Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XLT opinion please

Regina Canada I paid almost $1200 CAD in 2002 for new one from the local dealer That time they where around $1000 USD from White's

lytle78 said:
T..... It detects a railroad spike at 2' and an 8" circular saw blade at 3 1/4 feet.

:lol::laugh:

Hey Skookum, what do those funny faces mean? I only speak English and Norwegian - hieroglyphics I don't understand.

The detection distances I listed were actual measured air test distances with the target flat on the ground,

Feel free to drop by anytime, enjoy the warm AZ winter sun, gaze on the beautiful Superstition mointains and try the coil yourself.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold.

Here's the original Whites ad for the coil

For whites 6.59 kHz
MAGNUM FORCE LOOPS

Magnum Force Loops are designed by Jim Karbowski for use by Cache and Relic Hunters. Both the 15" and 25" loops are maximized for high sensitivity for larger, deeper targets and are extremely lightweight for their size. Both loops are designed for use on all White's Pro's, Eagle's, Quantums and Spectrums.

The 15" Magnum Force loop is best suited for finding targets in coffee can size or larger and will achieve depths up to 3 to 5 feet depending on the detector used and the size of the target. This loop is a favorite among Relic Hunters.

The Magnum Force 25" loop is the "Big Daddy" of the deep searching loops and is designed for the serious Treasure Hunter. Relic and Cache Hunters can achieve depths of 6 to 9 feet, again depending upon the detector used and the size of the target. Although the 15" Magnum Force Loop may be used in the discriminate mode, such as when relic hunting, large loops perform best in the "all metal" mode and achieve their best depths when searching for larger targets. The 25" loop should only be used in the "all metal" mode following the instructions enclosed with it. For ease of operation, a Sierra Arm Support System is included with the 25" loop.
Magnum Force 15" loop Item # JS-MF15 $199.95
Currently Unavailable
Magnum Force 25" loop Item # JS-MF25 $329.95
Currently Unavailable

Hi,
No man, I ain´t doubting you.
On the contrary.
I´ve dug some pretty deep holes myself to come up with just plain junk.
Although the last item that deep turned out to be a WWII bomb.
Makes you want to take up skateboarding or some other safe hobby.
By the way - I live in Germany

hh
skookum

Hi Skookum,

If you live in Germany, there's even more reason for you to take up my invitation to enjoymthe AZ sunshin!

Thanks for the clarification. I am often wrong about stuff, but do try and faithfully describe what I observe.

I know there is tons of IXB type stuff in Europe, my "former almost father-in-law" was at work in London in 1942 - a US Army engineer officer working on defusing and destroying unexploded bombs. He didn't like it as I recall!

For that price for that unit, I would jump on that in a heartbeat. Why because for what I do , my settings specifically for relic hunting, my machine will rival any of the big boys out there, f75, deus , etc.

for another $100-$200 you can get a DFX .. I considered the XLT but after asking in several places the consensis was DFX is a better deal.. 2 frequencies, slow swing if you want, more coils options etc.
In my mind I had decided if a clean XLT came along I would go as high as $200.. I bought a complete setup that contained a DFX and 3 coils for $560..by complete I mean with Lesche, preditor relic shovle, gray ghosts, vibraprobe, find bag, gear bags, DDwthDFX book. 5 battery packs, chargers and other asorted items.

Monte said:
they used to be, and the detectors are actually very well balanced. Some detectors with smaller and/or lighter housings still have coils, or bigger coils everyone asks for, on the far end of the rod and that causes them to balance terribly. Much better comfort with an XLT or MXT All-Pro or VX3, etc., in my opinion .... and I use them. :thumbup:

Monte

PS: I'll drop you a PM later.

Hey Monte, I thought I would ask you first before making a big post in the forum...what settings do you use/recommend to find old flat buttons? The staff officers button I found last week was ONLY found. (I BELIEVE) because I changed the Bottle cap reject from a settings of 4, down to 1. What would you change to find the smaller (thinner) regular eagle buttons and flat buttons?

