Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WW2 south pacific videos..where are they?

gordygroover

Go to U-Tube and you can watch detecting videos from the battlefields of Europe for hours. Fascinating stuff.
On the flip side, I don't recal seeing any videos from the south pacific theatre. Just seems strange.
I can see why I guess. Most battles were fought on islands. Not easy to drive from one island to another in the family sedan. Lots of brush to contend with as opposed to Europe.
Gotta be a person on Okinowa or Guam that owns a detector and a video camera that would make a posting but sure seems to be a rare occurence.

A little closer to home, and probably tough access would be the Aleutian islands. Lot's of battles there. Lots of stuff left behind too.

I watched a program on the military channel last year where a vet who when through the thick of the Pacific fighting returned to one of the islands and spent a lot of time there. The thrust of the program concerned missing marines and GI's who are still unaccounted for to this day. During that program they showed a lot of military gear that the natives have collected over the years. It is all over the place. Could be a very sensitive subject.

Jerry

Thats where I learned to dive. Can tell you lots of stories from 1979 and 1980!! You just have to look in tidal pools to find ammunition and lots of things. Very spooky.

I found pineapple gernades, morters, military cans of bullets with the cans gone but the bullets fused together. I even came across a fully intact depth charge. Dove on a battleship at the south end of the island and a submarine that was resting on the hole in it and was a toumb, and dove on some LST landing craft blown to bits. I would love to go back and see the place again. Visibility in the water was over 150' and just awsome. I never found a gun but I wanted to. Right now my dream is to find a thompson submachine gun in one of the lakes here.

[size=large]two years ago i met a navy vet who was thrown off the uss utah when she was torpedoed. he was transffered to the uss honolulu and was one of the first ships out off pearl after the attack. his ship was in the battle for the alutians. also other island battles.very interesting reading on the web. he'd be someone who could maybe shed some light on the use of money during the pacific war. when he was telling me his story it was just yesterday to him.every detail. you find yourself a pacific vet and he'll tell ya about what they did for or with money. the fella lives just outside of toutle, wa.but hurry. this fella for instance was slowly dying of cancer.

HH[/size]