Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wow ! got a Tesoro Diablo Umax .

Bobbylikesgold

Did some tests and this little sucker rocks , why in hell did they drop it so long ago , can't wait to give it a run over a gold field :biggrin:

Bobby.

Congratulations ! I've been looking for one for a few months now and didn't have any luck but I did come up on a good deal on a Lobo ST . So far I have not been disappointed . Let us know how is works for you ??

There are times when as a detector user and retailer for almost 40 years that I am amazed at the dumb moves detector companies make now and then. Hey, they are nothing but bunches of humans, so it is to be expected. Tesoro to this day could profit by reintroducing the Diablo uMax as a low cost nugget detector, but what are the chances of that happening? When people are seeking out stuff used at high prices on eBay it is a pretty good clue, kind of like with White's and the Bigfoot coil. I would like to get a Diablo uMax in good condition if anyone has one they will part with.

Steve Herschbach

I have gold specimens a GPX4500 just cant detect , the Diablo max can see them all & what's even better I managed to cancel out all my collection of hot rocks using it's extra hot balance knob :clap:

As Steve said why stop production of such a great gold detector ?

Bobby.

Dertnc said:
Congratulations ! I've been looking for one for a few months now and didn't have any luck but I did come up on a good deal on a Lobo ST . So far I have not been disappointed . Let us know how is works for you ??

Thanks I'm rapt with it , the trouble with the lobo ST is Auto ground balance ! what happens when you get a iffy signal ' :unsure: you go over it with shorter swings again & again as you do this the auto balance nulls that signal out thinking its just mineralized noise , you then move on missing a possible deeper nugget :cry:

Bobby.

I tried to find one of these also but had no luck. I wonder if enough of us emailed Tesoro with a preorder or request for a Diablo Umax if they would start making them again?

machineman said:
I tried to find one of these also but had no luck. I wonder if enough of us emailed Tesoro with a preorder or request for a Diablo Umax if they would start making them again?

I have often wondered why Tesoro did not reproduce this wonderful model again , maybe because it was designed by a contracted tech there was a limited number deal done regarding intellectual property rights ? :confused:

Bobby.

this was a Dave johnson design, and according to him it was one of his faves. Come on Tesoro.

Probably the lack of discrimination killed it. The Lobo serves more as a multi-purpose detector but there is not a lot of demand for detectors with no discrimination at all.

Steve Herschbach

I have heard of the problem with the auto tracking on LST , but so far I haven't experienced it yet . I haven't found any gold yet but I have been finding bird shot and very small pieces of foil .

I designed it while working for Tesoro as an employee, Tesoro owns the design. It's one of my all-time favorite metal detectors. A couple years ago a friend gave me his as a gift. Don't nobody bother asking how much I'd take for it, it's not for sale!

--Dave J.

Dave J. said:
I designed it while working for Tesoro as an employee, Tesoro owns the design. It's one of my all-time favorite metal detectors. A couple years ago a friend gave me his as a gift. Don't nobody bother asking how much I'd take for it, it's not for sale!

--Dave J.

You should get a medal for that design ! it's a ripper detector ::please:

Would appreciate your input about the hot rock balance as the manual is not clear , I find that setting it around 6 knocks most hot rocks out .

Regards
Bobby.

I have a feeling that Tesoro has a new gold detector in the works. I know that the Lobo ST is still selling but its time for something new. I can see them making the Diablo umax with the LST ground tracking feature option. Just a thought. Thanks for your hard work Dave. You have added so much to the detecting world.:clapping: I am looking at getting a GB pro soon.

Thanks Dave for a truly great design, certainly an idea ahead of it's time, I own 3 of of the little fellas! They are my favorite scouting units, for climbing the canyons with in the Pacific North-West.
The Diablo

Bobbylikesgold said:
Would appreciate your input about the hot rock balance as the manual is not clear , I find that setting it around 6 knocks most hot rocks out .

Regards
Bobby.

I don't know what it says in the manual.

Many years ago, Ed Coogan taught me a trick for dealing with suspected hot rocks: you balance out the offending spot, which of course means you're no longer balanced to the ground matrix. Then you sweep over the spot very level and slow in different directions, listening carefully through the ground noise. A hot rock, usually you can make it disappear. A nugget, usually you won't be able to balance it out completely, you'll still hear it.

With other metal detectors, this is a time-consuming trick which makes it necessary to rebalance over matrix when you've given up on the hot rock. So few people use it.

In many areas, hot rocks will tend to be of a particular type, fairly consistent on their ground balance point. If you've got that kind of situation, with the Diablo uMax you balance over one of 'em (or a collection of several of 'em) using the secondary GB. Now you search in the regular GB mode but when you hit an anomaly you switch to the secondary GB setting to check the target. If it's disappeared or gives a very muffled response, it's probably a hot rock. If the zip is still there, you've got metal. And if you're lucky, it's gold.

--Dave J.

Now I will add more. The Tesoro Diablo Umax is totally underrated. The folks at Tesoro did not know of its value. Jack Luef
tested it for Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine. I found out it used the same coils as the Lobo superTRAX and then
bought one for my use from Hal & Norma Thornburgh (anyone remember them?) then distributors for Tesoro. Back
then I was still very active and agile. Thus with the Umax being so light and compact and using only one 9-volt it would
fit in my sleeping bag and very familiar with packing in and staying overnight I made several trips to several considered worked
out epithermal gold-silver areas (anyone know about them?) where I believed there was associated placers.

I'm sure there are others who have had the same experiences using the Umax. Its value is in its ability to do big time
in a small package. It was ahead of it's time... A VLF gold specific analog detector. Any limits were the users and not
the Umax... You did good Dave...:thumbup:

Dave, how about put a "Sniff" button on the new Gold Bug like the Time Ranger had, only for hot rocks...one push for the GB of the hot rocks, and a held postion for the checking of hot rocks.
We could call it "DJ's Lil' Gold Devil" :yo:

Respectfully,
PennyFinder

I just gotta toss in to not entirely ignore all hot and cold rock signals, as some may be meteorites. As noted, you'll encounter a certain type of "detectable" rock in a given spot, but if you come across one that's a little different, just pay it a visit out of curiosity if nothing else. Jim and some others here can relate to what I'm sayin'.
-Ed