Thank you sir,
Bubba

bubbadirect said:
Hey Monte, I thought I would ask you first before making a big post in the forum...what settings do you use/recommend to find old flat buttons? The staff officers button I found last week was ONLY found. (I BELIEVE) because I changed the Bottle cap reject from a settings of 4, down to 1. What would you change to find the smaller (thinner) regular eagle buttons and flat buttons?

Thank you sir,
Bubba
Bubba,

Bottle Cap Reject is only one of the many adjustments on the XLT that could have an affect on your results. For me, "old flat buttons" and "staff officer's buttons" and "smaller [size=small](thinner)[/size] regular eagle buttons and flat buttons" are not separate target types I try to make adjustments to find. Instead, as a general rule I set out to find anything that is not 'iron.' It doesn't matter which detector I have in hand, I very, very seldom use more Discrimination than just enough to reject iron nails. As a rule, I use only enough Discrimination to just barely reject iron nails with the detector/coil in-hand, and I mean just barely.

There are some times that I do set the rejection higher, but only when I know the detector/coil combo in my hands and have confidence in how it will perform. Iron has a different effect on an electromagnetic field than does non-ferrous metals, and using a rejection level higher than to just barely reject iron nails can easily lead to more good-target masking. There are very few detector models that will allow me to use a full iron rejection [size=small](of the common iron targets that fall in the designed 'iron' range of a model)[/size] and still get a digable hit on a coin laying on my Nail Board Performance Test.

I don't have a problem detecting with a non-display detector at typical "relic hunting" sites, and when I use a model with visual TID I might glance at the numeric reading, but often I don't. I like to go by the audio response, and with different makes and models I might use some form of audio Tone information they provide ... sometimes. One of the things I like about the XLT is that it does offer a FEW needed adjustable features, and it is relatively easy to work up some Custom Programs. One thing I DON'T like, however, is that there are too many adjustments or too much range of some adjustments and that results in poor performance for a lot of people, depending upon the types of sites they hunt and how radical their settings are.

Remember, too, that many of the interesting targets we are likely to find [size=small](or we try to intentionally)[/size] are of unusual shape anf metal make-up which can cause us some trouble. Buttons are one prime example. Most are kind of roundish in shape, but some are 'flat' types, some are domed. Some have holes and others don't. Some are all of one metal alloy content, while other might have one metal for the front of the button, and a different metal used for the back of the button, and then again some might have a diffident type of metal used for the button hook or loop. The result can be a more inconsistent TID/VDI read-out.

Okay, after that rambling I will close by stating my preferred search coil for a more open area is an 8", such as the Royal 800. For trashier and brushier locations I opt for the 6½" Concentric coil [size=small](Blue Max 600 or 5.3 Bullseye)[/size].

I use my #1 preferred Custom Program that I called 'Bushwhack'.

My Bushwhack program uses the following adjustments.:

Target Volume .. 62
Audio Threshold .. 6 [size=small](Or a setting that's proper for your hearing and the headphones used.)[/size]
Tone [size=small](Audio Frequency)[/size] .. 225
Audio Disc. ..On
Silent Search .. Off
Mixed Mode .. Off
AC Sensitivity .. 75
DC Sensitivity .. 35
Backlight '.. 0
Viewing Angle .. 25

Ratchet Pinpoint .. Off
S.A.T. Speed .. 7
Tone ID .. On
VCO Audio .. On
Absolute Value .. Off
Modulation .. On

Auto-Trac .. Off
Track View .. On
Auto-Trac Speed .. 14
Auto-Trac Offset .. +1
Track Inhibit .. Off
Course GEB .. N/A
Fine GEB .. N/A

Disc. Reject .. -95 to -41
Disc. Accept .. -40 to +95

Learn Reject .. Off
Learn Accept .. Off
Recovery Speed .. 20
Bottle Cap reject .. 1

Visual Disc. ,, On
Icons .. On
VDI Sensitivity .. 85
DC Phase .. Off
Graph Averaging .. On
Graph Accumulate .. On
Fade rate .. 7

Transmit Boot .. On
Transmit Frequency .. 4
Pre Amp Gain .. 10

Get to a site and adjust P-A G if desired or needed and hunt away.

