Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XTerra strength and weakness...

A

Anonymous

Here is what I think about the Xterra 50 so far.

I got it in the very small Minelab Box with UPS and had it set up in a few minutes.

First thing I noticed was that I had to use the last hole toward the control box in the middle rod to make it fit to my size. I think smaller guys will have problems to adjust it to there size.

It comes with a coil cover that doesn`t fit very nice to the coil, but it doesn`t fall off .
The grip is a little bit on the hard side, I would like a softer grip.

Weight and balance is nice and the display is easy to read because of the big numbers.

While hunting the detector is silent until it detects a target. I found it to be a very sensitive detector because it can pick up the smallest pieces of metal.

The notch system is about the same like Garretts. And the discriminator/notch system has the same weaknesses like the Garrett system. Reading corroded nails like coins , not locking nice on lower conductive targets like nickels. I expected a better ID system from Minelab .

I had no problem finding nickels even they don`t lock on nice because I used Garrett detectors a lot and can tell a nickel by the audio signal. I wouldn`t wonder if Minelab bought the Notch/Disc System from Garrett because it feels exactly like that.

I don`t like the idea that you have to by different coils to change the frequency because you have to buy coils now to change the frequency and to change the coil size. You could end up having a 9 inch 7.5 KHz coil and a 9 inch 18 KHz coil and the same in 5 inch or DD.......

That would be more expensive than buying an Explorer 2 with standard and a smaller coil.

The Xterra is sensitive and lightweigt, but thats it for now. Target ID on other detectors like Explorer, Whites MXT are much better right out of the box.

Sorry I have to say that this Xterras are NOT new wonder detectors. They will find metal deep like other top of the line 600 $ detectors but it won`t beat the Whites MXT.

Let me end by stating that I am not a dealer and I have no connection in any way to detector companies and pay for my detectors like most here on the forum.

I think the guys who have to sell there one and only detector to buy the Xterra should know not to expect wonders from the new detector.

Don`t jump on me for what I wrote because it is just MY opinion. Other guys may see that different.

HH, Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the post. I've been waiting for the inevitable backlash that comes from all the discussion of the X-Terra 50 versus machines like the Minelab Explorer.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The X-Terra 50 is not the new wonder machine that will replace all the top end units for far less money. I think comparisons of the X-Terra 50 should be confined to other machines selling for around $600. Beating it up for not outperforming more expensive units is a bit unfair.

Do you have any more thoughts on the X-Terra 50 versus other machines that list for $699?

Steve Herschbach

Steve, if you would read my post again you will see that i was complaining about the Target ID System. Not only the Explorer has a way better System, the MXT has too. Streetprice of the MXT is about 640$ i think. Relaesing a 600$ (Streetprice) detector with a weak TID system just is not what the user expects from any company.

HH,
Andy

I am just wondering how many hour you have on your yet. I find that it may not beat many of the top of the line detectors, but the more I use mine the more I am understanding it. I still am seeing some rusty nails, but trying to see the difference in the signal versus the coins and been able to call many before dug. I am seeing it is very sensitive on smaller items more than some of the top of the line detectors which will make it have a learning curve too to tell the good from the bad.
My first couple of hours I wondered on this detector too, but now that I have used it a bit I feel more comfortable with it and at this time I like my MXT better for what it can do, but feel the X-TERRA may out hunt it when I learn it a bit better.
Myself the coil cover on mine fit real good and better than any Tesoro or any of the Garrett GTI I have used. I have taken mine off the clean it and it was not real easy to get off, but yet easy and easy to put back on.

I will know more on mine after I have used it more, like to get a good 40-60 hours on it before I decide if it will be a keeper or not. Like the Sovereigns and the Explorers you just got to learn the language before you can understand it.

Rick

Hi Andy,

That's cool... just asking. Obviously the Explorer will do better, and the MXT does have more target resolution. I personally did not have the problems with target id you have described but maybe you were chasing deeper targets. Target id at depth is always an issue.

