Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will this NEW equinox kill the X-terra series, or even the CTX series?

JBM1 said:
I attended the Detectorist 17 Rally and it was a brilliant event held over 3 days.

Minelab went overboard on this event, which organised to raise money for 2 charities.

All the manufacturers attending seemed to do well especially the Quest team.

XP were very busy as were all their agents.

The new Minelab shows promise, but those with the cash on the day were disappointed to hear there will be a 3 month wait.

Minelab freebies were handed out like there is no tomorrow.

Over 500 finds some going back 2000 years were registered using current varied detectors in daily use.

I think there were more XP Deus machines than any one other model in use at the dig.

Time will tell where the new Equinox is heading but it shows promise.

Personally I did not like the heavy cable wrapped around the shaft.

It would have been better to hide it within the shaft or to go completely wireless.

As I appeared to be oldest detectorist at the dig at 83 I have seen many changes since the 1970`s.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring if Rocket Man doesnt ruin things for us all.

Happy Hunting,,.

Jerry.

Jerry , This new machine is going to rock XP i think . Minelab will make a lot of dosh with this one.

It cant have wireless as XP have patented the tech i think .
As for the cable , run it up the side of the stem and tape it to the stem then wrap last bit at the top under the box.
Its not a CTX / ET and the price was going to dictate the design .
What happens for their next machine is anybodies guess but the Safari and ET will be next for replacement, this one is the replacement for the Terra's no doubt. But what a replacement !
I cant wait to get mine.

JBM1 said:

It would have been better to hide it within the shaft or to go completely wireless.

Jerry.

Really? The internal coil cable is a pain in the ass! Every time you want to swap coils you have to fish cables up the rods, and taking things apart just to connect/disconnect. It was the one aspect I didnt like about the E-Trac and CTX

Really? The internal coil cable is a pain in the ass! Every time you want to swap coils you have to fish cables up the rods, and taking things apart just to connect/disconnect. It was the one aspect I didnt like about the E-Trac and CTX[/quote]

this is where the equinox is going to shine. By the looks of it you're going to be able to purchase a high dollar detector that isn't going to fry your brain trying to figure out how to use it. You get Minelab's legendary technology in a simple easy to use form (if the video's are to be believed). If this thing is as simple to use as it seems that alone will cut into the CTX market. For those that say you should get a V3i if you want multi-frequency think again as that machine has a steeper learning curve than the CTX. Simplicity is what most people want, then comes reliability. You can't use simplicity/reliability to describe the CTX.

Jason in Enid said:
JBM1 said:

Jerry.

Really? The internal coil cable is a pain in the ass! Every time you want to swap coils you have to fish cables up the rods, and taking things apart just to connect/disconnect. It was the one aspect I didnt like about the E-Trac and CTX

I like the cable on the inside also. I just get a second lower rod, attach my additional coil, and then just swap lower rods. I think this way is easier than undoing the coil every time you want to switch coils.

xwyokid said:
Sov. and a White's 6000

Hmmm....that's a pretty serious combo right there! Hopefully your next purchase will be a nice addition,but personally I can't say I'd be in any hurry to unload any of what you already have....good luck on what you decide,the Equinox does indeed grow on me more and more every time I look at it and the promise it may hold. But my CTX and Explorer2 have a permanent home here...regardless of any reviews. I already know what they do! Similar to your Sov and 6K...

[sub][/sub]
unearth said:
Jason in Enid said:
JBM1 said:

Jerry.

I like the cable on the inside also. I just get a second lower rod, attach my additional coil, and then just swap lower rods. I think this way is easier than undoing the coil every time you want to switch coils.

+1. Every coil has its own rod. Much easier!
As much as I love the X-TERRAs, I believe they are gonna go on the chopping block. The ET and CTX are safe...for now. I think this new platform will be a spring board for some new models in the near future...like a CTX 2 or some other new FBS unit.

Dean

Dent in the CTX sales? I guess an additional question needs to be asked, What percentage of CTX buyers made the purchase because it is Weather/Water Proof (3 meters) but didn't really need or use all of the fancy that went along with it? Provided the Equinox performs well, I think THOSE buyers will go with the less expensive Equinox rather than the CTX.

