Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XP and iron

I own an Etrac and love the way it blocks out iron. I ordered an XP bu was watching a video of an XP in action and the user complained that it picked up iron and gave good signals. He was disappointed in that it costs so much and he still digs iron. How are we going to deal with that? I gave up on my Fisher's because of the iron I was digging. I hope I don't end up digging old iron again. I love my Etrac but am very intrigued with the XP's see through capability.

Identifying iron is no problem for the Deus, you just have to know how to use it.

Finder82 said:
Identifying iron is no problem for the Deus, you just have to know how to use it.

[size=large]Hi Find'

Tell the man what he should know, otherwise what's the point of you posting ?

I for one, am very interested in the detail of your reply, because the answer to the enquiry is not a simple, "Yes or No".

TheMarshall[/size]

TheMarshall said:
Finder82 said:

[size=large]Hi Find'

Tell the man what he should know, otherwise what's the point of you posting ?

I for one, am very interested in the detail of your reply, because the answer to the enquiry is not a simple, "Yes or No".

TheMarshall[/size]

Use the 12 or 8khz programs for identifying iron and the tip of the coil works too, for further iron id the non-motion audio disc will be usefull.

I agree with TheMarshall. I am very interested in the Deus as well but am trying to find out how it deals with iron. Most of my spots are iron laden. To get the Deus I would have to sell/trade in the machines I have, that is my dilemma.

Randy

iskirkra said:
I agree with TheMarshall. I am very interested in the Deus as well but am trying to find out how it deals with iron. Most of my spots are iron laden. To get the Deus I would have to sell/trade in the machines I have, that is my dilemma.

Randy

I also hunt very iron rich farmers fields, but i still dig very little iron with the Deus. The audio is the key for identifying larger iron and the id helps too. I may have to do a practice video about how to identify larger iron targets with the Deus.

When your Etrac "blocks" out that iron or nulls, your also risking the chance of nulling over a good target.
That's whole idea behind hearing the iron.

Nothing better in iron period.

[size=large]Thanks Find' for the prompt reply.

As you have indicated, using 'other' frequencies may help to better resolve those iron pieces which invariably are problematic.

UK hunters primarily seek the thin sectioned hammered silver and gold coins, which by default implies using 18 KHz.

Now under those dictates, flat rusty iron and circular rings of the same material, produce positive audio responses.

Depending on depth and ground conditions ...dampness etc. the VDI can be in the 90's.

No amount of playing with the coil orientation seems to alleviate matters on large iron at depth.

'Using the tip of the coil' was an old adage of John Lynn's, (RIP dear friend).

He developed it for the XP Goldmax series, for id'ing shot gun cartridge ends.

Alas, the Deus version didn't appear to work for the many deep iron pieces located on last Sunday's outing.

I was field testing the CS6 MXi (17 KHz) in the company of two Deus's, and cross-checking all finds.

Big, deep, damp, rusty iron is a problem to ALL detectors.....even the magical E-Trac.

The punch line being.....single frequency mode in particular, has disadvantages as well as advantages.

To have to switch frequencies...is a chore.

So the dear V3i and E-Trac, despite their weight, are not dead and buried...

Their makers simply need to re-package them and learn the ever important criteria......

No matter how good your detector performs, someone has to swing it for several hours.

The DEUS has been available now for two years.......and the day of judgement has arrived for Luddite designers.

I am anticipating some rapid and welcome responses from my favourite manufacturers.

Fisher products are an elegant example of ergonomics, display, and battery economy.....they just need to provide a better selection of 'audio recovery adjustment'

[/size]

TheMarshall

:blink: wow no need to shout m8 lol the brands are trying to make it as enjoyable as much as possible to continue our progression and passion in our search for fiddlybits in the ground :please: xp,s are all about audio and it recives and tells you it is iron instead of working against it so quicker in the old dig or dont departement and deep iron yes fair enough gets dug but if you ever have the chance to walk over a much better conductive mass or deep metal you will notice the diference in the audio its not like theres pots of gold everywhere lol xp,s tell you its iron with the low growl tone and mixed tone thumps on bigger stuff n then the deep stuff is very often sweet till you move the soil then theres a growl,thats what the iron volume is for, ok its iron walk on, inless you want to see if its a key,knife horseshoe cannonball gun etc or mostly up comes another random lump lol its still helping in understanding your ground and settings to use on it and yes the edge of coil growl realy works aspecialy when your on quiet ground and trying to work slow and deep with a bigger coil, its just down to using what the machine has for your search type and ground

Marshall, thank you for your response. It was informative. I have ordered one and hope I did not make a mistake. Love my Etrac.

TheMarshall said:
[size=large]Thanks Find' for the prompt reply.

As you have indicated, using 'other' frequencies may help to better resolve those iron pieces which invariably are problematic.

UK hunters primarily seek the thin sectioned hammered silver and gold coins, which by default implies using 18 KHz.

Now under those dictates, flat rusty iron and circular rings of the same material, produce positive audio responses.

Depending on depth and ground conditions ...dampness etc. the VDI can be in the 90's.

No amount of playing with the coil orientation seems to alleviate matters on large iron at depth.

'Using the tip of the coil' was an old adage of John Lynn's, (RIP dear friend).

He developed it for the XP Goldmax series, for id'ing shot gun cartridge ends.

Alas, the Deus version didn't appear to work for the many deep iron pieces located on last Sunday's outing.

I was field testing the CS6 MXi (17 KHz) in the company of two Deus's, and cross-checking all finds.

Big, deep, damp, rusty iron is a problem to ALL detectors.....even the magical E-Trac.

The punch line being.....single frequency mode in particular, has disadvantages as well as advantages.

To have to switch frequencies...is a chore.

So the dear V3i and E-Trac, despite their weight, are not dead and buried...

Their makers simply need to re-package them and learn the ever important criteria......

No matter how good your detector performs, someone has to swing it for several hours.

The DEUS has been available now for two years.......and the day of judgement has arrived for Luddite designers.

I am anticipating some rapid and welcome responses from my favourite manufacturers.

Fisher products are an elegant example of ergonomics, display, and battery economy.....they just need to provide a better selection of 'audio recovery adjustment'

[/size]

TheMarshall
i am sorry but i have read this over and over and you are just full of pants i think you need to enjoy finding stuff more and get out more and then you might find what is fact or fiction instead of spouting total pish about people and uk and all the other pants i seem to see you shouting n just making things misguided for others who want to share real findings, experiances n enjoy what we are part of ,go detecting man pfffffff

I read an article on the large iron signals on the Deus being high tones. The post said that if you start raising the coil , if it is iron the numbers will drop, on a good target the tone will stay high and the number
stable until the VID reaches a point where it will not read the target but still gives a high tone.

I have not tried it yet.

Tom in SC

It has been my experience that some large cut nails and larger iron will read 97-98 in the 18Khz setting with a high tone but most coins quarter size and smaller will be at 93 or lower....

Do you not understand the basic things he stated about the Deus along with the V3 and E-Trac in iron or are you just put out because he stated the Deus is not a perfect machine in every way possible?

Ray-Mo. said:
It has been my experience that some large cut nails and larger iron will read 97-98 in the 18Khz setting with a high tone but most coins quarter size and smaller will be at 93 or lower....
ok cool the info im tryna get across is the audio signal recognition will give you the confidence to recognise big nails n deep iron and not need numbers to rely on

Little settings video by Ged Dodd "Peacehaven's" in England. He sets the Basic 2 to 4khz to check for iron. Also included is setting up non-motion "Squeeler Mode".

http://youtu.be/2iojMbmIdUI