Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will lithium battery freeze while being shipped?

ronhob

Just came to mind that this time of year may not have been the best time to have detector shipped. We are experiencing very frigged temps here in the mid-west. Tomorrow's wind chill is -50 to -60. Reg temp around -30 for low. I am not sure how this will affect lithium batteries in Nox package. Not sure when to expect delivery, because tracking has not available yet. Dealer was talking about Thursday delivery, but I don't see that happening since it has yet to be picked up by ups. Kinda hoping for a lengthier delivery now. Any one know for sure how cold affects them?

Well, it's kind of a good new, bad news kind of answer:

Bad news: You should definitely avoid freezing lithium-ion batteries.

Good news: Lithium-ion chemistry doesn't start to freeze until about 40 below zero....actual temp.
(Which coincidentally, -40 is exactly the same for Celsius of Fahrenheit)

You're probably OK.
:)
mike

Edit:
I would worry more about the thermal shock of opening a frozen package.
Whenever I get electronic gear that has been shipped in harsh freezing temps, I allow it to warm up (slowly) in the box/package before I open it.
My intention is to prevent the harsh thermal shock of direct exposure to a near 100 degree temperature change.

ronhob,

Neither you or the Equinox should be out in these temps. :wacko: You might freeze more than just a battery.

Rich -

The wind chill is how cold it feels on your skin. It is a calculation of wind and temperature. Wind chill will have no effect on a boxed package or the contents of that package. Your NOX will be fine. Actually a whole lot better than you would be out wandering in those cold temperatures.

Check the manual for temp limits. MOST batteries are far more likely to freeze if they arent fully charged..... i believe lith is good to -40C. But like most batteries......anything below 0 and you start loosing battery capacity. Cold like heat can affect how long your battery lasts.

dewcon4414 said:
Check the manual for temp limits. MOST batteries are far more likely to freeze if they arent fully charged..... i believe lith is good to -40C. But like most batteries......anything below 0 and you start loosing battery capacity. Cold like heat can affect how long your battery lasts.

Does the equinox come with battery charged?

Don't know where you are located but here in NE Iowa I have -29 right now and a windchill of -56!! Stay safe!

Check out : https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

The Battery University has answers to almost any question you could ask about cells and batteries.

-40 to 122 degrees F at 40% charge for storage temperatures.

Leave the box unopened in your house for a day. Let it come up to "comfortable" temp slow You aren't going to be using in these temps anyway. I would worry more about the LCD than the battery, but putting a freezing cold item into a warm environment is a perfect recipe for condensation.

Ted S said:
Don't know where you are located but here in NE Iowa I have -29 right now and a windchill of -56!! Stay safe!

SE south Dakota= -26 on outside thermometer this morning and a windchill of -47. Going to be a high of -10 they say!
*All the windows in my house have ice built up on the inside glass. Many businesses and all schools in the local area are shut down for the day. I opted to stay home as well!
The weekend is going to swing back into the 40's. What a shift!

Thanks for all the replies. I feel much more at ease about it now. Sounds like the Nox just shipped and will not be here til Monday now, so it should miss most of the extreme weather. Good to know that lithium is good to -40. Shouldn't ever have to worry about that temp. I always try to keep my equipment from any extreme heat or cold if at all possible.

Wow! you guys are freezing cold it's a balmy 32 here in Ct I'm going back to the beach today! I leave mine in the car a lot near ) and it's been fine.

From shipping to you it wont be as cold as the temp outside is as it will be in some post office or trucks getting here. Now for those that leave any
electrical
equipment or detectors outside or in your car if it is cold outside should let them warm up indoors before ever turning them on. when warming up there will be condensation which can and will short out circuits as moister is the worst things for anything electronic .

Here in the east central ND it was -36 this morning when we opened up our cafe for coffee.

Rick

Yes it does..... i believe it also said about how long it would take. But i thought id answer his question.