Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wow! Serious bad soil!

INSAYN

Went to a relatively new park the other day that obviously had some fill added to level it out. The worst soil I've ever put my CTX coil over. Not much in the way of EMI, but holy crap the ground was bad. No way I was going to be running in Manual above 14-15 without the falsing. Auto +3 would give me roughly 16-18 with the suggested being only 6-8. Dang!

Note worthy enough to mention is that I was impressed that the CTX still found a modern Jefferson nickle at 5" loud and clear in both High Trash mode as well as Ferrous Coin mode. (I have identical programs to toggle between to compare). The numbers were slightly off reading 11-19..12-18, an no other metal found in the area. I didn't think to switch over to Ground Coin until after I had dug it. That would have been some good info to compare with. Heck, I should have probably ran in Ground Coin in the first place, duh!

Oh and I did ground balance to see if I could get higher Manual settings, but no change.

Good Post there...thanks for sharing.

You handled the scenario well.
That 16 - 18 was probably very temporary of the suggested had been as low as stated.
Yes, Ground Coin probably would have shown more accurate Target ID's but, as the soil was as bad as it was, you did well.

Minelab just release 10 "How-To" videos and one of those covers Ground Balance...over on the Y T site...

I hit some soil almost as bad yesterday at Happy Valley park, the CTX suggested only 9!

I believe were hunting similar soil.