Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Cal Repairs

GeorgeinSC

At the end of last month I was at the beach hunting the elusive gold. No I did not find any. But my X-Cal II went crazy for a minute or two. I tried turning different knobs and when I turned the Volume knob it went back to working.

Next trip to the beach the X-Cal again worked for a while and then went crazy. It happened three times. Twice I was able to get it back to working and finally gave up after the third time.

Got in touch with Barry at Kellyco and described the problem. He said that it might be that I had a cracked coil as some times the problems as I described could be caused by the coil.

So I shipped it to Kellyco. Barry had told me that they had approximately 60 machines waiting for service so it would be close to three weeks before they would get to my machine. He was pretty accurate in his time estimate. He was only off by one day.

Barry fixed my machine. Bad Volume control Traces (what ever traces are) and also replaced the upper O rings on the control knob shafts. Billed 1.25 hours of labor and return shipping. I was extremely happy to get the phone call that it was repaired and that the cost was not much higher. Between rain showers I took it out in the yard and tested it on some coins.

Now we are in the middle of a Monsoon in South Carolina and I am watching it rain, rain, rain and rain some more. Hopefully this too shall pass. Maybe some sand will get moved at the local beaches.

Do you have a knob guard? Bad traces are caused by hitting the knob and it breaks loose potentiometers little connections to the board...the volume and disc setting knobs are the worse for they are only connected in three spots then hot glued. So best to protect those knobs...

I put a knob guard on the machine before I ever turned it on. I have tried to be very protective of the machine. I do not know how the knob could have gotten hit. I hit a rock with the coil (not hard) when the problem first started. That was what made me and Barry think that it might be the coil. I have no complaints about the price that I was charged for the repairs. I was just very happy that it was not more serious and more expensive.

When I wished for all that rain to fix our bone dry soil in TN, I never imagined that it would come from over you, George. Sorry about that.

Glad your gold finder is feeling better.

So far today (Sunday) it has only sprinkled a little bit in my area. But they are still telling us that there may be up to six more inches of rain to come by tomorrow evening. . Some areas are reporting almost 24 inches of rain since Friday.. Columbia is flooded. Folks are still trying to drive thru the floods and are drowning. Interstates are closed along with a lot of other highways. Curfew in effect in a low of areas. .

[attachment 320413 219395_1.jpg]

George,great to hear about a business that did a good repair job for their customer.Thanks Ron