Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will they ever waterproof the 5x10!?

Pyledriver

I had a 705 many moons ago that I sold when the AT Pro came out. Now, a few years later I'm considering adding back a 705. However the one thing that bugged me most has not been changed-the non waterproof 5x10! Any rumors or news that this might be remedied?

Pyledriver said:
Any rumors or news that this might be remedied?
Not that I've heard.
There are still three HF coils that are waterproof for those that require it, so the need to change one really doesn't exist.

Personally....that coil is at the bottom of my list of coils to own. It really is best suited to the purpose it was originally intended for, which is prospecting, and even then the 6" HF is more sensitive.

Sounds like our purposes differ, as well as adventures. That was my favorite coil and when I did hunt coins (rarely), it worked pretty well. The problem for me is that the 6" coil is too small for a very specific purpose that I have, where the 5x10 would work well. The larger coils would not do well in such high trash! Oh well, I like the 705 for many reasons, but I guess it's still not really going to suit my style. Thanks for the info!

I'd like to know what your "style" or "purpose" is, and what makes the 5x10" HF your preferred coil?
It really can't separate any better than any other 10" (or 10.5") coil, and it's not significantly capable of depth greater than that of a 6" coil.

FWIW, there are things that can be done to make the 5x10" virtually waterproof. Strategically applied silicone or spray on sealant (even bedliner) can be used to allow it to be submerged to any depth that you can achieve w/o dunking the control box.

Well I was looking for a reason to want an Xterra again, even though I just had the overwhelming 'been there done that' attitude about it. No real fault of the machine, it just never felt like 'the one'. It would work for what I do, but I haven't actually missed it. I was considering it again because I had the 'new machine itch' but at the same knew I wanted a better machine. Shortly after starting this thread I picked up an Explorer for a screamin deal and am really liking it so far-enough that it's already reached 'keeper' status!

As to my type of hunting, I'm a cache hunter mostly, followed by gold, then coins and relics. I have an AT for freshwater hunting, the Explorer takes the generalist role, an SD for prospecting, a two-box for big stuff, and am waffling between just buying a CTX and retiring all but the PI, or getting an Excal for fresh and salt. So I don't really have a style so to speak, I just detect to find valuable stuff to pay for more adventures.

Good enough. You're an all-around detector with several machines.
I'm much the same, with a 1280X (I only do freshwater), and Explorer SE, and my go to 705. IMO, there's enough good yet different about V-Flex and FBS that I like having both. Someday (maybe this year) I'll pickup a CTX and may off the Explorer, but I'm going to keep my 705 'til one of us dies unless Minelab comes out with an even more advanced Xterra.

Yeah, if I had the money I'd have way more machines! I would still like to try Gerry's gold ring hunting method with a 705. If it works it would be unstoppable! I'm already working on a program for my SE..lol.

I don't understand why Minelab doesn't waterproof their coils. Enough product users (customers) have asked for waterproofed coils. It seems as if Minelab's product development team went home on Friday and never completed the job on Monday when they returned to work. If all of my coils were waterproof, not just splash resistant, it would certainly minimize my chances of damaging or ruining an expensive coil by submerging it in water.

I too use the 5x10 coil and it seems to be the only one that performs well in high mineralized dirt, i have used two other coils including the 6" coil and both have a lot of problem in this soil. Mostly while using these coils the numbers won't settle down even if i go super slow, depth is excellent even at 8 to 10" i have pulled 6 Gold rings this your out of parks and countless other items. It may not work for everyone but does well for me.