Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WM08 Module - Worth It ?

UtahRich

Interested for input from those of you using regular headphones with the WM08 module rather than the ML80 headphones.

Thoughts on performance compared to the ML80 headphones ?

Where are you keeping the WM08 module on your person while detecting ?

What headphones are you using with the WM08 module ?

Rich (Utah)

Yes, I think it's worth it.

Advantages:
It's more flexible in that you can use ear-buds if it's hot out, and full 'muffs' if it's cold, and a lighter pair in-between.

It's got significantly less delay than even the AptX-LL ML80 headphones.
While some people have a 'tin ear', and can't hear the difference with even a significant delay, any delay at all drives me nuts.
The WM08 delay is truly almost imperceptible.

I keep the WM08 in my left shirt pocket...wrapped in a plastic bag if it's raining.
That way it's facing the detector, under my jacket, and I don't have to worry about signal issues.
(I've had issues with the CTX when carrying the WM10 module in the back.)

For headphones, I use SunRay Pro Gold for the 'muffs', a decent wired pair similar to the 'weight' of the ML80s, and an expensive pair of on-stage musicians' monitor/earbuds.

Hope that helps,
:thumbup:
mike

X2. The 8 along with the Minelab adaptor allows use of most non compatible headphones and still be wireless. I have countless hours on my module and haven't had any charging/emi issues.
Jeff

Rich, if you don't like the feel of the ML phones provided, then yes it is worth it.

Pros: Use your favorite phones, the ones that feel really good on your head. I've always been pretty fussy about the feel of my phones.
Ability to use the buds, maybe an advantage during hot days.
Backup, in case the ML wireless fail or are discharged.

Con: Another layer of complexity, something else in the chain to fail.

Having become used to wireless phones and never going back, I would have it just for the purposes of backup if nothing else.

glabelle said:
Having become used to wireless phones and never going back, I would have it just for the purposes of backup if nothing else.

I have the same thought as you. Just remember to charge it every couple months or so. If the batter in it is allowed to die and stay dead for a period, it will never work again.

Haven't used mine and felt like it was a extra i didn't need but if it's faster then Bluetooth and a easy way to use good phones it's a good option. Probably have this wrong but couldn't everyone that's having trouble with the low latency apex blah blah thing trade off a cord to they're pocket for no tether and faster sound? Of course being new to Minelab i forgot they don't use a standard 1/8" jack and not sure they have a adapter available.

Coming from the CTX where a Module was the standard wireless it's a natural, just add the adaptor and your favorite headphones.
Jeff

nagant said:
Haven't used mine and felt like it was a extra i didn't need but if it's faster then Bluetooth and a easy way to use good phones it's a good option. Probably have this wrong but couldn't everyone that's having trouble with the low latency apex blah blah thing trade off a cord to they're pocket for no tether and faster sound? Of course being new to Minelab i forgot they don't use a standard 1/8" jack and not sure they have a adapter available.

standard 1/8" plugs work just fine.

I REALLY like the ML80 headphones,they’re MiLES ahead of those UR30 turds from previous model machines! Unfortunately....my ML80s have been commandeered by my son who uses them with his electronics,so....I have to order some Miccus SR71s for him before I see mine again. I’ll definitely be using them with the WM08 for optimized performance,though the headphones by themselves seem to be quite speedy.

IDX,

FWIW, I've got both the SR71s and the ML80s, and I think my pair of 71's sound MUCH better than my pair of ML80s.
(You might try them both out before you decide which ones to give up.)

Since they appear to be made by the exact same company, I don't see how that can be....other than normal manufacturing tolerances?
Maybe I just got a particularly good pair of SR71s, and bad luck-of-the-draw on the ML80s. :shrug:

mike

trojdor said:
IDX,

FWIW, I've got both the SR71s and the ML80s, and I think my pair of 71's sound MUCH better than my pair of ML80s.
(You might try them both out before you decide which ones to give up.)

Since they appear to be made by the exact same company, I don't see how that can be....other than normal manufacturing tolerances?
Maybe I just got a particularly good pair of SR71s, and bad luck-of-the-draw on the ML80s. :shrug:

mike

Thanks Mike,I will do that!:thumbup:

I feel the same way about the WM08 module.

I love the ability to choose my own wired headphones and use them in a wireless manner. I use a set of Sony wired neckband headphones (Sony MDR-G82SL) that work great under wide brim and neck cape style hats (a requirement for the brutal Australian outdoors). I also found the WM08 connects flawlessly with the Equinox whereas sometimes when I try my rather nice Sennheisers wireless earbuds, they just don't want to connect all of the time. This is a pain when you have to fiddle with this in the field. I just put the module in my pants pocket or shirt pocket and use a baggy or waterproof bag when I figure I might get them wet.

I tried on the ML80s but they just don't go well with my head protection so haven't tried them out in the field.

btw Minelab should make the WM08 more waterproof. There really isn't any reason why they shouldn't be.

I got the wm08 with my 800 last year in February when I received my detector. I haven't used it thus far, however I am doing a hunt this coming Sunday and it's going to be hot, so I'm planning to use the wm08 and some wired earbuds for the benefit of not covering my ears making me even hotter. I considered apts bluetooth ear buds but most of those only last a couple hours. This is a 1 day opportunity on a prime site, so I need my phones to last all day. So I figured this will be a good use for that module.

I was disappointed it would not work correctly attached to the back of a hat. I do not want anything in front of me/ in a pocket while working a beach.

Dave