIN to anyone who loves Money, THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL! :sick2: Ma
You could very well be correct about people making a mess and causing this park to be forbidden to digging for targets.
I enjoy finding things along with everyone else, but it is sometimes enjoyable to get out and have a relaxing hunt even if I am just looking for some clad for a short hunt.
If I have to worry about someone giving me a ticket while I am detecting, to me it is not worth the trouble.
I have a park that I can leagally detect and have found quite a few old coins, but it has become a focal point for racism because of a confederate statue there.
Even though I can detect there, I feel it was time to move on rather than get mixed up in all that chaos.
And yes, we have had people call the law on us, but nothing happened after we talked with the officer that responded.
He actually told my buddy and I they would rather see us there than some of the folks that hang around the park.
To me it is just not with the hassle... I can find other places to detect that are more enjoyable and not have to put up with the crap that many of us have had to while detecting.