I think the bigger group however, is those, like myself, that have been waiting in the wings for a multi-frequency weather proof machine that is light weight and reasonably priced. There will always be some that move from one model to another for whatever reasons. I think the 'genius' here is Minelab recognizing that there is a group of people looking for a detector that hasn't been made yet and they've taken a swing at it. If the Equinox 800 performance is everything Minelab is alluding to, I think that they're going to have a walk off grand slam on this one.

So much depends on the performance of this new machine. Will the multi-IQ Equinox be a deep coin and silver slayer like the Etrac and CTX? Will is sort thru trash better than the current best? As a multipurpose machine, we've still not heard about it's gold nugget capabilities. Is Steve H out putting the Equinox thru its' paces in the gold fields? What about our mates down in Australia? Still more to come here.

As for the X-Terra, I am thinking like those who've already said that the Equinox appears to be Minelab's replacement for the X-Terra. Phase out the one, bring in the other.

I am wondering if this new design will move across the other Minelab coinshooting models. An Etrac in this configuration would be awesome. Is the battery/space sufficient to support a flyweight Etrac or would they need to add a battery compartment under the cuff?

Like I said, more to come here. We will wait and see.

Rich -

dbado1 said:
[sub][/sub]
unearth said:
Jason in Enid said:
JBM1 said:

Jerry.

+1. Every coil has its own rod. Much easier!
As much as I love the X-TERRAs, I believe they are gonna go on the chopping block. The ET and CTX are safe...for now. I think this new platform will be a spring board for some new models in the near future...like a CTX 2 or some other new FBS unit.

Dean

Its time for the Safari and ET to be replaced . They will be next i think ?

I also think that if i am right then i think Minelab have started to think that the CTX has been a failure and that may be replaced sooner than it would have been . Lets face it , it hasn't sold anywhere near as many units as the ET or older Explorer's going by the digs and rallies i have been too.
The weight of it must be the main factor , its the reason so many Deus are at digs . Usually 80% of all machines at UK digs are Deus or other XP machines with maybe 5% CTX . Thats a failure if i ever saw one..

A new lightweight ET like the Equinox will put that right but they need to give it single freq use too like the Equinox and dont give it a silly name , give it a proper name .
It might take some of the CTX sales but they all go to Minelab and sales are sales.
And keep the price down .

Im just looking at it differently that you dirt digger. As a salt water hunter i like the design...... its lighter, fast, muti freq, has a TID, right coil size, WATER PROOF, and a huge advantage getting the smaller gold in dry sand over the multi freqs used in the water. I see it as a simple but strong whites machine with a ML label. It may not get the depth of FBS but makes it up in the dry sand with sensitivity and Freqs. It wont replace the CTX as a dirt hunter..... but may get more of them out of the water. We asked for an upgraded Xcal..... and this machine as a wader to your neck seems to offer a lot of what we asked for. Cost of an Xcal with mods can be $1700...... this machine has a super price. As far as the coil cable..... i prefer it outside too the CTX swings like a 2X4 in the water with all that drag from the large shaft. Run it straight up along the shaft tape it off and put the excess just in front of the grip. Not heard any reviews from a water person....... why? What kind of warrant does it have, how is it charged..... i assume lith, and what kind of water connector is used?

Rick(ND) said:
I agree that it may be the end of the X-Terras, but not the E- Trac or the CTX as these are the upper end Minelabs where as the new Equinox is made to compete with some of the other mid price detectors.
I am planning on trying one out myself just to see what it can do and what it cant, but dont feel it will replace my Sovereign GT or any of the E-Trac or CTX as these are proven detectors.

Rick

I fully agree and whilst I may try one my GT does everything & more that I want it to .. not replaceable.

hummm...wonder if the price tag on the equinox was like $1700 ..would we think it would be up there with the E & the ctx?

Xterra is already in it's second generation, so far it looks like the Nox is an Xterra on a software level.

Minelab could easily add FBS, in fact I think it is FBS when the multi Freq is selected. (Or BBS or perhaps a new name, same idea except BBS has a lower highest Freq)

CTX will probably stay, as it has the 2D screen, in theory it could be a better silver machine, it depends on how much they cripple the Nox to prop up the CTX.

