Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wow People are Devoted to their Detectors!

Bishop2012

I'm brand new to this so I haven't developed any loyalty. However I was in a local shop and they basically told me I had made a huge mistake getting the CTX over the Deus. They sold both so I can't say it was a dealer thing. I was just shocked but smiled and thanked them for the demo. Was pretty surprised about the situation.

Theres a name for that in psychological circles but I cant think of it at the moment. Basically, the more you spend for something, the more convinced you made the right choice as time goes on. Humans are loathe to admit they are wrong (read the boards if you want more of that than you can stand!)

There is no one machine for everyone. All have strengths and weaknesses. What a person has to find is whats right for You.

I think you're right. I read all the reviews before choosing the CTX and I am happy with my choice. I was just surprised how hard he kept pushing the Deus even after I explained I JUST bought the CTX and wasn't interested in another device for a while. He wasn't unfriendly just VERY dedicated.

I guess it all depends on what you use it for and how you are going to use it. the CTX is a great detector and so is the Deus so it boils down to personal preference ....... learn it and use it and don't look back woulda,shoulda, coulda ...at least you are detecting. Personally I would love to have a CTX but I just can't justify the cost for the kind of detecting I do ..... will it get more than my excal II that I am using now maybe or maybe not but would it save me a lot of digging yes i'm sure it would ...... but I still dig everything so maybe not.
Don't second guess yourself and happy hunting
Best
Rob

That may be the case for some, for others it is a matter of experience.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd swing a turd on a stick if it does the job. Brand loyalty has nothing what so ever to do with my choices. All my choices are based on experience. That is not to say your experience will be the same as mine, but only that what I chose to use comes from having tried every flipping possible option and choosing what works best for me, my area and my type of hunting.

That's about what I figured. I don't know enough yet to argue with them but I do know even though I haven't mastered it yet I'm very happy with it so far. I don't have any regrets

I have owned the Deus, V3I, F75 SE, at pro, etrac, and the CTX. IMO for me the deus is the most over rated machine out there. It is fantastic in trash no doubt. But it's ID at depth over about 4" was horrible. And for me that means a lot. I am not a dig everything kind of guy.

All these machines have their good points. But for me the 3030 fits me to a tee.

KinTN said:
Theres a name for that in psychological circles but I cant think of it at the moment. Basically, the more you spend for something, the more convinced you made the right choice as time goes on. Humans are loathe to admit they are wrong (read the boards if you want more of that than you can stand!)

There is no one machine for everyone. All have strengths and weaknesses. What a person has to find is whats right for You.
You have hit the nail on the head!!
I have no brand loyalty to detectors, cars,or anything else that tends to suffer from this phenomen.
I buy and use what works for me!
In the detector world I like to experiment with the different technologies and have found that I prefer certain machines based on what I'm hunting for and where I'm hunting.

It should make you question why a dealer would put down a machine that he sells. Every machine has a different sales profit for the dealer, and if they aren't trying to put a person with the detector that best suits them, they aren't really helping you at all.

Both are good machines, but very different from each other.
The Deus excels at identifying non-ferrous targets in carpets of nails and other ferrous trash.
For hunting specific non-ferrous targets (old coins, silver, etc.) in areas where the trash spans nearly the entire conductivity range (from iron to aluminum screw caps), the CTX is the clear winner.

gabbyhayes said:
KinTN said:

I have no brand loyalty to detectors, cars,or anything else that tends to suffer from this phenomen.
In the detector world I like to experiment with the different technologies and have found that I prefer certain machines based on what I'm hunting for and where I'm hunting.

After you become familiar with the machine, I have only 2 statements.

Believe what these experienced guys are telling you.
Make sure you are confident with the CTX.
THEN GO BACK TO THOSE SAME PEOPLE AND ASK THEM "WHERE" THEIR BEST HUNTED OUT SPOTS ARE!!!!!!!!

OK, that's 3, I ain't a smart man but I know a good detector when I use one.

Jason in Enid said:
It should make you question why a dealer would put down a machine that he sells. Every machine has a different sales profit for the dealer, and if they aren't trying to put a person with the detector that best suits them, they aren't really helping you at all.

That's a great point. I didn't even consider margins. I also didn't consider the fact that they couldn't push a CTX when I already had one but they could push a Deus

glenn3-88 said:
gabbyhayes said:
KinTN said:

After you become familiar with the machine, I have only 2 statements.

Believe what these experienced guys are telling you.
Make sure you are confident with the CTX.
THEN GO BACK TO THOSE SAME PEOPLE AND ASK THEM "WHERE" THEIR BEST HUNTED OUT SPOTS ARE!!!!!!!!

OK, that's 3, I ain't a smart man but I know a good detector when I use one.

LoL I can't wait to get back out and hunt ANY spot! I was going today but we had an unexpected snow.

Bishop2012 said:
Jason in Enid said:

That's a great point. I didn't even consider margins. I also didn't consider the fact that they couldn't push a CTX when I already had one but they could push a Deus

Yeah, that second aspect hit me after I posted that. You are right, if he could take you into a trade, he would give you a low-ball price for the CTX in exchange and then sell it and get a double profit.

Like I said, when you get confident with the CTX ask him where his favorite spot
is and I'll bet a gold goose that he won't tell you

I could see the dealer saying that, maybe correctly, if you were doing a specific type of detecting. Seems like most people say the Deus does better in really heavy iron but that the CTX is better with TID. I had a big debate in my head over the two also and the conclusion that I came to was that both are great detectors but both have different strengths.

KinTN said:

There are times I prefer my ACE250. If I need a quick fix this machine is my choice for tot lots. Not too deep and light to swing....and it loves our Canadian clad!!!
Also a great machine to give to a rookie or a person that is interested in getting into the hobby.....they can be hunting treasure with only a 5 minute lesson.

KinTN said:

...and that's the best answer you're going to get.

Both machines (CTX and Deus) are excellent machines. But they excel (and fail) in different areas.
The CTX will accurately ID in some pretty junky ground just about to max detection depth. The Deus frequently falls on it's face at ID'ing at depth and in separating aluminum trash from coins.
The Deus will effortlessly hit a coin covered on all sides with lots of rusty iron, while the CTX will frequently fall flat, and null out in similar iron.

So which is better? Well, which of these is better; a sports car or a 4 wheel drive truck?
Answer(s); It depends on the use...it's nice to have both. :)

mike