Thanks for your comments!

Steve Herschbach

What it comes down to is: Shouldn't a target ID system eliminate or reduce the guessing about a target in the ground ?
What is a target ID worth if the numbers bounce on good targets like a nickel ? We are not talking about a cheap brand here where you would expect weak target ID.
Better no target ID than a bad one that tells you not to dig on a good target. Don't forget that a change from one number to the next could be a differnce of 6 VDI numbers ! But often it bounces more than one number on a good target.
People will find good stuff with the XTerras as with any other metal detector. The XTerras where made to be easy to use and understand detectors, but they are not.

HH,
Andy

No, not age. Today's the wife's 51st birthday and I have her beat by a few. :(

When I got the X-Terra 50 I decided to swap out batteries at about 25 hours regardless of their indicated condition. In time I will do more recording of On and Off times to check out battery life. For now, my 'Kirkland' (Costco's house label) AA alkaline batteries are doing fine. The 8-AA batteries that it takes to run an MXT or XLT or XL Pro from less time are able to provide me with 50 hours of run-time with the X-Terra 50!

The fresh set I have in there now I am going to use to start monitoring operating time, but I have been able to get in enough time to get a much better feel for the X-Terra 50's strengths and weaknesses ... as far as I am concerned for my hunting ... and have compared it afield with several models in a close price and/or feature range.

As for the Garrett GTP-1350, it is essentially the same as the GTAx-1250, which I prefer of the two. Why? Because while the 'profiling' feature might work a little, it doesn't always work, and isn't really needed, either. I prefer to listen to the audio to make most of my decisions. Also, the GTP-1350 can become annoying when you go into Pinpoint and then back to discrimination operation because it then has the profiling audio and you have to repress and exit Pinpoint to get back to a standard and more pleasant audio.

The GTP-1350 has a suggested retail $100 more than the X-Terra 50. It have a heavier standard coil and, overall, doesn't balance quite as well, for me at least. The GTP-1350 does have 24 notch segments compared with the X-Terra 50's 18, but is lacks the 4-tone audio ID which, to me, provides far more flexibility and usefulness than the extra segments.

The GTP-1350 has a menu with a few more features, but you have to enter the menu and scroll all the way thru the long list to access all the adjustments, whereas the X-Terra 50 has a Menu to quickly get to three adjustment functions, and separate controls for selecting the modes. Additionally, the X-Terra 50 has an easy-to-adjust Ground Balance, and a Pinpoint more that is far superior to the Garrett GTP or GTAx models. Most of those have a much too negative preset GB in the Pinpoint and, if hunting in very mineralized ground, it will be non-functional over a hole or uneven ground, usually falsing over a hole. Not so with the Minelab X-Terra 50's Pinpoint mode.

Also, I find the Garrett's to have a good speaker audio sound, but many types of headphones used result in an ugly-sounding audio response. The X-Terra 50's audio is clean, by comparison, and the operator can set the target volume for the speaker and headphones independent of the other.

I do like the Garrett GTAx/GTP armcup design, and I do like the rod length adjustments you can set. I do not like the sloppy rod due to a lack of rod-locks.

I do not like the Minelab X-Terra 50's chosen rod lengths because I, like Andy, have to have mine shortened to the shortest possible hole and that makes it unfit (or unfitting) for many of my smaller female hunting friends.

Comparing the Tesoro models, we have really only the DeLe

I do not know if you have properly adjusted the ground balance, But I would suggest that you take a look at that. With that not being proper it will Id in correct. this is only an area you may need to experiment with.

Bouncing: The bouncing is from the number being close on the scale.
If may have a target value of 10, the detector may read it as 9 and/or 12 which is the case with nickels. This was the case with my beach testing today.

