Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Would you or wouldn't you?

Wooden Nickel

My sister-in-law has a friend at work who's son wants a metal detector. My sister-in-law volunteered me to recommend one. He is almost eight years old. I hesitated to help, not knowing if there was someone around to teach him how to use it. More, or rather, most importantly, there are ethics involved in metal detecting, and I would not want to turn an eight year old loose with a metal detector, without teaching him first, the ethics of metal detecting, and second, how to use the machine.

I have no idea in the world who this kid is. It would be nice for someone to take him and teach him how to metal detect, but I have five grandsons and can't handle another one if I did have the time.

I have since found out that there are a dad and grandpa who metal detect and are available to teach him (Why would they not recommend one?)

Anyway, just for discussion, what would you do if the former was the case? Would you go ahead and recommend one? Would you bow out? I would hate to see a kid miss the chance to be exposed to metal detecting, but at the same time, I would not want to be responsible for creating a potential "bad rep."

What would you do?:confused:

mike.....

Mike, instead of suggesting a particular detector perhaps you could suggest that your sister-in-law's friend get a "beginner" version of the same brand as Dad's or Grandpa's. That way the friend would have to consult Dad or Grandpa. Then one of them could teach him how to use it.:thumbup:

Jim

"Sister-in-Laws friend from work".."Sister In--Law volunteered YOU"..kid has a dad and grandpa involved in the sport/, yep.... bow out!