Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yesterday My 3 Month Post-Prostatectomy PSA Was Undetectable :smile: Guys, Get Your Prostate Checked Before It "Checks" You. :stretcher:

John-Edmonton

Staff member
Last fall some cancer was discovered in my prostate. Luckily, I caught it early and I am so far clear of cancer. If you are 40 years or older and haven't gone for the dreaded test, better get it done. I was out lightly metal detecting 8 days after the surgery on the snow hills.

John B. Registered Nurse

Congrats John. Nothing like a new lease on life for anybody.
John-Edmonton said:
. I was out lightly metal detecting 8 days after the surgery

And U only found 8 Rings :rofl:

John, how do the check you, is it the bend over method, just wondering if they have new ways, I get the old way every 2 years and never get use to it

Great news John. I have a question in relation to sniffy's question about the bend over method. A couple of years ago I read or heard on TV that they had decided the bend over method wasn't an accurate check. I noticed over the next year that my doctor at the VA had stopped doing that type of exam, but I get my blood tested, including a PSA test every 6 months. Is that the way they check now? I know some of you guys may think we should only be talking about metal detecting with the ATPro, but this is an important subject to all men, especially us old guys. I once read that 80% of men who live to be 80 will get Prostate cancer. Sorry if this offends anyone. Skip

Good post John ......Not offensive at all ....it's a fact of LIFE .....LIFE is the operative word here ......

John,
I thought it was too cold for Cancer to grow up by you !!....Glad your numbers are good .....Mine is in the .01 range ........They caught it in time .......Thank God !!!....Jim

You guys are freaking me out now.

John, did you have any symptoms that warranted a doctor visit, or were you in for a regular exam?

I'll be 42 this coming august 4th. When I turned 35 I went to the doctor for a general wellness exam and she laughed at me and said to come back when I was 45. Now I know why she was laughing...that visit cost me $200. I should start going once or twice a year now that I am fully insured.

The only symptoms you get is a slower stream of urine, urinating more often, having dificulty voiding or getting up to the bathroom numerous times at night. That means your prostate might be getting enlarged, but not necessarily cancerous. That's why a PSA (Prostate surface antigan) blood test is done to see if it increases over time. A biopsy is neccessary to confrm cancer. There are several treatments available to treat it.

It can be checked by running a PSA test ......It can be checked anytime your doctor draws blood , as it's done in a blood test .......Your doctor should be able to tell you whats going on when he gets the results back ...... Just like checking your sugar level , and cholestaral level, and other levels, they can also check your PSA level ......As Skippers said , 80% of men who live to be 80 have Prostate Cancer to some degree ....At this age , the doctors say that something else will kill you before Prostate Cancer does ......Somehow , it grows fast in younger men .....This is why it's so important to have ti checked at your annual physical ......You DO get an annual physical don't you ? .......VERY IMPORTANT especially from the age of 40 plus .....Too many bad things can happen to us as we grow older !!.....Jim

The bend over method done by an experienced DR. can tell if the prostate glans is enlarged and/or has some cancerous mass on the outside. The PSA levels are in indicator of a large prostate, which generally happens to most men from midlife on. That does not indicate cancer. However, because cancer growth can be much faster then the prostate itself getting larger over time, a rapidly increasing PSA level should be investigated further.

That's usually sufficient. Tell your doctor if you are taking longer to empty your bladder (slower stream) when voiding or an increase with the number of times you get up at night to void.

My Prostate Cancer was found from a blood test .....My Prostate never was swollen, nor did it have any mass on it .......My doctor just thought that it would be a good idea to have the PSA done thru a blood test because of my age.......Good thing he did , because it was at a lower level , but was climbing every 3 mos as I had it checked to get a reading on how fast it was growing .....Catch it early , you're in good shape .....Let it go ......It will let you go !!..... It's too easy to have checked ......As John said .....HAVE IT CHECKED !!.....It's litterally a PITA , but it's one pain that can save your life !!.....Jim