Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wow an SLQ quarter!

Explorer.se said:
Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Congrats!!! The last SLQ I found inland was dug with an etrac.

Thank you Charles, this was definitely on my bucket list looking forward to finding my first Indian! Maybe ill find it at the same place?

Indians being bronze can sound like a mixed, thick glob of coin/iron/soil mixed together. The more green and corroded they are the more glob like they sound. They do not sound like copper pennies. I dug some brass military buttons last night that ID about where Indians do, horrible sounding, tried to behave and sound like a rusty nail, plus soil mineralization, plus some coin tones. I almost didn't dig the first one. Take a shot on a few iffy signals that sound like that if they ID deep for your site. :thumbup:

Explorer.se said:
Hi guys sorry about the quality of the photo these are a little better. I still cant make out the year quite well. Don't know whether to clean it up. I kinda hate to for obvious reasons. Don't want to scratch her up.

Silver coins scratch very easily when trying to clean off the packed in dirt. What works really well are ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, the sound waves cause the dirt to go POOF in a cloud without scratching the patina/tarnish of the silver coin. Just don't use it on very thin coins like worn 3 cent silvers or on green coins like Indians. The really thin silver coins can crack (don't ask me how I know this doh!) and the layer of green corrosion on Indians can also fracture and break off around the coin edges.

Explorer.se said:
Congrats!!! The last SLQ I found inland was dug with an etrac.

Thank you Charles, this was definitely on my bucket list looking forward to finding my first Indian! Maybe ill find it at the same place?

Indians being bronze can sound like a mixed, thick glob of coin/iron/soil mixed together. The more green and corroded they are the more glob like they sound. They do not sound like copper pennies. I dug some brass military buttons last night that ID about where Indians do, horrible sounding, tried to behave and sound like a rusty nail, plus soil mineralization, plus some coin tones. I almost didn't dig the first one. Take a shot on a few iffy signals that sound like that if they ID deep for your site. :thumbup:

Thank you Charles I definitely will, cant wait to get back out there! I will dig those sounding signals for sure, especially if they are deep. Also wanted to know Charles did you use your Explorer or Deus. The quarter is a 1920 S, that's what the coin dealer told me.

I absolutely love finding the old coins, what a rush it is. I find rings and so on, but there is nothing like finding an old coin. Is that beauty a key date Explorer se? HH

Explorer.se said:
Hi guys sorry about the quality of the photo these are a little better. I still cant make out the year quite well. Don't know whether to clean it up. I kinda hate to for obvious reasons. Don't want to scratch her up.

Silver coins scratch very easily when trying to clean off the packed in dirt. What works really well are ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, the sound waves cause the dirt to go POOF in a cloud without scratching the patina/tarnish of the silver coin. Just don't use it on very thin coins like worn 3 cent silvers or on green coins like Indians. The really thin silver coins can crack (don't ask me how I know this doh!) and the layer of green corrosion on Indians can also fracture and break off around the coin edges.

Good to know thanks for the info I think I will pass though Charles I just love looking at it in it’s current state. Boy just want to get back out there again and see what else I can dredge up! Thanks for the info!

Drakester said:
I absolutely love finding the old coins, what a rush it is. I find rings and so on, but there is nothing like finding an old coin. Is that beauty a key date Explorer se? HH

Yes you are right Drakester it is a key date! It doesn’t get any better than that! I didn’t even bother considering if it was key date or not I was so happy to unearth it!

Yea.................... Thanks for the reply ..Wish him well and thank him for serving our country..:thumbup::usaflag:

Explorer.se said:
Explorer.se said:

Good to know thanks for the info I think I will pass though Charles I just love looking at it in it’s current state. Boy just want to get back out there again and see what else I can dredge up! Thanks for the info!

Dug them with my Se Pro, dug 2 more tonight its been dubbed the button honey hole.

Explorer.se said:
Explorer.se said:

Dug them with my Se Pro, dug 2 more tonight its been dubbed the button honey hole.

That's awesome! Great going Charles! Keep digging em up!

Exp, I too cant see much detail on the coin. I dont thibk its a cleaning issue, but more of a camera/user thingy.
Try to see if your camera has a Macro setting, that will surely mess you up when lenses is too close to object. Also, if you have a scanner on PC, maybe try that. A buddy always uses the scanner and it works great.
Hope that helps! Love the back on SQLs and older coins, reverse doesnt seem to get enough attention... cant forget our Eagle!
Take care and keep digging!

Oh, one more thing... based on what you said, looks like you need to update your user name... I loved my etrac! Kinda wish I didnt jump to the CTX.

You can buy silver cleaning cloths they work great