Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WM10 in waterproof pouch for wading?

Pyledriver

I didn't see this discussed exactly so here's my simple idea: put the WM10 module in a waterproof sleeve like the ones for cell phones, hanging around my neck, wrap a wire around the head unit of the CTX to help carry the signal and run it up high enough so the signal reaches the WM10. Feasible? I got the idea for the wire from the Deus waterproofing kit. Just an idea till I can afford underwater phones!

The transmitter on the Deus is in the coil and waterproof , not so on the CTX,,,watch out for waves or stumbles

I'm not clear on a couple of aspects of your question...

1. I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to by the 'head unit'.

2. How much of the detector/you are you planning on submerging?

The CTX isn't like the Deus...the Bluetooth antenna isn't in the coil...it's back with the electronics.
So if you're just wading, you should already be ok by just waterproofing the WM10.

If you're thinking complete submersion of the detector, be advised water attenuates radio signals...a lot.
A good rule of thumb is that the 2.4gHz band...in salt water...gets attenuated by about 200 db/meter. (In other words, it kills it off dead immediately.)

Underwater communication normally requires very low frequencies (10 to 30 kHz) (where attenuation is in the order of 3.5 to 5 dB per meter) and lots of of power.

mike

The WM 10 is not waterproof, nor will it transmit signals if the control housing of the detector is submerged. My (cheap) suggestion would be to simply put it in a zip-lock bag and either stick it in your shirt pocket or fasten a lanyard and put it around your neck.

Yes, that was my idea-put it in a waterproof case that I can still hear sounds through. Also I realize the water will kill the signal but that was my thought on a wire 'antenna'- it would wrap around the detector as close as I could figure that the wireless signal emanates from (probably the head/display), and if I'm lucky help with getting the signal to the WM10. None of the above would affect the detector in any way other than it would either work or not. Just curious if anybody else had experimented with something similar.