Monte

Thank you Monte! I'm going to post my settings this afternoon when I get home to see how mine is different (ie, not the best maybe) for those small brass buttons.

The XLT is a great detector! I bought a 'rainbow" version new from my local dealer in Dallas in, I want to say 1995. I was coming from a 6000D series 3 and it was an easy transition. I hunted with the XLT for 10 years until I bought an XL Pro in 2005 (on closeout, new for $499!).

We all know how great the White's 6000/XL Pro detectors are, well the XLT is basically a 6000 with a digitized interface and much more adjustability. It even shares the same coils and cooperating frequency. The overall handling and "feel: of the XLT is remarkably similar to the 6000, with all the advantages and disadvantages. Great audio, depth, and smoothness, but suffers from target masking, especially since it has to be swung at a moderate or faster swing speed.

Just like the 6000, the XLT is perfect for quickly searching open areas without a whole lot of trash. My favorite coil on the XLT has always been the 9.5" concentric, blasphemy, I know, but I do have all the other coils (the 5.3, the Royal 800, even the little shooter), but the 9.5" concentric is best able to maximize the XLT advantages (large, fast, and deep coverage) without trying to make it into something it's not (a slow-crawl trashy area sniper).

I really REALLY like the XLT and think it's one of White's best designs ever.

Wayfarer said:
The XLT is a great detector! I bought a 'rainbow" version new from my local dealer in Dallas in, I want to say 1995. I was coming from a 6000D series 3 and it was an easy transition. I hunted with the XLT for 10 years until I bought an XL Pro in 2005 (on closeout, new for $499!).

We all know how great the White's 6000/XL Pro detectors are, well the XLT is basically a 6000 with a digitized interface and much more adjustability. It even shares the same coils and cooperating frequency. The overall handling and "feel: of the XLT is remarkably similar to the 6000, with all the advantages and disadvantages. Great audio, depth, and smoothness, but suffers from target masking, especially since it has to be swung at a moderate or faster swing speed.

Just like the 6000, the XLT is perfect for quickly searching open areas without a whole lot of trash. My favorite coil on the XLT has always been the 9.5" concentric, blasphemy, I know, but I do have all the other coils (the 5.3, the Royal 800, even the little shooter), but the 9.5" concentric is best able to maximize the XLT advantages (large, fast, and deep coverage) without trying to make it into something it's not (a slow-crawl trashy area sniper).

I really REALLY like the XLT and think it's one of White's best designs ever.

Wayfarer, thank you so much for all the words and strengths that you shared about the XLT. For where I go metal detecting for Civil War relics, this machine has been the best, at least to me. We have found everything from frag's, to complete shells, two buckles, all kinds of bullets, buttons, even small brass like percussion caps.

But for some reason, and this one includes me, it is very hard to find buttons, flat buttons, etc. which is why last year I bought the gold bug pro, and use the 13 inch ultimate coil with it. I am still trying to work out the settings, hopefully with the help of Monty, so that I can find more buttons.

And for what it's worth, unless I put my goldbug pro in all metal mode, (and dig everything), the XLT finds deeper objects.

Bubba

Monte said:
bubbadirect said:

Thank you sir,
Bubba
Bubba,

Bottle Cap Reject is only one of the many adjustments on the XLT that could have an affect on your results. For me, "old flat buttons" and "staff officer's buttons" and "smaller [size=small](thinner)[/size] regular eagle buttons and flat buttons" are not separate target types I try to make adjustments to find. Instead, as a general rule I set out to find anything that is not 'iron.' It doesn't matter which detector I have in hand, I very, very seldom use more Discrimination than just enough to reject iron nails. As a rule, I use only enough Discrimination to just barely reject iron nails with the detector/coil in-hand, and I mean just barely.

