Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XLT vs MXT for nugget shooting

Doing my due diligence in looking for a new detector. I currently have a Fisher GB 2 for shooting smaller nuggets. I am looking at purchasing an "all-around" machine to do some coin/relic/etc hunting as well as nugget shooting/prospecting.

I have seen the videos on both products (MXT and XLT). Both say they have the ability to prospect (I know both can find relics, coins, jewelry so that isn't the question). I see on a regular basis that the MXT is and can be used in nugget shooting.

Do any of you have that experience using the XLT? I would like to have a more digitally based detector, but only if it is going to be the equal of the MXT. (yeah, I want my cake and to eat it too! :))

What say the rest of you XLT users? Do you use the XLT for gold detecting/prospecting? How successful? Do you use the standard program or have you customized the programs? If so, how?

Much thanks for any and all responses.

Sodbuster27

Go to the MXT forum for more info on nugget hunting. There have been some very impressive posts about nugget hunting with the MXT. You might have to go back a couple of months. From what I read, the MXT could be the best nugget hunter without going to a dedicated detector.

[size=large]Consider the MXT. The only competition for it is the Minelab X-Terra 70. Both are good at coin, relic, jewelry AND nugget hunting.

The XLT & DFX have a Prospecting "program" but they were not designed with the intent of being good nugget hunting detectors.

Does the XLT prospecting program work? Yes, and I have use it to locate gold nuggets, but they were decent size and in a lower-mineral environment without a lot of challenging rocks around. Smooth textured ground, not too deep, and I was using the 6

I have used both here in Australia and would pick the MXT any day over the XLT. As the ground gets worse the MXT really shines and in atual fact I beleive it will beat an X Terra 70 in the really changeable ground such as we encounter over here. In quiet ground you dont notice much difference but as it gets worse the SAT control gives it such an edge that it takes over. My coil choices for it would be the 10" Eclipse DD and the 5.3 Eclipse concnetric. For gold that is.
Where I work we have sold plenty of MXT's and have not had one compliant in regrds to it handling bad ground.