The X-terra is most certainly going to do better on the higher conductors like copper and silver rather than nickle and lower conductors (due to the 7.5 Khz operating frequency). I will be interested to see how the 18.75 Khz coil reacts to the same nickle! Personally, I can live with this anomoly as most of the coins I generally hunt for are the higher conductors and the X-terra does it WELL for that application. I think it's worth the money for the simple fact it's so light and only uses 4 AAs to operate. Sure it wont replace my Sov XS but it is a REALLY nice suppliment for sure! My two zincs....HH George Fatizzi

which is the case with nickels."

So if an ID value of 10 is detected the numeric display will show:
[attachment 10375 x50ten.jpg]

Or if an ID value of 10 is detected the numeric display may show a nine with the corresponding segments lit:
[attachment 10377 x50nine.jpg]

Or if an ID value of 10 is detected the numeric display may show a twelve with the corresponding segments lit:

[attachment 10378 x5012v.jpg]

HH
BarnacleBill

I remember years back someone I believe was labeled 2 Hour Stan gave a report on the Explorer and he got clobbered. I believe you need to give a detector atlease 10 hours or more of digging targets to get a real honest report.

Thanks!!

Just a note, however. The MSRP on the Garrett GTP 1350 is $699.95, so is same as X-Terra 50. The "street price" of $559 is actually less.

My main issue with the GTP 1350 is the 4.1 pound weight. That alone makes me prefer the X-Terra 50.

Steve Herschbach

This is why my first impression was not as good as after I used it a bit. I remember the Sovereign and how the first impression was "what did I waste my money on" after a few hours it was it is a OK detector, but after a week it was this is a great detector and after a month it was "WOW this is the greatest detector I have ever used as it is making these worked out area virgin areas again, only now it is getting IH pennies, barber and some seated plus look at all the V Nickle there is that been missed.It just took time to learn with the Sovereign with its language was telling me and understanding what it was telling me.
I think we will see some X-TERRAs for sale as many want a detector that without getting to know the detector wants it to find only the good targets and ID them right on 99% of the time. Once they have tried them they will sell them and look for the next one without spending the time to understand the one they have.
Then there will be those die hards that will spend the time and dig a lot of trash just to see that it is trash and soon they will know what the detector is telling them and start finding the good targets one after another.
A minimum of 10 hours to understand what the controls do and another 30-40 of actual Field use should be required to get to know the detector.
In 5 hours time I have seen some good and some bad, but the more I use it the lass the bad I have seen, the reason is I am starting to understand it more every time I use it.

Rick

to try it out at that site with the cinders yet? I'm real curious how it handles them compard to the Excel. Also, how's she doing spotting stuff in iron?

Thanks
Tom

Monte,
I ran my first set of copper-tops for 38 hours and they still gave me a 3/4 battery icon. I changed them anyway because I am not familiar enough with the X-Terra to make that call. The set I have in now has about 22 hours on them and still shows a full icon. These darn things are unbelievable on power consumption. Makes my analog XL Pro look like a pig!!! HH Randy

I only have a couple of hours on it to be honest and that was at a fresh water beach in the sand and the yard of a 1700's farm house. I will say the farm house had a LOT of iron in the ground as I could hear all the low tones with every swep. It didn't sem to have any problem pulling a pewter shoe buckle out of that stuff. It came in at about 9/12 on the meter. I've yet to take it to my tough schoolhouse yet with the cinders but I promise to post when I do. I will say this: I'm EXTREMELY impressed that Minelab finally came through with a powerful, ergonomic and above all LIGHT unit. This is a winner for sure! They got everything right as far as I'm concerned. The digital numbers on the meter are so huge, you'd have to be BLIND not to see them. The controls are very user friendly also. I have to admit, I haven't even read the manual yet but didn't need to in order to start having fun right off the bat. Few detectors make me feel like I'm having fun when I detect and this is surely one of them! HH George

it helps a lot as I know we look for similar things in a detector. I really appreciate and look forward to reading further reports from you.

Thanks again!
HH Tom