Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XLT opinion please

BillF

There is a Spectrum XLT where I live for sale for $300. Is this a good deal?
I appreciate whatever you tell me. Thanks.

Excellent detector at a good price.

[size=x-large][/size] The XLT and DFX were the last of the popular 4-filter programmable motion Discriminators. Most detectors made today are 2-filter slow-motion Discriminators, with few exceptions such as the White's MXT series to include the M6 and MX5 which are based on 3-filter technology. The 4-filter circuitry designed detectors used to require a rather brisk fast-motion sweep, but with proper control adjustments on the XLT it can be a more moderate sweep speed.

I mention this first because if a person is very familiar with a slow-motion/quick-response detector such as a Tesoro or current Teknetics, or the White's Classic series and 'M' series, they might have a little trouble transitioning to an XLT which requires a more moderate-to-fast coil motion. Also, the XLT, like other 4-filter types, has what we refer to as more "ring time". That means the target response "rings on" longer before it restores or resets to respond to the nest target. It is not a quick-response. This is more noticeable with an XLT operating at the factory default program settings but in-the-field performance can be enhanced with just a few simple adjustment changes.

So for those who are too accustomed to a quick-response detector, or who just don't have the patience to put in the time to work with an XLT and learn it, then that could be a Bad condition in my opinion. However, if any savvy detectorists learns an XLT and uses it with the best settings and in the right applications and conditions, that can definitely be a Good thing.

[size=x-large][/size] There were only two main circuitry versions of the XLT. The original 1.0 when introduced, and after a short while the changed a program a little and came out with version 1.1 which is what almost all XLT's you'll encounter will have. If you use your own Custom Programs, then the version number doesn't matter.

[size=x-large][/size] There were also two 'package' versions of the XLT. The original 'rainbow' model with the thin 950 coil and the 'rainbow' decal, and the latter e-series XLT. The e-series had the thin-profile 950 coil at first and later transitioned to the newer-shaped 950 coil housing. Same coil, different housing.

[size=x-large][/size] A reasonable price is really a matter of the XLT's age or 'package', and the XLT's physical condition, be it pristine, reasonably clean, or a bit used and scratched/dirty/dinged. If the one you're mentioning is in very good condition and works properly, then $300 is a very good price. I just received my current XLT on Monday. It cost me $350 and it the e-series with the thin coil [size=small](which I prefer of the two 950's)[/size] and is in at least 95% physical condition.

[size=x-large][/size] Is the discontinued XLT competitive in today's detector market? Yes, it certainly is, at least in MY opinion, as long as the XLT operator learns its strengths and weaknesses, makes a few MINOR adjustment enhancements for a Custom Program and not get carried away [size=small](and it is easy to make some bad adjustments that can impair performance)[/size], and then mount the best search coil for the site conditions and search needs. Once that's done, just have patience and learn the XLT to master the most effective sweep speed for the site environment.

I just loaded my three programs in yesterday and now I'm just waiting for some warmer weather to arrive and bring us up out of the teens and twenties we've been in. Thaw the frozen ground a bit and the XLT & I will be out having some fun. The XLT is a very good detector, but for me it is not my primary-use unit. That would be my MXT All-Pro and then the MX5 for hunting trashier and brushier sites. I consider the XLT to be my fun "cruising unit" for searching more open areas like big grassy parks and sports fields where target count is a little more sparse.

So check out that XLT and if it looks clean and works fine, $300 is a bargain! If you buy it and have any questions while learning it, feel welcome to shoot me an e-mail.

Monte

I would call that a fair price, certainty not a bargain depending on what, if anything, comes with it.

Jump on it, That money will always come back to you if you decided you wanted to sell. Good Luck, Mine has been good to me for over 20 years now and I found lots of stuff. Again I say go for it

$300 is a fair price. If you spend a year going to garage sales and pawn shops you might find one cheaper, but any one advertised at less than $300 will get snapped up pretty quick!

It looks to be little used but comes with nothing extra. The person claims they spent around $1200 for it. I don't know the newer Whites which is why I asked for an opinion on it. Maybe I'd be better off putting the money toward a V3 series. Hmm....
Thanks for the info.

if you shoot me an e-mail, maybe I can help you over to one side or the other.

The XLT can be good, but it is simple older technology that can still work with the right programming and field use.

Of course that applies to every make and model out there, but I have enjoyed XLT's for over twenty years and know them pretty well. I have plenty of other detectors so the XLT just fills a little 'void' for me as a "Cruising Unit" for open areas.

You just mentioned the VX3 which, quite honestly, is the best upper-cost White's, in my opinion, and is the modern technology of a great "Cruising Unit" that is simple to maneuver through the various settings, and provides very impressive depth and performance. It was the obvious 'best step up' I could see from an XLT.

