Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Working a heavy nail site (photo)

TrpnBils said:
So here it is... like I said, not the prettiest thing in the world. It's not completely what I want yet either. I want to make it about half that height, and I want a ball type socket so it has mobility on the XYZ axes instead of just two of them which it is now. If I can get that third axis in there I can sort of direct the light down into the hole. You can also see in this picture the other flashlight I had taped to the upper shaft initially. I still use it occasionally but not too often now.

That is great!! thanks for posting the pic. It gives me a starting point. Yes, the ball socket would be a nice addition so you can point in any direction once you set the ctx on the ground. I also like the height of the rod... that gives you some flexibility for getting light into the hole as well... nice!! I was out at a field last night with my headlamp... this would have come in very handy. Thanks again!! Tim.

I was up just now putting a new igniter in our furnace and saw the Indian! Oh boy oh boy oh boy AGAIN!! Anybody around you got a tractor with a rear mounted tiller Jeff? It MIGHT hurt an item but it might also relieve you of some brutal shovel work....unless you don't want to take the chance,or can't due to whatever restrictions. I'd think it would leave the coins alone but that gas lamp might not be so lucky....another small victory,you should be very satisfied to find that beauty! It's friends are still playing hide and seek with you...:bouncy:

Yeah man, even my hunting partner wants to bring his equipment down and plow the whole field - we just haven't asked the guy yet. It used to be farmed (it's only 3/4 of an acre or so) along with the huge field on the other side of the road, but this area "only grows rocks now" according to the farmer, and I'd believe it based on what I've been pulling out. Last year the area up the hill was logged, so they had equipment here packing the soil down for about 3 months which has made it brutal digging occasionally. I doubt he would mind, but we haven't approached him yet.

"Only grows rocks"....:lol: I've seen it myself in my parents field which has a lot of Chelsea fine sand...every spring we would go around with the tractor and rock sled picking softball to football sized rocks out so the horses wouldn't kill themselves on them. Who knew there were so many rocks down there??
On the CTX side....did you say before that you had tried manually ground balancing to the soil in question? I recall somewhere,I think it was JohnyAnglo,saying that it is possible to actually ground balance the machine to what is essentially a pile of junk and it will LESSEN the effect of the junk itself. It won't totally cut it all out and this worked best running in Combined and Ground Coin. I'll see if I can dig it up later,I have to head off to work in a bit...

IDXMonster said:
"Only grows rocks"....:lol: I've seen it myself in my parents field which has a lot of Chelsea fine sand...every spring we would go around with the tractor and rock sled picking softball to football sized rocks out so the horses wouldn't kill themselves on them. Who knew there were so many rocks down there??
On the CTX side....did you say before that you had tried manually ground balancing to the soil in question? I recall somewhere,I think it was JohnyAnglo,saying that it is possible to actually ground balance the machine to what is essentially a pile of junk and it will LESSEN the effect of the junk itself. It won't totally cut it all out and this worked best running in Combined and Ground Coin. I'll see if I can dig it up later,I have to head off to work in a bit...

I'll have to take a look around for that - I do noise cancel over iron in places like that, but I almost never ground balance. If you come across that comment do me a favor and link it here. One thing I have been experimenting with at heavy iron sites has been using the Seawater (saltwater? whichever it is) feature to try to weed out some of the noise. Overall, it's just about going slow and listening for little abnormalities in the tone. I have also gotten really comfortable using the pitch hold response in areas like that, which I feel actually makes it less chattery for some reason.