Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra Headphones

donl98632

Recently traded for a X-Terra 505, is my first Minelab detector, have been detecting since the early 80's. I see that Minelab recommends Koss UR30 headphones, anyone using these, or any suggestions for a better way to go?

I have ur 30 but Im not crazy about them. I use killer b headphones and really like them. The koss are not made near as well.

I think the Koss are crap , they are just put in the box of the ET as a stocking filler , the best headphones are the Gray Ghost or Black Widow . They have a useless volume control on them but they are the best .
Wouldn't use much else , especially if on the beaches.

I use the Koss UR30 headphones with my X-terra 705. I've tried a few others but I go back to the UR30s because I like the sound. I do agree that some others fit better and that becomes more important if you're a beach hunter where there is wind and water noise. See if you can borrow a pair that you're considering before you buy and test them with something like a very small gold ring if that's the kind of target you're looking for. Be sure to max the volume on your detector and set it to the most number of tones.

I use GGs on my 705. I think like in most aspects of MDing, go with what ever works for you. Budget may dictate choices. I find so much pleasure in just hunting that if I am using ear buds or custom built fancy phones, I am good with it. Being a good American I have plenty of old headphones and ear buds to choose from. Between tinnitus and old ears there does not seem to be a huge amount of difference in what I find either way. That's just me though.
:detecting:

I just bought a set of wireless Sennheiser RS160 for my X-Terra 705 as they were on sale at Best Buy for 1/3 off. I really like the fact that I'm no longer tangled up in the headphone cord. A major plus as far as I'm concerned.

I use the in ear headphones that came with my iPhone, along with a coiled extensions lead. They sound great, much better than the Koss UR30s that now collect dust.

Don, believe it or not, I used Sony earbuds that I picked up at Walmart for $8. Not bad at all the have a decent sound and are comfortable and cool in the warm weather.

I am running the Gray Ghost and really like them

I just bought the killer b wasp headphones. Could someone please dumb down an explanation of this volume limiter switch?

RowdyJoe82 said:
I just bought the killer b wasp headphones. Could someone please dumb down an explanation of this volume limiter switch?
A limiter switch activates a circuit so to speak that will keep the volume at a comfortable level on a shallow target that might otherwise be very loud on some detectors.

I second Terremoto's suggestion. Wireless is so very much nicer. I have a RS160 transmitter velcro'd to the back of my 705's control box, and a set of RS180 headphones paired with it. The only real difference is that the RS180s are "open" back phones, which allow sound through from the outside: a desirable feature for me so I can still hear my pinpointer and surrounding environment.

I picked up recertified units on Amazon for less than half price, and they seem to keep a good number in stock.

I don't usually use headphones but when I do I use Koss UR30, I like the sound, are well made and if Minelab trust them so do I.

I tried my TDK wireless HPs that i use on my Minelab 2300----- and i couldnt get any sound out of them------

I am new to the 705--Is there some deal about mono and stero plugs that would be my problem--- I will have to check to see what kind of plug i am using.

thx

paul

Yes. You do need a stereo plug or adaptor.
I use Auvio wireless phones, and they have a 1/8" plug on their transmitter. A simple 1/4" stereo adaptor and I'm good to go.

pkirkll said:
I tried my TDK wireless HPs that i use on my Minelab 2300----- and i couldnt get any sound out of them------

I am new to the 705--Is there some deal about mono and stero plugs that would be my problem--- I will have to check to see what kind of plug i am using.

thx

paul
oooops... the headphones are not just plug and play like Minelab 2300---i have to set it up on the detector---thanks for someone who repeated this enough that it finnally registered!

pkirkll said:
oooops... the headphones are not just plug and play like Minelab 2300---i have to set it up on the detector---thanks for someone who repeated this enough that it finnally registered!
:lol: Yes, there are separate volume controls for headphones and the speaker. You have to have the phones plugged in to set their volume.
Glad that you got it sorted. :thumbup:

I use the Koss UR30s ... The only complaint I have/had was that the coiled cord was way too short for me. I kept having my Xterra 705 falling over on the headphone plug when I dug my plugs. It actually broke the wires to the 1/4" male plug on the inside of coiled wire sheath. I have two sets of UR30s to go with my two 705s and it happened to both sets of headphones. I fixed the problem by buying a good 12' (when extended) coiled headphone extension cord. Took the UR30 earmuff apart, the one the cord comes out of, 3 screws, unsoldered the 3 thin wires inside, taking note of where the 3 colored wires attached. I then removed the female end of the extension (coiled) cord separated the 3 wires and soldered the longer cord in, put it all back together. I now love my Koss UR30s.

Gerry

Anything is better than the Koss, even two empty coke cans connected with a string. I use Killer B's with my X Terra 705. They are absolutely fantastic, comfortable even for all day hunting with excellent low/mid/high tones. On the other hand, I have the Koss on my Excalibur II, after an our, it starts killing me.