IMO BBS would work just as well as FBS on land. Multi frequency on the Nox will be similar, it's the lower Freqs that do all the heavy lifting with regards to silver hunting.

Honestly they could do with culling the lineup. 3 Xterras and 3 GoFinds is ridiculous, put your best foot forward.

This machine should replace the Etrac as well.
If this machine isn't as deep as the Etrac while using Multi Freq, Minelab will be skating on very thin ice, dare I say it would be a flop with the serious guys.

Nobody will buy a Nox over a Deus if the multifreq does not work as well as the traditional FBS/BBS machines, assuming money was not an option, why would you?

If they muck up the Multi Freq and miss the Deus market, I think it would still do OK in the sub $1000 category. Just it would be a shame because they have the ability to have a monster that would cover the $500 - $1500 detector range with one machine.

In fact, combining a Etrac with Xterra into another lightweight machine in 2017 would be very trivial. If this is not the case, someone should be fired, especially given all the "new tech" "obsolete other machines" talk.
Those of us who are reasonable are not screaming about the "new tech", we can read between the lines, that being said there is a certain expectation of performance here.

My understanding is that Minelab is run by a different company now, the last couple of machines came out while they were at the wheel. If they screw this one up too, it will sink the company.

-GoFinds are a joke, though a great concept, they just happen to be hard to use. Nice screen, nice buttons though.
-New Minelab looks at the classic Excalibur that was $1500 and good to 80 foot deep and comes out with a machine for $3000 grand that leaks at 2 foot. Nice screen and buttons though. I am not a CTX basher, though the price-to-leak ratio is not lost on me. Again great concept though.
-New Minelab cancels the Explorer XS and leaves you with either a Etrac that you can't read the screen, or the Safari that always leaves you wondering if the grass is greener. (It's not, Safari slams silver as good as the Etrac)

If this machine flops, the "old" Minelab as we know it will be gone, unless they keep afloat selling CTX and Excaliburs which were designed in the 1990s. Tesoro survives on old tech, but they are Mom n Pop compared to Minelab which is part of a bigger company. They will simply end Minelab or sell it if it becomes too much of a distraction to their bigger picture. They are not a consumer based business, they sell tech to other large business and organizations.

Interesting analysis. It is ironic that the ‘Nox’s likely first customers are the ML faithful - yet it is these experiences and committed users who - in many cases - feel their favorite and expensive machines somehow “threatened” by the Nox. Understandable enough.

With both technology and competition marching on, prices are falling and performance and usability are rising. The days of detectors selling for $1500 plus are probably gone unless some breakthrough combination of performance and target value happens. This is exactly what happened with ML’s GPZ 7000.

Minelab is not going to be on "thin ice".. The Equinox is not going to be "a flop".
I think the Equinox was brought out to complete with Deus, Impact and AT Max...
It will perform.

Minelab has stated the Equinox is "above the X-Terra series" and that the FBS and BBS will still have an advantage finding silver coins.
I think Minelab will probably come out with a high end Flagship in the next year or so that will be a lot like the Equinox but with
all the fancy pants bells and whistles of the CTX for the high end coin hunter.

Bryan

My two cents here is this, the Equinox series is designed to impact two competitors the Deus and the AT Pro/At Max. The light weight design, frequency adjustability fast recovery speed and has the ability to water hunt is going to have a huge impact on detectorist's around the world. I would like to see how it is in depth and how it reacts to salt water beaches before I decide which way I am going to go. The recovery speed for trashy areas has me tempted though....

underwatermetalman said:
My two cents here is this, the Equinox series is designed to impact two competitors the Deus and the AT Pro/At Max. The light weight design, frequency adjustability fast recovery speed and has the ability to water hunt is going to have a huge impact on detectorist's around the world. I would like to see how it is in depth and how it reacts to salt water beaches before I decide which way I am going to go. The recovery speed for trashy areas has me tempted though....[/quote

Its Minelab multi freq. It will work in salt water no doubt . Its not like the single freq machines of the competitors . The AT Max and Pro are best suited to fresh water hunting and might work in salt but will either need constant adjusting or loose depth.