Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Working the G2

Swagman

Went out again today. Not very much luck. Seems like I am not getting much depth. I tried a test setup by burying a penny at 5-6 inches and the G2 barely picked it up at 80 gain. Not sure I am doing things correctly Was in DISC more and disc set a 70. Found a few pennies but all at 1-2 inches.

Reduce your disc to 40. Sure you will hear everything but you finds will go way up. After a while and some digging you will be able to disc by sound and Vdi.
This will also let you know what kind of ground you are dealing with in terms of trash and masking problems. If you want to run at 70 make sure you are balancing in clean ground before cranking the disc up so you can hear the iron and find a clean spot.
HH

Thanks for the reply. I did a few GBs just to make sure everything was OK. Bottle caps and pull tabs were killing me! :) Will trash (caps and tabs) keep the same VDI as you circle it? (90 degrees to either side) Or will it vary?. At times I would swing right and get a 82-85, and then swing left over the area again and read a 77-78. I try to dig everything because I want to learn.

If I go to 40 DISC won't everything give me a VCO tone?

I did an air test tonite and got about 9 inches on a quarter at 90 gain.

Strange thing is I hit a good signal at 5 " and found the head of a small brass tack. The thing was so small but the G2 hit on it solid every sweep. Weird!

I gota lot of learnin' to do! :)

I did have fun though! :)

Was out to day found several coins--- I was at a park i go to just to learn the Gold Bug Pro--- Like he said listen to the sound tell everything after playing around with the GB found Dic mode 90 sen--- notch up to 40 on the dic works great for me. You have to have a good set of head phones believe me their is a different, I use a set of Rattlers-- have a $30 set no comparson on the two. Good Luck Happy Hunting

Turn the left knob all the way clockwise and if the machine starts chattering back it down a little at a time.. Be sure and set both knobs at 12 o'clock and ground balance then turn right knob counter clockwise until it clicks. Set your Disc. with the + button then right knob all the way to the right. This should give you plenty of depth. The tone changes the deeper the target but that machine will do very well with that set-up. HH :teknetics::minelab:

Once again thanks for the replies. Any information or experiences anyone has on the G2 or GB Pro, please feel free to let me know.

I am all ears!

When doing ground balance, I was not setting the ALL METAL knob at 12 o'clock. Just turned it right out of DISC mode (about 9 0'clock)

I'm willing to try anything once!

I said 12 o'clock but the manual says turn the right knob clockwise until you barely hear a threshold sound then groundbalance. Good luck.

Hey swagman, what kind of soil are you working in?

Were you sure that your penny was buried 5-6", and not deeper?

Reason I ask is, I have a test garden set up, and with my Gold Bug DP (same as your G2), a 5-6" penny is EASY. I just dug a wheat penny yesterday that was a full 7", and it hit pretty loud, and very clear. There was plenty of depth to spare there. Have you done any air tests, out of curiousity? Go outside, away from your home's EMI, and take your detector and a yardstick, and a handful of various coins. See what you come up with. You should do better than 5-6" on a penny. Try your air test in both all-metal mode, AND in disc. mode. All metal mode should be quite a bit deeper, but you should still hit that penny at 8 to 9 inches at least in a disc mode air test.

Steve

You are dealing with bad ground. Try to manual Ground Balance your detector ! I hope that works, let us know.

Going outside to do an air test tomorrow. We had more snow and cold here! This winter does not want to let go!

The ground is nice soil and kind of moist due to the rain, but not WET.

Hershy, I will turn the right knob clockwise until I can barely hear the threshold sound, then GB, then turn back to DISC. Got it, Page 21! :)

I will let you know my results, maybe I can get out tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Yes...setting the threshold before you GB is very important!

I might be getting the hang of it.

Went to a park, then to a baseball field.

The half dollar was a huge surprise, hit hard at 91-92 about 5 inches.

I hit another 92-93 at the BB field. Turned out to be 4 quarters in one hole. Cool!

No silver, but I got some leads on some old houses I can shoot next week.

Everyone, thanks for all your help.

Nice, I knew it ! Ground balance was it right ?

Disc at 70? No way take the disc down to about 30-35 and the sens up to 90-100

Oh! Yesterday's settings were DISC - 40, Sense at 70-80, Ground balanced about 77-78.

Pennies hit at 77
Nickles hit at 58-59
Quarters hit at 88
The half hit at 91-93

The 4 quarters in one hole hit at 92-93

Max depth I hit was about 5-6"

I did get a slight hit of 90 to 92, then 85 at about 7". I dug but no joy. Went to Sense 100, could never pick up the signal again. A ghost!

Swagman --

I bet those pennies hitting at 77 were zinc pennies; pre-1982 pennies should hit around 83, along with dimes.

Also, with sensitivity down as low as 70, I think you are doing well hitting 5-6" coins; if you can run the sensitivity higher, you'll likely get better depth (IF the coins in your area are deeper than the 5-6" you are finding them at; they may not be).

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yea, they were zinc. I hunted at a BB field that is getting ready for the new season, but the bleachers are out of the way. I hunted where they usually set the bleachers. So I doubt if there is any deep silver. All clad less than 5-6" I am going to an old house (1880) this Sunday that may give up some silver. Hopefully.

What are the issues, if any, about running sense too high (90-100)? Feedback, battery usage, false echo? I'm guessing. I was advised to keep my sense down until I get used to the detector.

I actually did some digs that, by the way the signals were jumping a bit, I knew were going to be tabs or caps. So I am starting to get a feel for the G2. Just need more time.

It is real nice having a forum like this where I do not feel like I am going in blind. I would like to see what other are seeing for VDI numbers for their various detections and finds. I am going to keep more attention to my various values when detecting.

Do you do a manual GB every so often just to check?

Oh BTW Ken, turning the threshold to the right until I heard background noise during the GB was a huge improvement!

swagman --

The VDI numbers you are reporting for your coins are right in line with what I, and others, are getting on their coins. That's why I guessed your upper 70s VDIs were zincs -- so are mine; sometimes as low as the mid 70s. Copper pennies are usually 83, wheats sometimes a point or two higher. Clad dimes also around 83, silvers maybe a point or two higher -- similar in some cases to wheaties. Quarters upper 80s...

As for ground balance, I do a "ground grab" as often as I can think of it; but sometimes, you will learn that when your machine gets a bit "squirrely" or "chattery," that is sometimes a hint that you need to do a "ground grab."

As for sensitivity, I have noticed no "ill effects" from running full sensitivity. It gives better depth, and I haven't seen any "negatives." Some machines, if you try to run them too "hot," you get more iron falsing, but I'm not sure I have noticed that with this machine. Full sensitivity, it is still VERY stable, and that's one of the awesome things about these machines.

Steve