There are some times that I do set the rejection higher, but only when I know the detector/coil combo in my hands and have confidence in how it will perform. Iron has a different effect on an electromagnetic field than does non-ferrous metals, and using a rejection level higher than to just barely reject iron nails can easily lead to more good-target masking. There are very few detector models that will allow me to use a full iron rejection [size=small](of the common iron targets that fall in the designed 'iron' range of a model)[/size] and still get a digable hit on a coin laying on my Nail Board Performance Test.

I don't have a problem detecting with a non-display detector at typical "relic hunting" sites, and when I use a model with visual TID I might glance at the numeric reading, but often I don't. I like to go by the audio response, and with different makes and models I might use some form of audio Tone information they provide ... sometimes. One of the things I like about the XLT is that it does offer a FEW needed adjustable features, and it is relatively easy to work up some Custom Programs. One thing I DON'T like, however, is that there are too many adjustments or too much range of some adjustments and that results in poor performance for a lot of people, depending upon the types of sites they hunt and how radical their settings are.

Remember, too, that many of the interesting targets we are likely to find [size=small](or we try to intentionally)[/size] are of unusual shape anf metal make-up which can cause us some trouble. Buttons are one prime example. Most are kind of roundish in shape, but some are 'flat' types, some are domed. Some have holes and others don't. Some are all of one metal alloy content, while other might have one metal for the front of the button, and a different metal used for the back of the button, and then again some might have a diffident type of metal used for the button hook or loop. The result can be a more inconsistent TID/VDI read-out.

Okay, after that rambling I will close by stating my preferred search coil for a more open area is an 8", such as the Royal 800. For trashier and brushier locations I opt for the 6½" Concentric coil [size=small](Blue Max 600 or 5.3 Bullseye)[/size].

I use my #1 preferred Custom Program that I called 'Bushwhack'.

My Bushwhack program uses the following adjustments.:

Target Volume .. 62
Audio Threshold .. 6 [size=small](Or a setting that's proper for your hearing and the headphones used.)[/size]
Tone [size=small](Audio Frequency)[/size] .. 225
Audio Disc. ..On
Silent Search .. Off
Mixed Mode .. Off
AC Sensitivity .. 75
DC Sensitivity .. 35
Backlight '.. 0
Viewing Angle .. 25

Ratchet Pinpoint .. Off
S.A.T. Speed .. 7
Tone ID .. On
VCO Audio .. On
Absolute Value .. Off
Modulation .. On

Auto-Trac .. Off
Track View .. On
Auto-Trac Speed .. 14
Auto-Trac Offset .. +1
Track Inhibit .. Off
Course GEB .. N/A
Fine GEB .. N/A

Disc. Reject .. -95 to -41
Disc. Accept .. -40 to +95

Learn Reject .. Off
Learn Accept .. Off
Recovery Speed .. 20
Bottle Cap reject .. 1

Visual Disc. ,, On
Icons .. On
VDI Sensitivity .. 85
DC Phase .. Off
Graph Averaging .. On
Graph Accumulate .. On
Fade rate .. 7

Transmit Boot .. On
Transmit Frequency .. 4
Pre Amp Gain .. 10

Get to a site and adjust P-A G if desired or needed and hunt away.

Monte

Okay Monte. Here were/are my differences I hD been using for cw relic hunting...
Mixed mode equals on
Tone ID equals on
AutoTrak equals on
Track view equals off
AutoTrak speed equals 8
Recovery speed equals 14
DC phase equals on
Graph average equals on
Transmit frequency equals 2.

These are the only differences I have from my "tried and used" relic program at Cw hunting sites. But I have programmed yours tonight and named it MONTE. I can't wait to see how it performs in a few hours from now. I'll let you know when I return, but I'm off to bed for a few hours.

Talk soon buddy.
Bubba.
Transmit frequency equals 2