Monte

Monte, I'm not really on the fence. I saw this detector and wondered if it was an opportunity I shouldn't pass up. If a V series comes up at a great price I may try to pick it up. I've kind of steered clear of most of the Whites models because the control box looks soooo big and heavy.
I just see and hear some good stories about the Whites and figure I'll give it a try.

they used to be, and the detectors are actually very well balanced. Some detectors with smaller and/or lighter housings still have coils, or bigger coils everyone asks for, on the far end of the rod and that causes them to balance terribly. Much better comfort with an XLT or MXT All-Pro or VX3, etc., in my opinion .... and I use them. :thumbup:

Monte

PS: I'll drop you a PM later.

BillF said:
It looks to be little used but comes with nothing extra. The person claims they spent around $1200 for it. I don't know the newer Whites which is why I asked for an opinion on it. Maybe I'd be better off putting the money toward a V3 series. Hmm....
Thanks for the info.

I spent right at $1200 for a brand new V3i so hopefully he did not pay that much.

It looked to me like they may have cast $1000 or more in their time. I'mnot going to spend money on older technology, not when the newer stuff is so much better.
I figured they must be pretty well balanced as there are so many using them. I am really curious about how the V3i will do in our older parks.

BillF said:
It looked to me like they may have cast $1000 or more in their time.
The MSRP for a brand new XLT was $899.95, so if he paid more it would have bbeen adding on search coils, headphones, etc.

BillF said:
I'mnot going to spend money on older technology, not when the newer stuff is so much better.
Yes, the XLT is slightly dated technology, when compared with modern 'digital' detector designs, however ..... I wouldn't classify the XLT as "old technology" overall because it still works well and can find target just like before. It might have been 'upstaged' a bit, yes, but they can still work quite w ell for the right applications, as any good detector, and if you can nab one that is really clean at a great price [size=small](which is what I just did)[/size] then go for it! We're warming up and supposed to have a mostly clean and sunny Sunday and I plan to put my new-to-me XLT through the paces in search of anything good I can find.

BillF said:
I figured they must be pretty well balanced as there are so many using them. I am really curious about how the V3i will do in our older parks.
Yes, I think they all balance very nicely. The XLT will hit the parks and find coins, old and new. The VX3 and V3i share quite a few of the same features and in-the-field performance. For ME, I lean a little more towards 'simplicity' and I prefer my XLT and VX3 to the V3i. I will admit that the VX3 can provide a bit more depth of detection than the XLT, but 'depth' isn't always all it is cracked up to be.

Monte

Two big advantages of the XLT over the V3 series.

Cost, if you shop, you can ger a clean XLT for $250 or less. Likewise extra coils are inexpensive used - $25 - $75 typically.

Bigfoot. You can still get a used bigfoot for the XLT for $200 or a bit less if you look really hard. I had a Bigfoot for my V3, when I sold the V3 I got $1k. I sold the Bigfoot for $400 - the going price for bigfoot for DfX series and above. Also, Although I no longer have a V series and a bigfoot for it to compare,it to, the bigfoot on my XLT goes as deep as,the 9.5" coil. I am really sure the Bigfoot on my V wasn't nearly as deep.

Oh yes, I also have a Magnum Force 25" coil in case I want to go hunting for old trash pits or privies. It detects a railroad spike at 2' and an 8" circular saw blade at 3 1/4 feet.

Great fun for less than $500 for the whole kit!

One more general comment.

When Whites started making programmable detectors, they had to make default programs. Far beyond the old marker triangles for the knobs on the analog machines.

For were probably good reasons, the pre programmed ones were all pretty tame, making for example, my V3i seem like a detector with no real depth.

To get real spark out of an XLT, DFX or V3, you have to dig into lots of settings and play around in your dirt and your targets to find combinations that find what you are hunting for. It isn't easy and a lot of folks decide it's not for them.

My Deus has the same sort of range of variables, but all of the pre programmed modes are ptetty "sparky". When I tune up my XLT it goes as deep as the Deus and comes surprisingly close in ability to sniff out medium and high conductors amongst iron trash. The Signagraphmis a bery superior diisplay for this purpose bumthe way - if set up for that work.

I just received my XLT e-series manufactured in 2010. It is brand new condition never used not a scratch. I paid $500.00 (call me crazy)but was worth it to me for the unit is perfect condition and that was what I searched for for weeks. (call me a bit picky) I am happy and look forward to the fun the XLT will give me for I had one before and loved it. I am going to get another whites detector down the road a bit, MXT ALL PRO and if I can find a IDX PRO in great condition.I am just getting back into detecting.

My research found them selling from at low end $300.00 -$400.00 GREATLY depending on condition, use and age of detector. I did see a few sell Closer to $450.00 to just under $500.00 for detectors in GREAT condition low use and age. I searched both on the big list site and the big auction site for many weeks. I did a nation wide search on the big list site and finally found one there five hours from me in new condition never used and was very plasently surprised. So I'm very happy.
I just wanted to throw this all out there may help someone looking at them. like I said I watched and searched for many weeks.
Thank you :twodetecting: